Your Ad Here

PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler...

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 12:54 PM
...is the next Larry Bird IMO. Not saying he is going to be as good, but he is the closest thing we've seen to him since the Legend himself retired. He plays just like Bird, and showed last night he can hit the big shots like Bird did too.

GarnetBlack&Blue
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
...is the next Larry Bird IMO. Not saying he is going to be as good, but he is the closest thing we've seen to him since the Legend himself retired. He plays just like Bird, and showed last night he can hit the big shots like Bird did too.

i don't know... he was anything but clutch on that last shot...

Halltj2
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM

Then he's not going to be the next Bird lol

...if anyone is the next Bird I'd say it's Hayward for Butler...btw the NBA scouts have Hayward rated as the highest prospect in last nights game according to Andy Katz

GarnetHero
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Just hope he stays 1 more year to hopefully make another run. With him Duke has a good shot at pre season no. 1.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
i don't know... he was anything but clutch on that last shot...

Yea, but every other time throughout the whole game when Duke needed a big shot they went to Singler and he delivered everytime.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Then he's not going to be the next Bird lol

...if anyone is the next Bird I'd say it's Hayward for Butler...btw the NBA scouts have Hayward rated as the highest prospect in last nights game according to Andy Katz

I think it's a little hard and premature to say he's going to be as good as one of the top 3 players of all time. But if anyone is going to be as good as Bird, Singler will be the closest we've seen thus far.

Heyward is a different style. He's more of a perimeter player while Singler goes down low much more like Bird did. But I agree Heyward was the best prospect on the floor. Cant argue with a 6-9 220 athletic sophmore who can do anything.

spareparts
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
...is the next Larry Bird IMO.

The Psychological Effects of LSD

The effects of LSD are unpredictable.They depend on the amount taken, the user's personality, mood, and expectations, and the surroundings in which the drug is used.The physical effects include dilated pupils, higher body temperature, increased heart rate and blood pressure, sweating, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, dry mouth, and tremors. Sensations and feelings change much more dramatically than the physical signs.The user may feel several different emotions at once or swing rapidly from one emotion to another.If taken in a large enough dose, the drug produces delusions and visual hallucinations.

crowcutta
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
the only things hayward really has in common with bird is being a small forward who can shoot. singler is more reminiscent of bird in style of play and body type, but i dont think he'll be an all star on the next level. im not sure hayward will either, but i have no doubt he can be a good player. hayward has good enough athleticism, he can handle the ball, create, shoot, and he's pretty long, prototypical small forward. we'll see what his draft prospects are and if he comes back. singler will probably come back, but who knows.

i think hayward will be much better than singler, and he wont flop like adam morrison did.

bmccall
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM

The effects of LSD are unpredictable.They depend on the amount taken, the user's personality, mood, and expectations, and the surroundings in which the drug is used.The physical effects include dilated pupils, higher body temperature, increased heart rate and blood pressure, sweating, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, dry mouth, and tremors. Sensations and feelings change much more dramatically than the physical signs.The user may feel several different emotions at once or swing rapidly from one emotion to another.If taken in a large enough dose, the drug produces delusions and visual hallucinations.

Thats what I was thinking

Halltj2
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
my comment about Hayward to Bird was somewhat in jest towards this thread topic as the "next Bird" is always declared whenever a white guy can play some ball and is the top white guy in college similarly to the "next Jordan" in the NBA...Adam Morrison, Wally Z, etc etc the "next Bird" has come and gone so much alread... happens every couple of years, I just get tired of the comparisons, but I understand the intent of the topic.

I don't mean any hate toward the OP but I get tired of "next Bird", "next Magic", "next MJ" discussions. I understand tho

PageUSC
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
my comment about Hayward to Bird was somewhat in jest towards this thread topic as the "next Bird" is always declared whenever a white guy can play some ball and is the top white guy in college similarly to the "next Jordan" in the NBA...Adam Morrison, Wally Z, etc etc the "next Bird" has come and gone so much alread... happens every couple of years, I just get tired of the comparisons, but I understand the intent of the topic.

I don't mean any hate toward the OP but I get tired of "next Bird", "next Magic", "next MJ" discussions. I understand tho

Me too! Bird is one of the greatest NBA players of all time. This is extremely premature.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
When I said the next Bird, I meant that in the way that he plays just like him. Maybe I shouldve worded it different. Like I said, Im not saying he's going to be as good, just that he reminds me of Bird the most. Adam Morrison was a joke comparison to Bird. I was a big Ammo fan, but all he was was a scorer. He wasn't anywhere near the rebounder Bird was. Singler rebounds, goes inside, and has a decent shot right now. Coach K has said Singler is good, but he has a chance to be very, very good.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM

.......uhh thanks. maybe you just saved my life by posting that and one day when I might think about trying LSD Ill think back to this and remember that might not be such a good thing.

SpurML
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow. And no.

There will never been another Larry Legend.

reddot8481
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
There will never be another Larry Legend for one reason and one reason only, even Larry at his prime couldn't compete in today's game. Today's players are to big and quick for pure shooters with minimal athletic attributes to compete. From the outside they are closed out to quickly and inside they would be man handled. The only way to even get close to Larry's status these days, is to be a 7 ft power forward with range. (Alla Nowitzki)

crowcutta
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
reddot you may have saved the original poster some grief with that last statement. ive always been a celtic hater, but id have to disagree about bird not being able to compete. at 6'9 with his skillset and shot he would still be an elite player today. he wouldnt be at his best defending the more athletic small forward types, but his basketball iq would allow him to be at least average on that end of the court. he'd be a much better defender at his respective position than steve nash has been during his suns tenure.

bmccall
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
There will never be another Larry Legend for one reason and one reason only, even Larry at his prime couldn't compete in today's game. Today's players are to big and quick for pure shooters with minimal athletic attributes to compete. From the outside they are closed out to quickly and inside they would be man handled. The only way to even get close to Larry's status these days, is to be a 7 ft power forward with range. (Alla Nowitzki)

and even Nowitzki is not even close to compare to Bird in his prime.

His slower, rely on heighth defense would never match up to the speed these days. But I think he could still shoot lights out on some of the better defenders in the NBA.

I think sometimes we forget who Larry Bird was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxHd83BqDpo&feature=related

I also enjoy the Spanish subtitles in this one

Also, how many people these days as ambidextrous as Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8&feature=related

CoverTwo
04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Dirk is the best shooting big man of all time.

GarnetBlack&Blue
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
and even Nowitzki is not even close to compare to Bird in his prime.

I don't know. Nowitzki's had less talent around him (for most of his career) and when he's at his best he is pretty comparable, maybe not as clutch, but he can certainly win games by himself when he's on.

bmccall
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Dirk is the best shooting big man of all time.

What do you consider a big man? over 6'11?

bmccall
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't know. Nowitzki's had less talent around him (for most of his career) and when he's at his best he is pretty comparable, maybe not as clutch, but he can certainly win games by himself when he's on.

Not taking anything away from Nowitzki, I like him and he is a really great player. But he will never be considered a basketball legend when his career ends, and it won't be for no reason.

GarnetBlack&Blue
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Not taking anything away from Nowitzki, I like him and he is a really great player. But he will never be considered a basketball legend when his career ends, and it won't be for no reason.

I agree that he won't be remembered as a legend, but i think it'll be because he never won a Champ., only made it to a finals once and had to play in Dallas (AKA football country). Have him and KG switch places since KG has been in Boston and i think he gets remembered quite well. I think his legacy will be that he is the premier breakthrough European player (considering Vlade more of a role-player)

bmccall
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree that he won't be remembered as a legend, but i think it'll be because he never won a Champ., only made it to a finals once and had to play in Dallas (AKA football country). Have him and KG switch places since KG has been in Boston and i think he gets remembered quite well. I think his legacy will be that he is the premier breakthrough European player (considering Vlade more of a role-player)

Nowitzki is one of my favorite players in the NBA. Seriously, him and Lebron are probably my top two favs to watch. each season and I do believe that him not winning a Champ. does hurt him a good bit.

I just find it hard to compare him to Larry Bird. Larry Bird would shoot behind the backboard when getting pushed out of bounds, pass the ball off the glass to himself when he was covered, you just don't see anyone doing that since him, those were the things that made him great. When he thought basketball was too easy, he would challenge himself (shooting a game almost entirely left handed, asking his defenders where should he make his shot from) and he backed it all up on top of that and on top of his just naturally great jump shot. Its more than just Bird's shooting.

Granted, everyone has their own opinion and to each their own. I've never been a Celts fan but I have been a Larry Bird fan since I was little, so I may just be biased.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Nowitzki is one of my favorite players in the NBA. Seriously, him and Lebron are probably my top two favs to watch. each season and I do believe that him not winning a Champ. does hurt him a good bit.

I just find it hard to compare him to Larry Bird. Larry Bird would shoot behind the backboard when getting pushed out of bounds, pass the ball off the glass to himself when he was covered, you just don't see anyone doing that since him, those were the things that made him great. When he thought basketball was too easy, he would challenge himself (shooting a game almost entirely left handed, asking his defenders where should he make his shot from) and he backed it all up on top of that and on top of his just naturally great jump shot. Its more than just Bird's shooting.

Granted, everyone has their own opinion and to each their own. I've never been a Celts fan but I have been a Larry Bird fan since I was little, so I may just be biased.

Kobe does this all the time.

Jamie61190
04-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Dirk has had less talent around him than Bird for all of his career. Bird had 3 hall of famers around him.

GarnetBlack&Blue
04-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I gotcha, in you first post it just sounded like you weren't really giving Dirk much credit, but i see what you're saying now.

reddot8481
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
That left hand game is BS by the way, if you watch the vid yes he makes some left hand shots but they were necessary because of position of the defender and contact in some cases. He didn't play the game left handed. Over half the shots were outside jumpers which were right handed.

bmccall
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Dirk has had less talent around him than Bird for all of his career. Bird had 3 hall of famers around him.

Would it not be easier for a "legend" to stand out when he has no one around him that can compare to him?

Logically, if Bird was playing around McHale and Parrish, etc and Bird still stood out as the star above them, that says a lot more, because all the focus would not be on him and would be shared, unless he was doing things no one else was doing at the time. Which he was.

In contrast, since Dirk has much less talent around him, that makes him look much, much better, so he would have the edge to stand out even moreso

Jamie61190
04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Would it not be easier for a "legend" to stand out when he has no one around him that can compare to him?

Logically, if Bird was playing around McHale and Parrish, etc and Bird still stood out as the star above them, that says a lot more, because all the focus would not be on him and would be shared, unless he was doing things no one else was doing at the time. Which he was.

In contrast, since Dirk has much less talent around him, that makes him look much, much better, so he would have the edge to stand out even moreso

Oh I wasn't in the Dirk-Bird conversation, someone just said that Dirk has had less talent around him for most of his career than Bird did, and I was just saying that he's had less talent for his whole career because Bird had 3 HOF's around him.

bmccall
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Oh I wasn't in the Dirk-Bird conversation, someone just said that Dirk has had less talent around him for most of his career than Bird did, and I was just saying that he's had less talent for his whole career because Bird had 3 HOF's around him.

Oh yeah I agree completely, I thought you were in on the Bird-Dirk comparison haha. :thumbsup: