Your Ad Here

PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Question

kre25
10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
With Ellington being put in the News Today, I was wondering if He is on Football or Basketball Scholarship?

Was SC forced to put him on Football Scholarship because he is playing Football?

Because of Nebraska they changed allot of rules concerning players being on other Teams and the Football Team at the same time.

At one time 90% of Nebraska's Track Team was on the Football Team while on Track Scholarships.

This was a way around the Scholarship Limit rule.

Just wondering?

Luke Skycocker
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, by rule, he is on a football scholarship.

Luke Skycocker
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Also, I thought it was called the Bear Bryant Rule.

kre25
10-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes, by rule, he is on a football scholarship.

Thanks for the quick response!!:thumbsup:

FlorenceCock
10-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Also, I thought it was called the Bear Bryant Rule.
I don't know why people call it the Bear Bryant rule. They had no scholarship limit when Bear was coaching. They started this rule because Miami had a ton of guys on track and tennis scholarship also playing football.

ColaCock
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I personally don't see why this rule exists. Well, I see WHY (as mentioned above)...but I don't agree with it.

If you have 7 scholarships to give out for track and field and those same players play football...who cares which side they are coming from? As long as they participate in both sports, I don't see a problem.

Luke Skycocker
10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I personally don't see why this rule exists. Well, I see WHY (as mentioned above)...but I don't agree with it.

If you have 7 scholarships to give out for track and field and those same players play football...who cares which side they are coming from? As long as they participate in both sports, I don't see a problem.

Because the football coach could make some guys play other sports, freeing up more and more scholarships

kre25
10-11-2011, 07:09 PM

We have an 85 Scholarship limit, if they did not stop it, many Schools would give 20 Track Scholarships to Football Players and not care how the Track Team did.

That would give an unfair advantage of 105 Scholarship Players to 85 for everyone else!

sc455
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
eh,,85 is too many anyway..heck, people cant break the lineup as it is and end up transferring.

drop it another 10 and i think it would be fine. if you cant play with 75 people something is wrong. the competition would get better as a result.

GarnetBlack&Blue
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM

because that kills the spirit of competition in your track team, something that if you ignore then college sports really do become a farce.

eh,,85 is too many anyway..heck, people cant break the lineup as it is and end up transferring.

drop it another 10 and i think it would be fine. if you cant play with 75 people something is wrong. the competition would get better as a result.

no way dude... you've got to bring that many guys in... what if we only brought in 75 and then 20 didn't pan out? we'd have no depth.