Your Ad Here

PDA

View Full Version : UNC game--2010?

uscGRAD04
07-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Heard UNC is trying to get out of playing us in 2010?

Anybody else hear this.

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
link?

uscGRAD04
07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I heard it on 107.5 The Game this morning and saw it posted on another message board as well.... I'll try and find some concrete info. though

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I heard it on 107.5 The Game this morning and saw it posted on another message board as well.... I'll try and find some concrete info. though

Interesting if true. This would piss their fans off I'm sure and surely put UNC in a bad light. Not saying that it's not true, I just have a hard time believing it.

MBGCockOld
link?
http://www.ajc.com/sports/lsu-north-carolina-will-kickoff-2010-season-at-ga-dome-101855.html

Damn yellow belly, stuck up their own asses, to good for that, pieces of shit. Hyman needs to get a shit ton of money from these assholes.

uscGRAD04
LSU and North Carolina have worked out because both teams need a 12th game for the 2010 schedule, Stokan said. However, to secure the date, North Carolina will probably move a game with South Carolina to another season.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/lsu-north-carolina-will-kickoff-2010-season-at-ga-dome-101855.html

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
So they're not dodging us, they're actually stepping up in competition. Guess that will not piss their fans off.

Why not keep their game with us? Was it set for the 1st week of the season just like the NCSt game is this year?

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
If they can change the game, then why cant we say no to them breaking the contract?

spurmanski
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
:shotgunc:Ladda disgustin body substances above

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
If they can change the game, then why cant we say no to them breaking the contract?

Word on the UNC boards is that UNC does not want to cancel the out of confernce home games due to the $$ that it brings in and since this will be a very high profile games, the SEC is asking SCAR to cooperate with rescheduling UNC for another season.

My issue is that if we reschedule for 2011 that means we'll have an ooc schedule of UNC, Clemson, ECU and ?. That's a pretty stout ooc.

GARNETANDBLACK#1
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm... Should be as fun to watch for the SEC as Clemson-Alabama!!!:lol:

IBleedGarnetandBlack
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
doesn't surprise me one bit. They got their money out of us by having their home game of the series in 2007. I think it said on this board when this thing was scheduled they would probably pull this.

uscGRAD04
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Was it set for the 1st week of the season just like the NCSt game is this year?

I believe they were scheduled to lose to us the third game...between Georgia and Auburn game.

WeHailThee
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I actually don't blame them. It will almost certainly be a higher profile game, and UNC is jumping at the chance to be in the ACC vs SEC feature. We should just force them to buy out of the game, and then schedule a mid major and be done with it, that way it works out well for everybody.

GARNETANDBLACK#1
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Aggravating!! If I were one of their fans, I would feel embarassed. Play the darn game on your schedule and play LSU down the road!!:wink:

MWard
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Whatever, they got whooped the first game, they aren't even a good football school ( for pete's sake, they got the Tar kicked out of them by NC State last year). To me, it's the same as if Troy backed out. We'll just find another regional team to take a W from.

GARNETANDBLACK#1
07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Whatever, they got whooped the first game, they aren't even a good football school ( for pete's sake, they got the Tar kicked out of them by NC State last year). To me, it's the same as if Troy backed out. We'll just find another regional team to take a W from.

Good point, I forgot we're already playing the best football school from N.C. in NC State!!:clap:

COCKDIESEL
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Talking about it on 107.5

21-in-Right
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Why wouldn't the UNC/USC game be a good candidate for the Georgia Dome? It may not get national attention as well as LSU would, but it's still a decent match-up. Plus, it meets the ACC/SEC criteria.

Either way, it's an ass-whoopin' for UNC! :clap:

IHateOrange
07-28-2009, 01:36 PM
This sucks. I was looking forward to getting them at home. I had a GREAT time when we played them at their place.

Spurticus
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Michael Haney on 107.5 is absolutely pissed !!

He said that as soon as the original deal was signed with this
back in '05, that when he saw the terms of the contract, he
knew the game in Columbia would not be played. . . He is saying
that he's been saying this on the radio from back when he was
on AM 1300 and for the past two years on 107.5 that NC would
find a way to bail on USC in Columbia. He said that they are not
shirking the competition part, because LSU is as good as it gets,
but he said he knew all along when they split this thing in 2007
and 2010, and them originally wanting both games played in
Charlotte, that there was no way in Hell they would come to
the Game at Williams-Brice. He said even if this thing is allowed
not to happen, and they have to "reschedule it" a few years
down the line, NC will eventually just pay the cash to back out
of it and not make the trip down here.

Stonecoldcock
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
The only thing that gets me, is from the article, and the talk on 107.5, there seems to be no reason not to play both LSU and South Carolina in the same season. Seems the only issue is N. Carolina doesn't want to play two tough out of conference opponents.

Also, from those commenting earlier about the contract, according to the guys on 107.5, the contract was written so that UNC had an out for our game. So they would not be breaching the contract it seems, and Michael Haney has been saying that UNC would back out of this game since 2006 when it was signed, because of the way the contract was written.

09Gamecock
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
This is total bullshit. As if I didn't already hate UNC enough. Hyman better not back down on this. Bleed them dry on a buyout if that's what it comes to. We made the good faith gesture of going up to Chapel Hill in 2007 to start off the series. Hyman set the schedule up in advance nicely to balance out for numerous seasons in the future. We wanted UNC at home in a year we were playing Clemson on the road. The UNC match-up is a very big draw for us, and there are very few comparable replacement opponents. I say make them sign a fully binding contract to come down to Columbia TWICE in future seasons if we are to let them out of the 2010 game at this point.

COCKDIESEL
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

The only thing that gets me, is from the article, and the talk on 107.5, there seems to be no reason not to play both LSU and South Carolina in the same season. Seems the only issue is N. Carolina doesn't want to play two tough out of conference opponents.

Also, from those commenting earlier about the contract, according to the guys on 107.5, the contract was written so that UNC had an out for our game. So they would not be breaching the contract it seems, and Michael Haney has been saying that UNC would back out of this game since 2006 when it was signed, because of the way the contract was written.

That was Jay Phillips.

21-in-Right
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a good day to listen to "Primetime with the Packman."

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Why wouldn't the UNC/USC game be a good candidate for the Georgia Dome? It may not get national attention as well as LSU would, but it's still a decent match-up. Plus, it meets the ACC/SEC criteria.

Either way, it's an ass-whoopin' for UNC! :clap:
I think playing them at the Georgia dome would be stupid, playing at Carolina panthers stadium would be awesome. great exposure for both teams and it would will be a nationally televised game. I wanted to see this game so bad then these assholes had to be a pansy and back out, they skeered.

09Gamecock
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
This seriously just pisses me the f*ck off. Butch Davis is a f*cking weasel. I can't wait to root again that f*cking team every game they play. What a dipshit place to play football. All these recruits signing with UNC are completely gullible idiots. Hopefully our coaches will want to beat UNC on all our recruiting battles even more now than before.

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
The only thing that is missing is a smartass comment from Spurrier :]

Get'em Steve!

wilsonhallbarons
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
thats stupid:thumbs:

sc455
07-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I actually don't blame them. It will almost certainly be a higher profile game, and UNC is jumping at the chance to be in the ACC vs SEC feature. We should just force them to buy out of the game, and then schedule a mid major and be done with it, that way it works out well for everybody.
it doesnt work out well for me..i am paying alot of money to watch good football games and this years home schedule sucks already and i was looking forward to playing unc..if they back out we need to try to work in a virginia tech or someone..i dont wanna pay 50 bucks to see central michigan.

Adiossuck
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Well if UNC wants to change their game from one they have a chance to winning to playing a game they have no shot at winning by all means. But hey this will certainly give us even more bragging rights for the years to come. Beat them in Chapel Hill and can rag on them for backing out of their game in Columbia until that game finally is rescheduled.

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
This seriously just pisses me the f*ck off. Butch Davis is a f*cking weasel. I can't wait to root again that f*cking team every game they play. What a dipshit place to play football. All these recruits signing with UNC are completely gullible idiots. Hopefully our coaches will want to beat UNC on all our recruiting battles even more now than before.
No the University of North Carolina are f*cking weasels.

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't think Butch Davis has anything to do with this..especially since he is trying to make inroads in SC

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I say f*ck UrNCrap, and say the best team from North Carolina play South Caroina, NCSU.

What are some tarbaby fourms i can go to?

scfanz
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Spurrier tried to get a yearly game with UNC at Charlotte. That would be awesome. However, the boys in powder blue would have nothing to do with it. IMO, I don't believe they are afraid of on the field competition, rather they are afraid of the recruitung competition. A yearly game between Carolina and the boys in powder blue would be huge and would be a hotbed for recruiting. The boys in powder blue want us as far away from their home recruiting base as possible.

Spartan
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know what UNC fans think about this decision? Do their fans want to see a UNC-USC game or UNC-LSU? Seems like they'd rather see another battle of the Carolinas than get their asses handed to them by LSU.

I can understand if they don't want to play two SEC teams in a year. As long as we get our turn I can wait.

Acockolypse Now
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I made the trip up there to that cheese-eating, wine-drinking, sweater-over-the-shoulder, Hagar-wearing hell hole and they don't have the common decency to come down to God's country to get their ass whipped.

Hell, we owe them for that crappy second half we had.

Here is my impression of the UNC crowd from that game:

Biff: "I say! What's that racket?!"
Trevor: "Apparently the other team has put the ball in the goal."
Biff: "Oh my!"

sc455
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
some of these callers are funny...people are actually thinking that unc is avoiding us because of a beatdown. i guess they are forgettin that the replacement game is lsu.

if u were unc what would u do? i would take the 2.5 million lsu game, pay off carolina and then schedule a crumpcake..i bet they still make 1.5 million and get exposure.

go_carolina_528
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I always had a feeling they were gonna try to back out. Hopefully we can pick up a game versus another big school

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Tar heel fourms?

mkpkr
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know for sure why everyone is getting this upset about it. It looks to me like they are trying to reschedule the game for one that will give them more national exposure and generate more revenue for the school. they aren't giving up the date to play western carolina or something. Plus the contract that USC signed gave them an option to back out.

i just don't think you should chaulk this one up to UNC is a bunch of scardy cats.

COCKDIESEL
07-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know for sure why everyone is getting this upset about it. It looks to me like they are trying to reschedule the game for one that will give them more national exposure and generate more revenue for the school. they aren't giving up the date to play western carolina or something. Plus the contract that USC signed gave them an option to back out.

i just don't think you should chaulk this one up to UNC is a bunch of scardy cats.
But even with the buyout how much money does USC lose. UNC would be an over capacity sellout. If we replace them with Furman there will be 70000 there max.

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Hyman on the phone now.

GamecockGirl23
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
This is all the more reason to say that we are the real Carolina :thumbsup:

sc455
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
this call with hyman shows how powerful espn really is...espn has enough cash to disrupt teams schedules just a yr out and can arrange open dates for ya.

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I'd be all for playing UNC as the first game of the year in the future.

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Now Hyman the Tarhole alumni is on 107.5 spewing his crap again.

uscGRAD04
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
But even with the buyout how much money does USC lose. UNC would be an over capacity sellout. If we replace them with Furman there will be 70000 there max.

Plus don't smaller schools demand more money to come to WB...especially if it were to be an emergency fill.

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
It would be nice if ESPN/USC could get Florida State, Virginia Tech, etc to play us to open next year.

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
This really is a bunch of bullshit. We should tell ESPN and UNC to STFU and make them play us. I could care less about opening up against some big opponent in WB next year I wan't UNC to honor their contract that they made and play us in WB. If Hyman has any balls at all he will tell them no and make them stick to what was already agreed upon.

Spurticus
07-28-2009, 03:27 PM

The problem is not that they're affraid to play, it's that they just won't
play here in Columbia. They tried to avoid it by getting USC to agree to
two games at Charlotte to start with. Spurrier agreed to that, then
UNC back away from that deal cause they realized that USC would
probably still get about 75% of the stadium full with it's fans, and
would give USC a better shot at exposure in the State of North Carolina
so they grudgingly agreed to a Home and Home but spit three years
apart. .. . . . . . They don't want to make a trip here to Columbia for
the very reason that there are still too many people in charge at NC
and the ACC with their asses on their shoulders about our flipping them
off almost 40 years ago and walking out of the conference. They dispise
this state, and this school. They'd much rather play a game with LSU and
dump us, than to come to Columbia and play a football game against
USC. That simple. This is still subject to rejection by SC, but I doubt
Hyman will hold them to it for this year. . . .we'll agree to reschedule
later, and that later will never come. They will pay out of it.

They got their pay day and an asswhippin, so they'd rather just buy
out of having to play the second one here in Columbia.

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
All I am saying if Hyman the Tarhole agree's to this then we better damn well get the money we would have gotten from playing them and get a big name opponent to play us in Columbia to start the season. On top of that the Tarholes should have to play us TWICE in WB with no return trip. If they wan't to play in Atlanta so damn bad then make it cost them. I am sick and tired of the ACC and UNC in general trying to always dick us over.

USCBASEBALL1
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Heard UNC is trying to get out of playing us in 2010?

Anybody else hear this.

This is true.

Ericvol2096
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Tennessee plays North Carolina in 2011 and 2012 on the road. Also playing NC ST. in the SEC/ACC challenge at the start of the season in the Georgia Dome.

Hopefully we can both continue the SEC's dominance over the ACC!!! Go Vols and SEC!

CoverTwo
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Get us Florida State.

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Tennessee plays North Carolina in 2011 and 2012 on the road. Also playing NC ST. in the SEC/ACC challenge at the start of the season in the Georgia Dome.

Hopefully we can both continue the SEC's dominance over the ACC!!! Go Vols and SEC!

UNC pulling this bullshit is pissing me off enough to where I'll pull for the Vols in that game.

sc455
07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
espn the all powerful will make sure we get a good game next yr to open up and will get us an open date in the middle of the season...i somehow dont think unc will ever play us.

Ericvol2096
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I know you all don't care about TN but we have some intersting OOC match ups in the future, I hope all SEC teams will follow suit!

9-14 @ Oregon
11-9 South Alabama
9-13 @ Oklahoma
9-12 Oklahoma
9-26 @ Connecticut
9-3 Connecticut
9-10 @ Nebraska
9-9 Nebraska
9-1 Ohio State
9-7 @ Ohio State

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Get us Florida State.
If we do get a different game I hope it is not against a ACC school. I would like it to be against a Big 10 or maybe Big 12 team.

CoverTwo
I think you have to schedule a team that is in a recruiting area of ours..but thats my preference..

Luke Skycocker
I would rather not play them and get the money. UNC is getting really good and would be a tough game for us to win.

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I would rather not play them and get the money. UNC is getting really good and would be a tough game for us to win.
What crack are you smoking? The NC State team we beat 34-0 beat the Tarholes 41-10 last year. They also lost to a horrible UVA team and then went on to lose their bowl game against a mediocre WVU team. They are not that good.

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I think you have to schedule a team that is in a recruiting area of ours..but thats my preference..
I would agree, maybe michigan!:woo:

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
GCC has a headline saying that we will insist UNC play in Cola

gamecockphan
07-28-2009, 03:53 PM

What?

Getting better- yes. there's only one place to go from how shitty they were and that is up. Really good- not even close.

Ericvol2096
07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Why wouldn't UNC play in Columbia...South Carolina and North Carolina are very comparable programs and I give the edge to SC for one main reason... SEC>ACC.

brockmartin77
07-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Are you being funny or are you high on those cookies?:lol:

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 04:04 PM
This is a load of horse sh*t and I knew it was going to happen. I told some Hole fans I work with that they'd never make the return trip to Columbia and it looks like that's what's going to happen. I guess if you're going to lose it's better to do it against LSU rather than us. They are going to scoff at that statement, but do you think if they felt great about their chances at beating us that they would trade it for a probably loss? Hell no!!! If playing LSU is such a big deal, then they can wait until they can work it out for themselves to play, it's not up to us to facilitate them getting a high profile game and help their recruiting.
I'm even more pissed after hearing Hyman on the radio. He's not even negotiating with the Holes, he said he's talking with ESPN. I guess we are starting to see the dark side of this ESPN deal. Looks like they have WAAAY too much control in regards to scheduling. What next? Does ESPN get to decide who's in the SEC? Look for more in the next few years where we are screwed by ESPN in favor of the more marquis teams in the league, and I mean stuff more serious than if we play at 12:00p.m. versus a night game. As far as I'm concerned, we should reschedule the Hole game and then back out on them at the last minute and put them in a bind. Of course ESPN probably wouldn't allow us to do that.

happygilmore527
07-28-2009, 04:14 PM
GCC has a headline saying that we will insist UNC play in Cola

basically says Hyman will make sure UNC plays at Williams Brice, but may not be next year if UNC can find a suitable replacement for us. Could play in 2011 but that starts the series with ECU in Charlotte.

USAFGAMECOCK
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I know you all don't care about TN but we have some intersting OOC match ups in the future, I hope all SEC teams will follow suit!

9-14 @ Oregon
11-9 South Alabama
9-13 @ Oklahoma
9-12 Oklahoma
9-26 @ Connecticut
9-3 Connecticut
9-10 @ Nebraska
9-9 Nebraska
9-1 Ohio State
9-7 @ Ohio State

Just think, the UT/OSU teams that will compete in those 2018 and 2019 games are 8 or 9 years old right now....don't see schedules out that far too often.

brat
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
As a fan of USC as far back as the ACC days, I too, knew this would never come about as planned.

Ad nauseum, "never trust an ACC school, never do them any favors, never play them, ANY of them. Let them rot."

conwaycock2
07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ..............

UNC just posted their 1st winning season in 7 years during which they were 31-53. If we can't handle this program we are in trouble.

ecarch08
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Id prefer that we play Virginia Tech personally...I believe we own a commanding record over them and the VaTech campus is only 4 hours away from columbia...it would definitely be a fun match up

MWard
07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I would agree, maybe michigan!:woo:

I think you hit it there. Michigan has an open date next season. They just got to get them down here to play.

Gamecocks4ever
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I hate this because I was really looking foward to this game. I was hoping to shut up them Tar Hole fan's. They'll either pay or play. If we don't play them, I would love to play FSU, VT, Mich, etc.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Pay or play? So what, if what I read on another board is true, their buyout is only $750,000.

ecarch08
07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Pay or play? So what, if what I read on another board is true, their buyout is only $750,000.

I think its waived if UNC promises to play a sooner future date.

MBGCockOld
07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
It cost just that much, maybe more, to get a team like ULL, Wofford and teams of that calibur. UrNCrap will have to find us a hell of a replacement.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
It cost just that much, maybe more, to get a team like ULL, Wofford and teams of that calibur. UrNCrap will have to find us a hell of a replacement.
I was only responding to the other poster who said something about making them pay. Also, the Holes have nothing to do with finding us a replacment, Hyman said ESPN is responsible for this. Basically, we are getting the short end of the stick. ESPN seems to be in control of this whole thing. We are the ones getting jerked around for the benefit of ESPN, LSU, and the Holes.

sc455
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
basically says Hyman will make sure UNC plays at Williams Brice, but may not be next year if UNC can find a suitable replacement for us. Could play in 2011 but that starts the series with ECU in Charlotte.
see that is another sore spot..that ecu game in charlotte sounds great, BUT is it a home game or an away game? If its a home game that sucks, cause with the way the tickets are split because of the neutral site, some gcc members who paid thier annual dues and football tickets wont be able to go. Can u imagine paying your dues and having to sit home to watch a fb game on tv because the university and the networks made a deal?

Luke Skycocker
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ..............

UNC just posted their 1st winning season in 7 years during which they were 31-53. If we can't handle this program we are in trouble.

you must be oblivious to their recruiting classes of the last 2 or 3 years. Butch Davis is also a very good coach. If you think that they are a push over, you are sorely mistaken

smoovecock
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Too me it would seem since we already have the game set up with crapple hill why dont the Chic Filet folks just make our game that is already set up the Chic Filet Game....seems more simple that way to me...:shotgunc:....

sc455
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
because lsu unc will get better ratings than usc unc...ticket sales sure cant be an excuse

Gamecock Rob
07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
We should tell UNC we are gonna play em and then tell em to blow it out their ass and we are never gonna play em again. Put em on the s#!+ list just like the canes. Set up a game against NCST every year and try and get it thursday night whenever possible, and when UrNotCarolina is competing for a spot on regional ESPN 2 coverage, we can laugh all the way to the bank.

smoovecock
07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
because lsu unc will get better ratings than usc unc...ticket sales sure cant be an excuse..Maybe...maybe not....Both Carolina and Nawth Carolina should be coming off good years and both should be rank in the top 20 at least...

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
you must be oblivious to their recruiting classes of the last 2 or 3 years. Butch Davis is also a very good coach. If you think that they are a push over, you are sorely mistaken
A few years ago people said the exact same thing about us. Face it they are not a good team and we should not be afraid of them. They got their asses beat by NC STATE for Christ sakes.

gotrice?
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
This is great news to me! We can get a huge payday and avoid what should be a scary UNC team next year. We are going to be in the best shape to win alot of games that we've been in possibly this decade and the same can be said about UNC. Lets take a team thats easier to beat and get another locked in win for that year so we get a legit shot at 10+ wins.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Too me it would seem since we already have the game set up with crapple hill why dont the Chic Filet folks just make our game that is already set up the Chic Filet Game....seems more simple that way to me...:shotgunc:....
We already played them at home. We're not going to give up our home game to go play them there. They should just have to wait to play in Atlanta when their schedule allows instead of us taking the hit.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
This is great news to me! We can get a huge payday and avoid what should be a scary UNC team next year. We are going to be in the best shape to win alot of games that we've been in possibly this decade and the same can be said about UNC. Lets take a team thats easier to beat and get another locked in win for that year so we get a legit shot at 10+ wins.
Hell, let's just join the Sunbelt conference.

gotrice?
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Hell, let's just join the Sunbelt conference.

We play in the SEC we don't need another top 15 team to face, and mark it down thats what UNC will be in the 2010-2011 season.

FlorenceCock
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
We play in the SEC we don't need another top 15 team to face, and mark it down thats what UNC will be in the 2010-2011 season.
There is no way in hell they will be a top 15 team. Have you not watched them the past few years while Butch has been there? So they have recruited well that doesnt mean squat. People said the exact same thing about us in year two under Spurrier but look at us now. I can't believe people are thinking that the tarholes are some top team now just because they got a good recruiting class.

gotrice?
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
There is no way in hell they will be a top 15 team. Have you not watched them the past few years while Butch has been there? So they have recruited well that doesnt mean squat. People said the exact same thing about us in year two under Spurrier but look at us now. I can't believe people are thinking that the tarholes are some top team now just because they got a good recruiting class.

Have you seen the improvement since Butch got there? They are a far better team than they were before him. They went from 4-8 to 8-5 in his first two years. I expect to see them win at least 9 regular season games this year and possibly win the ACC. If they are coming off of a 9-3 or 10-2 record, and possibly ACC Title, they will definitely be in the top 15 and thats what I see them doing this year.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
You need to do some research on what 'top 15' really means. It means if you take a 'top 15' team from the ACC and put them in the SEC, they might not be ranked at all. I'm not using the our conference to try and say we are better than the Holes, but if you took their exact team right now and put them in our schedule, NO ONE would vote them in the the preseason top 25. If you don't believe me, read the remarks a pollster has with a team explaining their ranking. Almost every ACC team will have the 'ACC schedule' disclaimer in there. It's not particular to them, Ole Miss is benefitting from the same kind of hype so it's not a biased. These people make do their polls trying to guess where a team will end up, not based on who they think the best team is.

gotrice?
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
http://www.accblitz.com/blog/teamnews/coastaldivision/northcarolina/2009-north-carolina-football-depth-chart

They lose 4 or 5 players from this year in terms of starters and like I said 9 or 10 regular season wins for them is what I expect. That is top 15 caliber if they do what I think they do.

WeHailThee
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm really curious to see who they get as a replacement. It could be a good chance to play someone we never get to, like a Big 10 or Big 12 team.

CockySpaniel
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Lemme get this straight, they need to ADD another game to get to 12, but they want to DROP our game next year?
12 - 1 don't = 12

sc455
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091305aae.html watch out ut..u might get screwed yourselves

sc455
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Lemme get this straight, they need to ADD another game to get to 12, but they want to DROP our game next year?
12 - 1 don't = 12
as far as i know they have a 12 game schedule already..espn has come and offered them the lsu game..unc has to drop a game to stay at 12 so usc was the choice.

GTjacket
07-28-2009, 06:25 PM
GT may step up IF we can get a spot open.

chaostheorysc
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Get over it people. Just as they've been saying on 107.5 for the past hour, we're in somewhat of a position of power in these negotiations. Just moving our bye week to the middle of the season would make it an even deal for me. If we can still play UNC in 2011/12, and also get yet another nationally televised Home opener on ESPN next year, it's a solid win for us. Of course I guess some people will just bitch about anything.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Get over it people. Just as they've been saying on 107.5 for the past hour, we're in somewhat of a position of power in these negotiations. Just moving our bye week to the middle of the season would make it an even deal for me. If we can still play UNC in 2011/12, and also get yet another nationally televised Home opener on ESPN next year, it's a solid win for us. Of course I guess some people will just bitch about anything.
We haven't needed anyone's help getting nationally televised home opener's before now, don't see why that's some kind consolation prize. A bye week's location doesn't mean much at all to me. Who can predict if it's a benefit or not when you don't even know what your schedule is going to be.

chaostheorysc
07-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Every time we have a bye week, we come out flat. I damn sure don't want that week preceding Clemson. The one year we beat them under Spurrier we played MTSU the week before. You can believe in coincidence all you want, but i don't.

As for home openers, they've all been on ESPN, so I guess we need their help. Besides, unless you honestly think they're going to have usc vs. troy as the season opener on ESPN next year, I guess we do need a little leverage. Plus, in that scenario we'd still play UNC, just not next year. If you can't see the positive in that, then so be it.

FanofCarolina1
07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I say that UNC will get their butts kicked in that game, except it will be nationally televised.

So who do we put in the schedule in their place??

GTjacket
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Do you guys have a opening in 11?

go_carolina_528
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
How about we play Oregon State instead of UNC?
:rotfl::rotfl:

I have been waiting for that match-up to happen.

CockRoche
07-28-2009, 08:10 PM
How about we play Oregon State instead of UNC?
:rotfl::rotfl:

I have been waiting for that match-up to happen.
I guess Beavers is a lot cleaner name for the same thing the Tarholes are.

Luke Skycocker
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
A few years ago people said the exact same thing about us. Face it they are not a good team and we should not be afraid of them. They got their asses beat by NC STATE for Christ sakes.

NC State was playing some good football at the end of last year.

chaostheorysc
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
OH YEAH!

COCKS POUND BEAVERS!!!!!

.....and now we return to our normally scheduled family values programming.

sosfan812
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
unc feels that their program has more tradition then ours and since the acc days have looked down at USC so coming here and losing to us would be worse in their eyes then losing to lsu. But it's obvious that davis see's a way to be on national tv, which would help recruiting and unc gets paid, as the best way to avoid coming for their beatdown.

Go Carolina
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM

That is true he has been getting heated about this very thing for years. Long before I even thought about the return game, he was saying these things on the air.

brat
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Anyone that knows our history of treatment by UNC and Duke and company in the ACC could see this a mile off.

Damned if I know why the hell we play any of them. They still treat us like dirt almost 40 years after leaving. Past time we do the same to that conference and refuse to play them, any sport, any team, including Clempson.

tgobbel
07-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I think we will be able to schedule a team that will bring some great attention to the match up since we seem to always find our way on to ESPN. I think a North East School would be cool to play...we don't need any cup cakes, I want us to play a team that will give us a great match up, just as UNC would.

FlorenceCock
07-29-2009, 01:06 AM
UNC delays USC series

Tar Heels opt to face LSU in Atlanta in 2010 but will face Gamecocks soon

The next battle for football supremacy in the Carolinas looks like it will be put on hold for a couple of years.
South Carolina athletics director Eric Hyman will allow North Carolina out of its 2010 game in Columbia, but only if the Tar Heels agree to make up the game in the “very near future” and a suitable replacement is found for next year’s schedule.
ESPN officials contacted Hyman several months ago to see if he would be amenable to letting North Carolina out of the second game of its home-and-home deal with USC so the Tar Heels and LSU could meet in the Georgia Dome the opening weekend of the 2010 season.

http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/881066.html

What a joke. I hope Hyman loses his job over this.

09Gamecock
07-29-2009, 02:15 AM
BTW, how come the UNC-Rutgers game isn't the one getting dropped? Why doesn't ESPN tell them to move that one to a different year? This just seems like a lot of bullshit and excuse making. I'd love to know what's really going on. What kind of guarantee would we have that they'd stick with a commitment to play in Columbia on a rescheduled date?

Adiossuck
07-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Well look at the bright side guys, the Carolina Supremacy will be ours to brag about for even longer and it'll be intriguing to figure out who on God's Earth we're going to play in 2010 as ESPN said they would try and help make it an 'attractive matchup'

FoghornLeghornCock
07-29-2009, 05:33 AM
UNC delays USC series

Tar Heels opt to face LSU in Atlanta in 2010 but will face Gamecocks soon

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2009/01/01/21/660-outronlede.lead_art_horizontal.prod_affiliate.74.j pg Steve Spurrier hangs his head as his offense stalls against Iowa in the Outback Bowl.
Erik Campos/ecampos@thestate.com /Erk Campos

Written by JOSEPH PERSON

jperson @thestate.com http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/881066.html

Posted on 07.29.09

email (http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/v-emailform/story/881066.html) print (http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/v-print/story/881066.html) reprint or license (http://www.reprintbuyer.com/mags/knightridder/reprints.html) http://media.thestate.com/static/images/mi/pluck/comment.gifComments (http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/881066.html#Comments_Container) (0)

The next battle for football supremacy in the Carolinas looks like it will be put on hold for a couple of years.

South Carolina athletics director Eric Hyman will allow North Carolina out of its 2010 game in Columbia, but only if the Tar Heels agree to make up the game in the “very near future” and a suitable replacement is found for next year’s schedule.
ESPN officials contacted Hyman several months ago to see if he would be amenable to letting North Carolina out of the second game of its home-and-home deal with USC so the Tar Heels and LSU could meet in the Georgia Dome the opening weekend of the 2010 season.
In exchange, ESPN told Hyman it would televise the Gamecocks’ 2010 opener on Thursday night as the first game of the season against a team the network would line up. Hyman would not identify possible opponents, but said ESPN has a stake in making it an attractive TV matchup.
Hyman said he was willing to work with ESPN, which is beginning the first year of its unprecedented, 15-year deal with SEC worth $2.25 billion.
“We’ve got to do things to help ESPN be successful, and sometimes there are minimal sacrifices,” Hyman said Tuesday. “But I would not reschedule the (North Carolina) game in 2030.”
Hyman, who played football at North Carolina, was presented the game ball by Steve Spurrier after the Gamecocks’ 21-15 win at Chapel Hill in 2007. He made it clear that he wants to be at Williams-Brice Stadium when the Tar Heels return the game.
“The North Carolina game, it was special to me,” Hyman said. “I wouldn’t do this unless North Carolina was going to come back again.”
Under the terms of the contract, North Carolina would owe USC a $750,000 buyout if it does not schedule a makeup game. The Tar Heels lead the all-time series 34-17-4.

Under Spurrier we have built a valuable relationship with ESPN for these opening night series Thursday games which do not hurt us at all on the schedule because it is the first game we just start earlier in the season and get a 10 day layoff to the next game to correct mistakes. This exposure on national TV is extremely important to us in regards to recruiting. If I was Hyman I would have extracted a mens basketball game out of NC as compensation where they would have to play in our arena next year and maybe more. This would be a guaranteed sellout of our 18,000 seat stadium and a big TV ratings winner. I know NC lost a lot of talent if we beat them which we should be pretty good next year this would be a huge win in regards to men's basketball recruiting.

Order 66
07-29-2009, 05:52 AM
We should have not allowed them to reschedule, and make them pay the buyout. We could use the money in various ways. Hyman is a UNC man above all else. This proves it.

yazoo
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Plus the contract that USC signed gave them an option to back out.

If that is true, it is an example of a totally ineffectual AD. Was Hyman the AD who negotiated the UNC contract? Isn't he a UNC alum who has installed UNC alum all through our Athletic Department? We need a new AD if that is what happened. Either that, or he should take a huge pay cut because he is not acting like a Carolina advocate with this UNC deal.

Acockolypse Now
07-29-2009, 08:44 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/softballhottie4rlc/chill_pill.jpg?t=1248871562

Everyone chill out. $750,000 plus the revenue we'd get from another scheduled home game doesn't sound so bad to me.

So what if the goats don't want any more of us? Who cares?

chatam
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I just can't see what the problem is between the two games. They would not be on the same date; so I think it comes down to the fact that the north carolina blue they wear matches the blue on their diaper bag (I heard the joke about the blue on the radio the other day and thought it was cool).

MBGCockOld
07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
If that is true, it is an example of a totally ineffectual AD. Was Hyman the AD who negotiated the UNC contract? Isn't he a UNC alum who has installed UNC alum all through our Athletic Department? We need a new AD if that is what happened. Either that, or he should take a huge pay cut because he is not acting like a Carolina advocate with this UNC deal.
Definetly should not get rid of Hyman, if we did that we would have to start over again, you dont want that do you? He might be an alum of UNC but we cant hold that against him, he said we will play them again, and no one wants to play UrNCrap more that i do. Maybe take $10,000 out of his pay check to tell him dont do anything like this again, but definetly do not get rid of hyman.

Everyone chill out. $750,000 plus the revenue we'd get from another scheduled home game doesn't sound so bad to me.

So what if the goats don't want any more of us? Who cares?

I want to play the goats and destroy them to the point there whole school collapses from the inside. **** north carolina and the goat they ****ed.

Anyone know any Tar heel fourms i can go to?

Spurticus
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
We should have not allowed them to reschedule, and make them pay the buyout. We could use the money in various ways. Hyman is a UNC man above all else. This proves it.

???????

Take the buyout ?. . . . This is what they wanted us to agree to, so
they wouldn't have to come play us here in Columbia !! They got their
little payday off of us up in Chapel Hill two years ago, and now they
want to drop our BIG payday, and not have to come to Columbia and
hold up their end of the bargin.
750,000 K is NOTHING (to us or them). We'll get somewhere around
10 million as our share off of the ESPN TV deal with the SEC, and UNC
is backed by a lot of damn FILTHY RICH people . . . main one being
Michael Jordan and his NIKE and GATORADE money. So they'd be very
happy to screw us by pulling 750K out of their change purse and throw
it at us.

NO. . . .Hyman did the right thing by not taking the money and holding
them to their end of the deal, and TELLING them the game would be
played soon. . . not 10 or 20 years from now, but within the next 2-4
years. This isn't about the money, this is about not allowing UNC to
brush off this game. . . .They have no issue with us as far as competition.
They scheduled LSU for god sakes. They have no issue with financial
burden in getting out of the game. This is what they'd rather do.
MAKE THEIR ASS COME TO COLUMBIA LIKE THEY AGREED TO DO AND
PLAY US ON OUR TURFF !!!! Hyman is doing just that, and I admire the
hell out of him for doing it

Roosterdog
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Why not just take the buyout and be done with it? We just make ourselves look pathetic by begging UNC to come to Columbia and play us. Screw them!!!!

Luke Skycocker
07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
who are the possible 2010 openers that ESPN was talking about getting us?

MBGCockOld
07-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Why not just take the buyout and be done with it? We just make ourselves look pathetic by begging UNC to come to Columbia and play us. Screw them!!!!
We are not begging we are going to forcing them to come play us. Do you not see what kind of rivalry this would be if we could play UNC at the beginning of every year. that would be awesome in it's self. Giving UNC the chance to back out like the pussies they are is not what we want to do, read spurt's post, 750K is nothing to these preppy kids.

Spurticus
07-29-2009, 09:10 AM

See Post Above.

No one is begging them to do anything. . . .they are begging to get out
of coming to Columbia. They have no issue playing us. They just don't
want to come here. They think the game would get televised (which it
surely would), and they want no part of them giving us ANY exposure
at their behalf, and they definitely do not want ESPN or CBS broadcasting
a national game, with them taking an asswhipping in Columbia at their
expense. This is all about holding their feet to the fire.

WolfTattoo
07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
It shouldn't surprise you. It's UNC, afterall.

Roosterdog
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Like I said, we just make ourselves look pathetic by not moving on from this. If UNC does not want to come to COLA than to hell with them, I don't want them here. We are all too close to our program to see this for what it is-begging. There are plenty of high profile schools that would be more than willing to come to Billy Brice, USC needs to take the buyout from the TarHoles, move on and quit humiliating ourselves.

Roosterdog
07-29-2009, 10:12 AM
See Post Above.

No one is begging them to do anything. . . .they are begging to get out
of coming to Columbia. They have no issue playing us. They just don't
want to come here. They think the game would get televised (which it
surely would), and they want no part of them giving us ANY exposure
at their behalf, and they definitely do not want ESPN or CBS broadcasting
a national game, with them taking an asswhipping in Columbia at their
expense. This is all about holding their feet to the fire.

Odds are pretty good that it could easily be the Heels that do the ass whipping.

CoverTwo
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Like I said, we just make ourselves look pathetic by not moving on from this. If UNC does not want to come to COLA than to hell with them, I don't want them here. We are all too close to our program to see this for what it is-begging. There are plenty of high profile schools that would be more than willing to come to Billy Brice, USC needs to take the buyout from the TarHoles, move on and quit humiliating ourselves.

High profile? Only if the money is right and we agree to a home & home..and USC isn't going to schedule someone unless its a regional rival or a school in a area we recruit from.

We need to play UNC...there are going to be a lot of disgruntled fans if they start dipping into SC and getting a stud prospects that USC covets.

spurmanski
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Ambivalent about that.......they may be more of a test than we want next year
BUT as a GCmember and ST holder for over 20 years we pay a buttload for home games and they owe us that one. We already are losing our Fall saturdays due to playing on neutral fields and these bush league MAC-type, Thursday night games. Yes that is selfish but dollars talk both ways. Just another reason for dollar supporters to grouse and leave.

So there's my bitch and now it's time to move on and discuss who you want ESPN to replace them with (THEY DO NOW CONTROL THE SEC YOU KNOW)....:>)

Depends on who we could create an availability with I guess.
ECU, WVU, Pitt, Tulane, .....maybe an ACC team like MD or VA...heck VT

brat
07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
With the SEC deal, plus CBS, the gap will continue to grow between the SEC and the ACC. Recruits will see this, know where the most media attention is found, etc, the best recruits go, the best games, the most excitement, best stadiums, most rabid fans, more than ever. Each year it will be easier to recruit from the ACC areas, because the ACC already has multiple episodes of lack of national media respect, right down to fairly little national TV exposure. Who will likely benefit the most? UT and USC due to the best proximity, at least in NC, unless some want to go to Kentucky or Vandy,for whatever reason. For most of the old ACC territory, we will be one of the closets schools for them to consider.

Heck, I think we are already seeing the effects of the ESPN deal due to our recent recruiting and that of Clempson, per se. It will only get better, so leave the ACC alone and do not throw them any sort of lifeline.

Kick the ACC while they are down and for payback for their constant treatment of us. Never do anything, however small, to benefit them or help them or to be good neighbors. They have always been our enemies and always will be. Never play them, never trust them. Let them become the Eastern version of the WAC.

spurmanski
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Man...you sure have a way with words and graphics:lol:

huh?
07-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Florida State

doccock
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
. Hyman shouldn't have let them out of this. I knew we should have made them come to columbia first.

There's nothing we can do about it. The most we can do is make them pay the $750,000 to get out of the game. Other than that we can't make them do anything.

I do agree that any series with them in the future needs to start in Columbia.
doc

WeAreSCAR
07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
It justs bothers me because they think they are too good to honor a home and home with us.

I will take joy in watching LSU blast them like they did VT a few years ago.

IHateOrange
07-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Hyman is going to let them off easy because he is a UNC alumni. That is why they are pulling this on us because they know he will let it slide.

crowcutta
07-29-2009, 11:18 AM
so basically were talking 2013 at the earliest, which is ridiculous to have to wait 6 years for the back to back of a home and home. they have tennessee on their schedule in 2011 and 2012 according to nationalchamps.net so i dont think they would play us either of those years. this is bs

smoovecock
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
We are gonna get pressure from the SEC to do this...and as mentioned above..Hyman is a crapple hill alumni......We are gonna take this one up the you know what....

2000grad
07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
UNC made a smart move by deciding to get thumped by LSU in the Ga Dome. Lot more money and exposure for their program. LSU is gonna be all over them like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat.

spurmanski
07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure that the EXPN contact may have more to do with that than the meanie-butts at CHill...just a thought but big money buys a lot of power

MDCox
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM

In exchange, ESPN told Hyman it would televise the Gamecocks’ 2010 opener on Thursday night as the first game of the season against a team the network would line up. Hyman would not identify possible opponents, but said ESPN has a stake in making it an attractive TV matchup.

Sounds like neither USC or NC had much of a say. Unfortunately, ESPN tells teams what to do not the other way around. It's about money and frankly ESPN made nice with both teams it looks like.

Spur's Addiction
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
so what happened?

BABonzo
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I wish we could play Penn St. since they are all up in our recruiting grill now.

carolinacoast
"It would be over my dead body that North Carolina wouldn't return the game," said Hyman, himself a UNC grad.

ESPN has assured South Carolina that it would have the season-opening game in 2010 against a to-be- determined opponent. And USC would also get the season-opening game against North Carolina, in whatever year that it's rescheduled.

Hyman reminded fans, again and again, that until further notice, it still says North Carolina on the 2010 schedule.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jul/29/change_plans90708/

Gamecock Rob
^We got hosed. I vote we put the Tar Holes on the never again list like Thug U.

Gmore2Giles
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Georgia Tech should replace them

GarnetInChicago
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Either firm up a long-term deal with NC, force them to play at Carolina first, or don't schedule them again. I hate to say this because I really want a good border battle with them.

Oh, and as for the losing money for playing Thursday night games? IMO, that's done wonders for our program. There's no alternative for fans to watch those nights and we get tons of attention and typically play well in those games. It's great for recruiting, and we get a nationally televised game (which = $) that may not have been so on a Saturday afternoon.

WolfTattoo
07-29-2009, 12:14 PM
With the SEC deal, plus CBS, the gap will continue to grow between the SEC and the ACC. Recruits will see this, know where the most media attention is found, etc, the best recruits go, the best games, the most excitement, best stadiums, most rabid fans, more than ever. Each year it will be easier to recruit from the ACC areas, because the ACC already has multiple episodes of lack of national media respect, right down to fairly little national TV exposure. Who will likely benefit the most? UT and USC due to the best proximity, at least in NC, unless some want to go to Kentucky or Vandy,for whatever reason. For most of the old ACC territory, we will be one of the closets schools for them to consider.

Heck, I think we are already seeing the effects of the ESPN deal due to our recent recruiting and that of Clempson, per se. It will only get better, so leave the ACC alone and do not throw them any sort of lifeline.

Kick the ACC while they are down and for payback for their constant treatment of us. Never do anything, however small, to benefit them or help them or to be good neighbors. They have always been our enemies and always will be. Never play them, never trust them. Let them become the Eastern version of the WAC.

LOL, we love you too, sweetie.

MBGCockOld
07-29-2009, 12:17 PM

:clap:

But i dont agree with what you said about not playing them we should play ACC schools.

Cocklover
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
here's a great article from Gamecockcentral...it makes a lot of sense....

Make no mistake, the stakes are high for South Carolina athletic director Eric Hyman in this 2010 scheduling snafu with North Carolina that broke out in earnest on Tuesday.

It began with one sentence in a story on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's web site about UNC and LSU inching closer to finalizing a deal to play in the 2010 Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Classic at the Georgia Dome.

http://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=969631

Adiossuck
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
who are the possible 2010 openers that ESPN was talking about getting us?

Hyman said he would not 'reveal' any potential opponents but ESPN said they would help choose an opponent would be an attractive match-up since it'll be on Thursday night primetime on ESPN. I imagine it'll be someone out of the ACC or Big East, it'll be difficult to get someone any further away to agree for one away game so far away and us not having to go to their place.
I wouldnt be surprised if it was a team like FSU so ESPN could have their fun with Bowden vs Spurrier or something.

Adiossuck
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
so basically were talking 2013 at the earliest, which is ridiculous to have to wait 6 years for the back to back of a home and home. they have tennessee on their schedule in 2011 and 2012 according to nationalchamps.net so i dont think they would play us either of those years. this is bs

Lets not forget UNC may have backed out of our Sept. 18th game for the 2010 season, but UNC did decide to keep their all important Sept. 25th game with Rutgers for the 2010 season.
:-x

ShutTheSuccop
07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
well we beat them in Chapel Hole and now they don't want to play us? The logic that they need better competition is laughable at this point, especially with the way that we played LSU last season. IMO, this is as much about recruiting as it is about playing LSU. I don't get how when one enters a contract that they can get out of it so easily...I would ask for the payout and tell them to go F themselves

GarnetInChicago
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Interesting point from that article Cocklover posted, South Carolina would be looking at being the national kickoff for CFB for 2008-2011. How great a tradition could that become for Carolina if they tried to extend it further? Just think about it. National media attention annually, fans starved for football all watching games at Williams-Brice every year, recruits knowing all about us from the beginning of the season, etc. We could even have slogans like, "College football starts with/in South Carolina"

Cocklover
07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Interesting point from that article Cocklover posted, South Carolina would be looking at being the national kickoff for CFB for 2008-2011. How great a tradition could that become for Carolina if they tried to extend it further? Just think about it. National media attention annually, fans starved for football all watching games at Williams-Brice every year, recruits knowing all about us from the beginning of the season, etc. We could even have slogans like, "College football starts with/in South Carolina"
EXACTLY...this is what i've beeen saying to people all along...we are the kickoff to College Football every year...i think it's a great thing

Go Cocks 29
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
make no mistake about the importance of the first game of everyone's tv season. about 98% of all highly touted recruits are probably watching at least part of that game each year. i dont think we can overestimate the role this game alone has played in our national exposure as well as these great recruiting classes.

we are getting the big in state recruits now and whipping tiger tail because they dont have to go out of state for the media attention. this is a recent phenomenon for us and we have to give Holtz and Spurrier both credit for this national attention.

Carolina Pride
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
hey guys I'm a big Gamecock and being from NC with a lot of family form there I'm a big Tarheel fan as well....even being so i was still really looking forward to this game. I'm not happy that it is getting rescheduled however I'm not sure its really UNC just trying to get out of playing us. Just like the article posted by Cocklover said it was more ESPN forcing the issue of them playing LSU then it was UNC. That being said it would not be very smart on their part to play what should be 2 very strong out of conference opponents right at the beginning of their season, that is just not a good start to the year especially considering there is a good chance both games could be a loss. I am excited that ESPN is talking to both programs about a possible Thursday night game to open the season however. I think this is more intriguing and more exciting then just another Saturday afternoon game and i think it would be worth waiting for.

Roosterdog
07-29-2009, 02:37 PM

It's a great idea as long as you play well and win, but with our history of lousy performances in games that matter, the potential for disaster is something that can't be ignored.

Order 66
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
UNC is going to drag this game out untill the time is right. Why not just get the buyout and move on. If we are rescheduling 4 years from now for recruiting...that's a little far out. We beat them, and they didn't back up their end of the deal to come here. If a recruit is choosing between USC and UNC, I would trump UNC with the fact that they "pussied" out on their end after we handed them a loss last year. There will never be a border battle...I'm sorry. UNC doesn't want that. They know that after a couple of decades, we would even up the all time lead.

This game will not happen any time soon. I say we start a border battle with NC State, and be done with it. Why not play the best team in North Carolina anyways, right?

Shit, I'll take a Wake or an ECU border rivalry over those powder blue choir boys up north.

huh?
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
EXACTLY...this is what i've beeen saying to people all along...we are the kickoff to College Football every year...i think it's a great thing

I love it too. Hopefully we can find a way to be the last game played, as well:wink:

clemsuxfat1
07-29-2009, 05:00 PM
according to gogamecocks.com we will start off 2010 on espn again with another school not named yet. im hoping we get to play miami or usf or somebody like that.

wincocks84
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I could see us playing a Big East school. Maybe Syracuse, West Virginia..I would much rather play a Big 10 or 12 school. Only a couple schools from the ACC would be cool..VT, Maryland, FSU..I dont want any of GT.

yazoo
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe we should ask UNC to send us the $750,000 the owe us for backing out of the game. Hyman can assure them that we will keep the 3/4 Million Dollars in a USC AD account (earning interest for us) until they can get a good date to play us. Once they come down and play at WB, we will give them their $750k back. That ought to give them some incentive to schedule the in the near future.

M.C.
07-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Oregon State and Pittsburgh as possible matchups in the 2010 season opener for the Gamecocks on ESPN.

FlorenceCock
07-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Oregon State and Pittsburgh as possible matchups in the 2010 season opener for the Gamecocks on ESPN.
On 107.5 today they have been saying the only possible matchups per ESPN were Duke, Virginia, Oregon State and Pittsburgh. Heath Cline said he talked with one of his friends that works in the Atlanta office and he said that everyone is saying it will be Virginia that we play.

wilsonhallbarons
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
On 107.5 today they have been saying the only possible matchups per ESPN were Duke, Virginia, Oregon State and Pittsburgh. Heath Cline said he talked with one of his friends that works in the Atlanta office and he said that everyone is saying it will be Virginia that we play.
i would be fine with any of those except Duke...i mean playing them would not be too much different from playing someone like Wofford or the Citadel

M.C.
07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
i would be fine with any of those except Duke...i mean playing them would not be too much different from playing someone like Wofford or the Citadeluva and duke are on the same level now

GTjacket
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I would love for us to play you guys. But I doubt it would happen. GT has a really hard time getting anybody to play us. Which I understand.

Order 66
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I want Oregon State, even if we have to travel there. We need to beat a Pac 10 team.

Go Cocks 29
07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
i like the bowden vs spurrier idea
i would love to get a USC vs USC rematch from the 80's and whip their tails on national tv but that would be too highly ranked an opponent for those west coast crybabies

FlorenceCock
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
i like the bowden vs spurrier idea
i would love to get a USC vs USC rematch from the 80's and whip their tails on national tv but that would be too highly ranked an opponent for those west coast crybabies
They have already said flat out that FSU would be impossible because of scheduling.

GarnetInChicago
07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Regardless of who we play, I would absolutely love it if we could find a way to make us the opener on Thursday night annually. "College football starts in South Carolina." I just love the sound of it.

Also, I don't know enough about the history or negotiating, but if what Spurticus and a few others on here have said about UNC never intending to play the game in Columbia, that is subject to a very serious lawsuit. That would be a material part of the contract that was negotiated in bad faith. I say that if Hyman wants to not piss off every single Gamecock fan for this botch-up, he pursue that lawsuit. Aside from the financial benefit, it's GREAT publicity. Suddenly, it becomes a national headline that South Carolina has to sue North Carolina for getting a home game but refusing to play the Gamecocks on either South Carolina or neutral ground for FEAR of giving the Gamecocks more exposure at the expense of NC. That would be fantastic for our recruiting efforts against UNC. Worst case scenario, we make it publicly known that we're filing suit, UNC quickly agrees to the game to avoid the bad press, we get the game in Columbia, and ESPN is all over it because of the storyline.

Adiossuck
07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
They have already said flat out that FSU would be impossible because of scheduling.

Yeah I looked it up and they are scheduled to play at Oklahoma, and BYU / UF at home for their 2010 OOC schedule. Id doubt theyd be willing to come to Columbia just for 1 game that season without even having us come down there.

CockRoche
07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I would love for us to play you guys. But I doubt it would happen. GT has a really hard time getting anybody to play us. Which I understand.
I'd be more scared to play y'all than anyone else in the ACC, and other conferences too for that matter. I guess that would be about the best time to play you though, when we'd have awhile to prepare for offense.

09Gamecock
07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, a UVA game would be awesome. That would be a bit of a silver lining to this situation with UNC. Would we come up to Charlottesville to return the game in 2011?

The only questionable aspect is the fact that UVA has to go to Southern Cal the second week of next season. Would they want to travel to Columbia and play the real USC the week before they have to go play that other USC all the way on the west coast?

JaxcockFL
07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Memo to those in charge....

Never let an ACC school have the first home game of a home and home series.

It's like we've never been screwed or something

GTjacket
07-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah you have the summer to prep for it. So maybe USC and GT will play! Wooo!

brat
07-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh, UNC not wanting to play us is something you'd never prove in a court of law, as in evidence, per se.It is how they have always viewed us and acted toward us and have contempt for us. They got what they wanted out of us, (a Home game) and I would bet they would have preferred their LSU game would take us away and we'd be nice old SC and take a paycheck, which is what we should do and never play them again. Oh, and Virginia as a replacement? Big whoop, another ACC team. Yawn.

When the idea of a series first came up, UNC said, if I remember correctly, sure, two games in Chapel Hill, nothing about returning the trip here.

When we use to play the basketball series in Charlotte, although it was suppose to be a neutral site (the thought of that is laughable, as Charlotte is a big UNC city) every year they were the Home team and had the best facilities, dressing rooms, etc. That is why Fogler opted to stop playing them, not because of the alumni thing,and he admitted such to the paper at the time. He knew how UNC operated, so did Frank McGuire, one of the reasons UNC hated him so much.

Gullible USC, believed UNC could be trusted. I can understand Hyman having blinders on. Anytime you deal with them expect the worst and as uneven a playing field as they can make it.

For us to continue acting this way to the ACC is like wanting to hit your thumb with a hammer to see if it would still hurt. Stupidity beyond belief.

wincocks84
07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Dont really want to play UVA..been there done that. If we cant have FSU then I want Miami, Maryland, or VT. Why cant we just drop UNC and have a home and home with one of them. Pittsburg would be pretty cool. A home and home with VT would be awesome. Also, why cant we just continue the NC St rivalry..screw UNC..we'll play NC St.

justalilcocky
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
if we end up playing UVA for the opener in 2010...UNC wins, plain and simple. I honestly wish that WE would get into the sweepstakes to play in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic. We are going to end up getting screwed in this situation and IMO its Eric Hyman's fault. Why in the world would you ever agree to a buyout of $750,000 from University of North Carolina of all schools????? Aren't we paying Florida Atlantic more than that to come play in Columbia this year??? Hyman gave them all the leverage. He agreed to a home game at their stadium first...a chump change buyout and a series 3 years apart.

Yes, I know ESPN had plenty to do with this, but if they REALLY weren't trying to get out of their game with us, why couldn't they have negotiated the Chick-fil-A game for 2011???? That date is still open as well. I think what has happened here is UNC was approached by ESPN, they saw an opportunity to job us, and they are taking advantage of it.

GarnetInChicago
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh, UNC not wanting to play us is something you'd never prove in a court of law, as in evidence, per se.

It's not as impossible as you make it sound. People do win on bad faith claims in contracts cases. The "evidence" is not the sort of hard and fast thing you'd get in a criminal case. Trust me on this, if the way this worked out is how some people have described it, USC would have a decent case. And even if the case is not a winner, there is no way it would ever go to trial. UNC would absolutely settle out of court to avoid the bad publicity, and chances are that settlement would be agreeing to play the game in Columbia as agreed. And if they then tried to get out of a settlement agreement.....well, that's just taking it to a whole new level.

Regalcock
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Hyman appears to be trying get us something from ESPN out of the deal. It looks like another opening Thursday night game and still keeping UNC coming to Cola w/in 2 years from now.

The Dude
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Hyman appears to be trying get us something from ESPN out of the deal. It looks like another opening Thursday night game and still keeping UNC coming to Cola w/in 2 years from now.

As long as he can hold UNC to coming to town within a couple of years, this would be a win-win...opening on thurs night ESPN game against a BCS opponent is ideal- giving us a longer week to prepare for week 2

Regalcock
07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
As long as he can hold UNC to coming to town within a couple of years, this would be a win-win...opening on thurs night ESPN game against a BCS opponent is ideal- giving us a longer week to prepare for week 2

I agree. It beats just having an opening against Troy.

I would rather play someone other than UVA. Just like State we don't have much to gain. If that's the case I would rather play a big name team like Miami, Notre Dame, or Nebraska

CockySkip2-2
07-29-2009, 11:29 PM
In my opinion UNC owes us a home game after playing in that small stadium. The real reason that they are backing out on us is that they don't want 2 losses to a much better conference in the same season.:football:

Superadiabatic
07-29-2009, 11:50 PM
UNC pulling this bullshit is pissing me off enough to where I'll pull for the Vols in that game.

Oh this is an easy one, Vols all the way in that matchup.

And the larger the margin of victory, the better.

statefan
07-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Dont really want to play UVA..been there done that. If we cant have FSU then I want Miami, Maryland, or VT. Why cant we just drop UNC and have a home and home with one of them. Pittsburg would be pretty cool. A home and home with VT would be awesome. Also, why cant we just continue the NC St rivalry..screw UNC..we'll play NC St.

Would have been a possibilty if ECU wouldnt have pushed back our game in Greenville from 2009 to 2010. This means next year we have away games at ECU and UCF and a home game against Cincy. No way the final OOC is away, since that would leave us with 5 home games. Good luck finding an opponent.

yazoo
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Wow, a UVA game would be awesome. That would be a bit of a silver lining to this situation with UNC. Would we come up to Charlottesville to return the game in 2011?

No. We already did the return game when we went to UNC two years ago and thumped the tar holes.

GarnetInChicago
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
No. We already did the return game when we went to UNC two years ago and thumped the tar holes.
That only matters if we're playing UNC. Otherwise they pay the buyout price and we're stuck negotiating with a new school, which could mean a one and one.

The Gamecock Outlaw
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
We shouldn't let them out of the contract unless we can get a better team from the ACC to come to Cola. Someone like VT.

FlorenceCock
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
We shouldn't let them out of the contract unless we can get a better team from the ACC to come to Cola. Someone like VT.
Screw that I want a team from the Big10 or Big12 and maybe the Pac10. If they wanted this thing so damn bad then they need to get us someone prominent from outside of the southeast.

Adiossuck
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Screw that I want a team from the Big10 or Big12 and maybe the Pac10. If they wanted this thing so damn bad then they need to get us someone prominent from outside of the southeast.

Yeah but do you think a Big 12 or Big 10 team will agree to come such a distance for just 1 game without having us come to their stadium for a future date?

GarnetInChicago
07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Why wouldn't we go to their stadium in the future? This is not going to be a one-shot deal if it isn't UNC. The fact that we played at UNC means jack to another team. If UNC doesn't play the game in Columbia, we're going to have have a new contract with another team, which could mean us going elsewhere for a return game. It would also mean UNC has to pay the $750,000 buyout.

Unless ESPN throws a ton of money at them to do a one-shot game at Columbia...

FlorenceCock
07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Why wouldn't we go to their stadium in the future? This is not going to be a one-shot deal if it isn't UNC. The fact that we played at UNC means jack to another team. If UNC doesn't play the game in Columbia, we're going to have have a new contract with another team, which could mean us going elsewhere for a return game. It would also mean UNC has to pay the $750,000 buyout.

Unless ESPN throws a ton of money at them to do a one-shot game at Columbia...
It is not going to be a home and home. Hyman made it clear that this will be a one shot deal for a team to come to Columbia to play us and ESPN would pick up the bill. We are not going to be doing a home and home with whatever team comes to play us for the first game next year.

GarnetInChicago
07-30-2009, 01:28 PM
It is not going to be a home and home. Hyman made it clear that this will be a one shot deal for a team to come to Columbia to play us and ESPN would pick up the bill. We are not going to be doing a home and home with whatever team comes to play us for the first game next year.
Cool, hadn't heard that tidbit. If ESPN picks up the bill, that's great. That's probably the only way we get a quality opponent to agree to this.

BATTLECAT
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
App State or Coastal Carolina would love to play yall:shotgunc::rotfl:. Just kidding. Don't move to smack. Hate to wreck a good thread.

Berry
07-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I heard this on the radio this afternoon on the way home on 1400am here in spartanburg, they were interviewing Scott Hood, and he said that he heard thru the grapevine that they are looking at Maryland or Miami as possible replacements for UNcarolina next year. If it was up to me it would be Miami hands down just for the recruiting. Plus last time we saw them they were picking fights.

pitchcock
07-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I thought about this on another thread..Bobby Bowden probably only has a year or two left at FSU...I'd like to play them.

Could you imagine the ratings for that game? Spurrier versus Bowden, on National TV to open the season?:woo:

Spartan
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I second that. If we can't get UNC-CH, lets get Florida State.

curious1
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I agree that the most logical would be an ACC game, preferably FSU. If that is not a possibility, what about a BIG 10, BIG XII or PAC 10 team?

Iowa, Penn State, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, Mizzou, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon...come to mind.

GarnetInChicago
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Just so long as it's not Pitt. I saw they were one of the possibilities. That gets us nothing, IMO. S*** on Pitt.