CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Winter Storm 2.0 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203969)

SterlingBrooks 02-10-2014 01:35 AM

Re: Snow and Ice Again (Tuesday - Thursday Morning)

Somebody call and let Atlanta know

bigdog2003 02-10-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCCUChants (Post 4084839)
You guys must have been mature. I'd never do that. 1) I have stalkers in my class and 2) I couldn't fit 65 kids in my apartment. Sounds like you guys may have had a good class environment though.

It was a AP Euro History class, so only 9 people were in it. Great times in that class, the teacher would bring his guitar and play music for us, we went on some great field trips, and we all got along well, that doesn't happen often in a high school classroom.

Cock Kool-Aid 02-10-2014 11:18 AM

Weather.com says it's going to rain tonight and then "rain/snow" starting at 6 AM tomorrow, turning into just rain at noon, then to ice rain at 9 PM... coming down all day. I usually leave the house at about 6:20 AM, so wondering whether or not I should call in if that forecast holds true... I've got a 35 minute interstate commute and any ice or even snow concerns me with these SC drivers.

IMACOCK 02-10-2014 12:48 PM

Weather.com is saying the snow starts at 3am tonight/Tues morning in the upstate and rain/snow at 9am Tues morning in Cola. The latest I'm seeing is that the upstate could see 3-6 inches and the midlands could see about 1-3 inches with 1/4-3/4 inches of ice.

bigdog2003 02-10-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4084998)
Weather.com says it's going to rain tonight and then "rain/snow" starting at 6 AM tomorrow, turning into just rain at noon, then to ice rain at 9 PM... coming down all day. I usually leave the house at about 6:20 AM, so wondering whether or not I should call in if that forecast holds true... I've got a 35 minute interstate commute and any ice or even snow concerns me with these SC drivers.

Same for me, I have a 45 minute drive down 26 in the morning to work. Hopefully the schools decide something today/tonight.

usc_yogi 02-10-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCCUChants (Post 4084642)
As an AP teacher, I hope we don't get any. Any make up day after May 14th is worthless to me. I've already lost two days my students will never get back. I think I'll be doing Saturday review sessions this year before the exam.

I am with you on that. I teach the same kids both AP Gov and AP Macroeconomics. Thankfully I convinced the district to let me teach these kids everyday this year on our block schedule so I am not too far behind. I still need to finish one unit in Gov and two units in Macro and have time to review. I wouldn't mind a two hour delay though since I don't see these kids until last period.

CCC 02-10-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4084554)
If it snows that means staying overnight at work and draw at least 14 hours of OT.

Where do you work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog2003 (Post 4084639)
As a teacher I hope we don't get any. Already have 2 days to make up now.

An article I read in yesterday's paper said Charleston and/or Berkeley County might not make up the 2.5 days they missed. The kids are pretty happy about that. :lol:

bigdog2003 02-10-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCC (Post 4085208)
Where do you work?

An article I read in yesterday's paper said Charleston and/or Berkeley County might not make up the 2.5 days they missed. The kids are pretty happy about that. :lol:

I think we will be in a position where we miss 2 days this week. We won't make them up, we have no more make up days built in, and if they did something crazy schedule wise, the teachers wouldn't show up.

CCC 02-10-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog2003 (Post 4085211)
I think we will be in a position where we miss 2 days this week. We won't make them up, we have no more make up days built in, and if they did something crazy schedule wise, the teachers wouldn't show up.

Well, look at the bright side, you're getting paid for those snow days, right? :thumbsup:

IMACOCK 02-10-2014 02:36 PM

We missed too many days when I was a senior and we actually had to go to school after graduation. During graduation, they didn't give us our actual diplomas so we would have to come in that day to get them.

bigdog2003 02-10-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCC (Post 4085215)
Well, look at the bright side, you're getting paid for those snow days, right? :thumbsup:

I would rather be at work than sitting at home. I have never liked getting paid when I'm not working.

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-10-2014 09:06 PM

Winter Storm 2.0

Here we go again, not snow this time but freezing rain. TWC has Columbia as likely to lose power from this winter storm. Looks like I will be staying overnight at work again for this storm, as a precaution for the retirement community residents. Massive OT again.

lencho30 02-10-2014 09:12 PM

Re: Winter Storm 2.0

OT is sometimes a good thing especially around tax time!

MEL 02-10-2014 11:56 PM

I live in metro Atlanta (north of the city) and the counties have already cancelled school for the next 2 days. The college here did the same thing. My husband went to the store this morning and there was no bread or milk left. Instead of calling this Winter Storm #2, we should call it "Massive Panic #2". Lol.

Captain9Dragons 02-11-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEL (Post 4085613)
I live in metro Atlanta (north of the city) and the counties have already cancelled school for the next 2 days. The college here did the same thing. My husband went to the store this morning and there was no bread or milk left. Instead of calling this Winter Storm #2, we should call it "Massive Panic #2". Lol.

it was epic, i saw folks buying anything to make fire, starter logs, sterno, propane

warriorchief 02-11-2014 12:19 AM

We ran out of ice melt, rock salt, pool salt before I left work at 2. We were dangerously low on fire logs, pipe wrap, 1lb propane bottles, and faucet covers. And I must've sold about 15 propane exchanges for a 20lb tank and close to 50 bales of wheat straw. Not to mention the store sold 2 $999 generators, 3 $549 generators, and a 2200w inverter. When I left, there was 1 of each generator, and 3 inverters left. Absolute madhouse.

Gyle41386 02-11-2014 12:45 AM

I'm not thrilled to be reading about a "potentially devastating" ice storm heading this way. Power outages aren't my idea of a good time.

M.C. 02-11-2014 01:49 AM

suppose to get 6-12 inches of snow here in charlotte

RGHoskins 02-11-2014 02:00 AM

My ****ing garage is being built in 3 weeks :-|

davidmc467 02-11-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorchief (Post 4085629)
We ran out of ice melt, rock salt, pool salt before I left work at 2. We were dangerously low on fire logs, pipe wrap, 1lb propane bottles, and faucet covers. And I must've sold about 15 propane exchanges for a 20lb tank and close to 50 bales of wheat straw. Not to mention the store sold 2 $999 generators, 3 $549 generators, and a 2200w inverter. When I left, there was 1 of each generator, and 3 inverters left. Absolute madhouse.

Winter storms are good for business :thumbsup:

I'm getting some sleet in Chapin, but I'm about to go to work in Columbia where it is just rain.