CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Kyle Carpenter to lead Gamecocks Cheer (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209348)

Gaichon 08-27-2014 04:06 PM

Re: Kyle Carpenter to lead Gamecocks Cheer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4237295)
You're splitting hairs.

It's far from splitting hairs. Like the others said, I'll respectfully correct anyone that calls me a soldier, instead of Marine. I'd expect members of the other branches to do the same.

Next time you meet a Dr., refer to him/her as nurse then ask if its just splitting hairs.

Regardless, great that the university is honoring Cpl Carpenter - I'd love to be there to watch. As it is, I'll be stuck watching here in TX surrounded by Aggies!

Semper Fi and Go Cocks!

GarnetBlackAttack 08-27-2014 04:35 PM

It's all too confusing. Can I just call you John, Jack, or Jimmy?

BlueHerons 08-27-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bed Sores (Post 4237692)
You spent all that time discussing that you're a Marine and finished it with saying you hate when people expose themselves as Veterans.

NICE!

Reread his quote. He said to get something free.

Texas_Terror 08-27-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryarx (Post 4237668)
If someone calls me a soldier, I correct them.

If they say "same thing" I explain that it isn't.

I earned the title of Marine at Parris Island. I chose to go in the USMC, not the Army. The purpose of each is different.

The army is an occupying force, Marines are the tip of the spear. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but the patch on my uniform that said U.S. MARINES is never blurry.

While I can appreciate those that think it's "all the same" don't need to know the difference: I don't ask much, just call me Marine. Not soldier, not sailor, not airman. I am a Marine. If you don't, I won't get mad, I'll correct you. If you say it's all the same I will explain the difference. Then I hope it stops there.

I don't usually get on a soap box, and I hate when/if people say "I'm a veteran" to get something. But for those that didn't get to come back home, please take a few seconds to know the difference.

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor
Air Force = airmen (regardless of gender)

I dont really understand what the hang up is with this. If you can't respect a person who put there life on the line for their country enough to call them by what they ask then you dont respect them for what they did serving the military. I guess that comes from being surrounded by marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen. As much as they give each other enough grief anyway, someone who hasn't served has no idea the work you have to put into earning that title. And until they do doesn't get a say in my opinion.

TheUSCMike 08-27-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

I earned the title of Marine at Parris Island. I chose to go in the USMC, not the Army. The purpose of each is different.

The army is an occupying force, Marines are the tip of the spear. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but the patch on my uniform that said U.S. MARINES is never blurry.

While I can appreciate those that think it's "all the same" don't need to know the difference: I don't ask much, just call me Marine. Not soldier, not sailor, not airman. I am a Marine. If you don't, I won't get mad, I'll correct you. If you say it's all the same I will explain the difference. Then I hope it stops there.

I don't usually get on a soap box, and I hate when/if people say "I'm a veteran" to get something. But for those that didn't get to come back home, please take a few seconds to know the difference.

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor

I agree with most of this but I have to disagree with your oversimplification of the differences.
My WWII D-Day veteran dad and the men he served with would take exception to being called an occupying force when they were storming the beaches at Normandy.

Bed Sores 08-27-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUSCMike (Post 4237858)
[/b]
I agree with most of this but I have to disagree with your oversimplification of the differences.
My WWII D-Day veteran dad and the men he served with would take exception to being called an occupying force when they were storming the beaches at Normandy.

Eeasssy there. You're talking to a Marine.

sporkgod50 08-27-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaichon (Post 4237740)
It's far from splitting hairs. Like the others said, I'll respectfully correct anyone that calls me a soldier, instead of Marine. I'd expect members of the other branches to do the same.

Next time you meet a Dr., refer to him as nurse then ask if its just splitting hairs.

Regardless, great that the university is honoring Cpl Carpenter - I'd love to be there to watch. As it is, I'll be stuck watching here in TX surrounded by Aggies!

Semper Fi and Go Cocks!

I want to start out by saying that I am grateful for all of our service men and women. I have always used the term soldier to mean a person in the military. and referred to marines specifically. as in not only is he a solider but actually a marine. from reading the posts in this thread and independently confirming it, i understand that that is technically incorrect but I cant see how it would be offensive. everyone knows the marines are the hardest of the branches of military. I just never knew soldier was specific to the army instead of a general term.

with regard to your doctor/nurse analogy, I'd say most people's intent is more like calling a neurosurgeon a doctor instead of a neurosurgeon. we all know it is way harder to be a neurosurgeon than a family doctor, but are just using the term loosely.

markp_vip 08-27-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor

or
Soldier = Grunt = Me
Marine = Jarhead
Sailor = Squid
Airmen = Well that's demeaning enough already. 8-)
God bless all our men and women in uniform and their families for all they have done and will do in the future.

Gaichon 08-28-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporkgod50 (Post 4237884)
I want to start out by saying that I am grateful for all of our service men and women. I have always used the term soldier to mean a person in the military. and referred to marines specifically. as in not only is he a solider but actually a marine. from reading the posts in this thread and independently confirming it, i understand that that is technically incorrect but I cant see how it would be offensive. everyone knows the marines are the hardest of the branches of military. I just never knew soldier was specific to the army instead of a general term.

with regard to your doctor/nurse analogy, I'd say most people's intent is more like calling a neurosurgeon a doctor instead of a neurosurgeon. we all know it is way harder to be a neurosurgeon than a family doctor, but are just using the term loosely.

good enough. we understand each other.

Aggie96 08-28-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4236920)
Kyle is a Marine not a soldier.

This and someone who I posted about months back. A true hero and an inspiration to all Marines.
:bow:

Aggie96 08-28-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4237295)
You're splitting hairs.

NEGATIVE!!! There is a HUGE difference:-x

Aggie96 08-28-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bed Sores (Post 4237692)
You spent all that time discussing that you're a Marine and finished it with saying you hate when people expose themselves as Veterans.

NICE!

Ease up Sores... Jarhead family is a strong bond. :-x

Aggie96 08-28-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Terror (Post 4237833)
I dont really understand what the hang up is with this. If you can't respect a person who put there life on the line for their country enough to call them by what they ask then you dont respect them for what they did serving the military. I guess that comes from being surrounded by marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen. As much as they give each other enough grief anyway, someone who hasn't served has no idea the work you have to put into earning that title. And until they do doesn't get a say in my opinion.

Go step on the Yellow Footprints and it will be all clear for you...
People in the Army say thing like " I was a xxxxx in the Army"
People in the Navy say "I was xxxxx in the Navy"
Marines just say I AM a Marine. Never ends, and it cheapens everything a Marine went through and every sacrifice other Devil Dogs made to call them anything other than "MARINE"

Acockolypse Now 08-28-2014 12:52 PM

We have reached the point where people will now argue over anything on the board.

Come on guys, it's Game Day.

Aggie96 08-28-2014 12:56 PM

Much more than just "anything"

Order 66 08-28-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aggie96 (Post 4238835)
Much more than just "anything"

We get it, you are a marine, thanks for your service.

TroubleCock 08-28-2014 06:00 PM

Their doing his story on sec network now.

FeloniousCock 08-28-2014 06:06 PM

Ok i will admit i teared up. Man this is how the season needed to start. Thank you Lance corporal Carpenter!!!! Go Cocks!!!