Your Ad Here

PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks and helmets popping off?

Herbie3
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I've never seen so many helmets flying off like they are this season. Both in College an NFL games. Heard last night that one reason why mostly was because of kids with Dreadlocks an having to wear a bigger helmet than they normally would.

Is that true?

SNEEZ
01-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Sounds plausible...I always wondered if corn rows would be uncomfortable just bc of the bulk on the head...but idk.

jfbreb94
01-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I think the cornrows could have hurt Latti last night. I really hate to see any kid get hurt for a fashion statement. They neeed to have those helmets on as tight as possible. All the concussions and helmets coming off is getting guys hurt. Football is dangerous enough.

Herbie3
01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I think the cornrows could have hurt Latti last night. I really hate to see any kid get hurt for a fashion statement. They neeed to have those helmets on as tight as possible. All the concussions and helmets coming off is getting guys hurt. Football is dangerous enough.

Good point. I do suppose the cornrows would cause more of a problem than dreads.

Bigbadcock12
01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I remember growing up playing ball! The coach would make us cut our hair!

cockypirate
01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I have noticed that everytime lattimore would get up from a run this year he was re-adjusting his helmet and buckling up his chin strap. I know its a physical game but if we can make a remote plane with a pilot hundreds of miles away dropping bombs on things, i think we could make a helmet fit a little better. That guy from UNC is real lucky he didnt crush his face with that head to helmet hit the other day. If you look at the still photo on gamecock central of the hit the helmet was pushed back like 2 good inches on latti's head.

Culbretd
01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I have noticed that everytime lattimore would get up from a run this year he was re-adjusting his helmet and buckling up his chin strap. I know its a physical game but if we can make a remote plane with a pilot hundreds of miles away dropping bombs on things, i think we could make a helmet fit a little better. That guy from UNC is real lucky he didnt crush his face with that head to helmet hit the other day. If you look at the still photo on gamecock central of the hit the helmet was pushed back like 2 good inches on latti's head.

:rotfl::rotfl: Maybe we need the military making our helmets for us then! I agree the helmets should be on tight just for player safety.

usc90grad
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Never thought about the hair being an issue. I thought maybe the helmet design had changed and they were going for comfort over safety.

gamecock28
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Good point. I do suppose the cornrows would cause more of a problem than dreads.

True, the majority in the league with hair tend to have dreads. Exception of houshmendazeh and probably polamalu.

USCBatgirl21
01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I've never seen so many helmets flying off like they are this season. Both in College an NFL games. Heard last night that one reason why mostly was because of kids with Dreadlocks an having to wear a bigger helmet than they normally would.

Is that true?

While that may be one reason, it isn't the only reason b/c I've seen just as many helmets popping off guys with no hair as I have guys with braids/dreads/cornrows/whathaveyou.

TKE226
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
This thread is silly

gocockswyn
01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I do think there needs to be a better design for helmets. Not just the fit, but how well they absorb the impact. We have the technology, it just needs to be tested at the possible force of impact. It is ridiculous that these kids get so many concussions.

Herbie3
01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
While that may be one reason, it isn't the only reason b/c I've seen just as many helmets popping off guys with no hair as I have guys with braids/dreads/cornrows/whathaveyou.

I wonder if helmets pop off of the Army, Navy, an Air Force players like other teams?

SNEEZ
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Idk, just watch Alshon run...his helmet looks like a bobblehead

horseshoefootball
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
How many of our players wear the newer model helmets which supposedly reduce the chance of concussions. It doesn't look to me like Lattimore was wearing one of those helmets.

usc90grad
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I thought I read something about this a while back. Found the article from October. Interesting read.

The players maybe aren't wearing the correct size helmet; maybe they're not being fit properly. There could be some design flaws," said Rod Trafford, a former NFL player and now southeast regional sales manager for Xenith, the newest major helmetmaker. "It seems the past two or three years, it's become an epidemic."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-10-07-flying-helmets_N.htm

lauderdalecock
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
On this topic, did anyone notice Marcus adjusting his headgear after every play all year long? Don't think it's because of his hair. To me it seems that the headgear didn't fit right and would slide down on his face. The helmet came off quite a bit and he was always having to re-snap the chin strap. Could it be his face mask was what cut his mouth when he was hit. I bet he has a different helmet next time we see him.

Also agree with A J's helmet looking like a bobble head. It doesn't seem like it fits right either.

uscfreek88
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
How many of our players wear the newer model helmets which supposedly reduce the chance of concussions. It doesn't look to me like Lattimore was wearing one of those helmets.
i have never understood why everyone doesnt wear those helmets

i remember the first time i saw one....Cris Carter when he was a Dolphin.....thought it was the ugliest thing ever

its really grown on me now tho

i have heard, a few years ago, that guys dont want to wear those b/c they wanted to be "tough" but i think it is more stupid than tough

basically....just wear the best thing you can

horseshoefootball
01-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah, our staff now owes it to the players and fans to do everything in their power to force the players to wear helmets which fit properly. Reid's hit came up under the facemask; if that helmet fit better, maybe we don't lose Marcus for the bowl game.