CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Official SEC Network and TV Provider discussion thread (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206019)

HUGEGARNETCOCK 04-22-2014 11:30 AM

Official SEC Network and TV Provider discussion thread

http://www.getsecnetwork.com/Default...=southcarolina

I know this was posted before but I didn't find it with my search. Mods if you want to link it together please do so. Really hope Directv picks up the tab so it has the SEC Network by football season or I am switching providers. Follow the link and Demand the SEC Network!!

to see a list of the providers who have signed up to carry this (thanks darrena)

Quote:

If you go to this link:

http://www.getsecnetwork.com/#Faq

Click the question How can I get the SEC Network in time for the August 2014 launch? you will see a full list:

uscsandstorm85 04-22-2014 12:30 PM

Re: Get the SEC Network for your TV provider!!!

This thread should be stickied.

HUGEGARNETCOCK 04-22-2014 02:57 PM

Agreed!

Jethro Beaver 04-22-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK (Post 4140413)

I know this was posted before but I didn't find it with my search. Mods if you want to link it together please do so. Really hope Directv picks up the tab so it has the SEC Network by football season or I am switching providers. Follow the link and Demand the SEC Network!!

Done and shared and tweeted!!

HUGEGARNETCOCK 04-23-2014 09:30 AM

Bump. Does no one have DirecTv or is it that none of you who do want the SEC Network?

SR4-AJ1 04-23-2014 11:51 AM

I have twc and am in the same situation. They really need to pick this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamecocks1137 05-04-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK (Post 4141282)
Bump. Does no one have DirecTv or is it that none of you who do want the SEC Network?

I have it, and I keep requesting they get it. Not much else we can do really. Also heard Direct TV is going to be bought by another provider.

Senior Rooster 05-09-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK (Post 4140413)

I too will change providers if necessary.

cbx79 05-12-2014 08:24 AM

Direct kept giving me the same runaround so I dumped them for Uverse.

cockybusiness2 05-12-2014 09:26 AM

If direct does not get it together, I too will change

Nassau Gamecock 05-16-2014 11:44 AM

I contacted my cable provider; they would like to be contacted by the SEC network - asked me if I had any affiliation.
Does anybody know - I'm just starting to search now- a programing manager or some such title and I'll try to hook them up.

highpockets12 05-16-2014 12:33 PM

AT&T Universe has made bid to buy out Direct.They already have deal w/sec tv. Hope deal goes thru quickly or at least be4 season starts. contract default is expensive plus you are responsiable 4 cost of returning equipment..

Xnex 06-02-2014 02:07 PM

Got Charter Communications here in the upstate and I swear I will drop them like a bad habit if they don't get on the ball and pick up the SEC network. This is one thing I will be very serious about.

CockyLifer 06-02-2014 02:22 PM

Well I read At&t now owns Directtv. I have Dish Network and they know where their bread is buttered and that is in the South. They were the first network to make sure that the new network would be included. Now I don't trust the corporations and they will fee the cost out of me somewhere I already know just a smart business decision by them to at least look like they cared. lol

USCCO2009 06-02-2014 04:44 PM

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on this and I emailed Directv and got this response:

"Subject
SEC Network
Administrator
We strongly believe every SEC fan should have access to the SEC Network on DIRECTV and customers can rest assured that is our goal as we continue our discussions with the owners of the channel. Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitor, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network's launch in August.

For more information please visit directvpromise.com."

It sounds pretty promising they will reach a deal in time for footbally season.

ELCID14 06-02-2014 05:16 PM

TWC seems to be the biggest hold out, does anyone have info on the status of negotiation between them and ESPN ?

uscgamecocks88 06-02-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELCID14 (Post 4174508)
TWC seems to be the biggest hold out, does anyone have info on the status of negotiation between them and ESPN ?

I will be very surprised if they do not get it. They have a large presence in North and South Carolina. Pretty sure they are based in charlotte (Time Warner Cable Arena). Interestingly enough, SECN studios will be in charlotte...

Gamecocks1137 06-02-2014 08:50 PM

Still no word on Direct TV picking up the SEC Network or ESPN3 online. Which is strange considering it was bought out by AT&T and AT&T have both of these.

uscfsu23 06-02-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4174661)
Still no word on Direct TV picking up the SEC Network or ESPN3 online. Which is strange considering it was bought out by AT&T and AT&T have both of these.

I imagine this is because the deal with AT&T will take at least a year to complete... maybe longer than that.

Gamecocks1137 06-02-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscfsu23 (Post 4174678)
I imagine this is because the deal with AT&T will take at least a year to complete... maybe longer than that.

Well I sure hope at least the SEC Network is picked up, or I am looking else where.

Cocklover 06-03-2014 08:20 AM

I did read where TWC is working on it...so hopefully soon we'll hear something. You know TWC...it could be the day before the launch that we actually get it...LOL

treys1986 06-03-2014 08:26 AM

I give Time Warner Cable until July 28th. If they don't have it by then, I will be switching.

HUGEGARNETCOCK 06-04-2014 08:07 AM

Bump! Go tell your provider you that you want the SEC network!!!!!

walnut777 06-08-2014 01:23 PM

Thanks for this info. This is the reason I looked for a forum to join so I could find out more about this. I have Directv and I hate the competitors in my area which are Dish and Charter. So, I guess if Directv doesnt strike a deal then I'll be switching to Dish.

uscgamecocks88 06-08-2014 01:26 PM

I have Time Warner. They don't have it. I'll be pissed if they don't get it. I really don't want a satellite. I've heard some bad things about satellite tv

Braveguy06 06-19-2014 01:40 AM

Also so with TWC. Will be switching first week of August if nothing is done by then.

vthokies 06-19-2014 02:46 PM

Im pretty worried about this I have comcast, we don't have TWC in Virginia. I dont know who else we could switch to

Gamecocks1137 06-19-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthokies (Post 4186475)
Im pretty worried about this I have comcast, we don't have TWC in Virginia. I dont know who else we could switch to

Dish or AT&T Uverse. Direct TV does not have the SEC Network yet, but I am 99% sure they will get it. They are in talks right now.

uscgamecocks88 06-24-2014 07:08 PM

Any word on Time Warner Cable? Considering dropping them

Edit: saw this on the TWC website:

Is Time Warner Cable going to add the SEC Network to its channel lineup?

We are currently engaged in discussions with the SEC Network, but we have not yet reached an agreement permitting us to distribute the channel.

Eutaw Kid 06-24-2014 07:33 PM

I have Dish and understand they have picked the SEC network up. Is this an additional charge or not? Does anybody know?

uscgamecocks88 06-24-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid (Post 4190033)
I have Dish and understand they have picked the SEC network up. Is this an additional charge or not? Does anybody know?

I've heard it will be an additional charge. Not sure if you can order it by itself or if it will be part of a sports package

ColaCock 06-24-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid (Post 4190033)

Very unlikely, but it could depend on the provider.

ESPN, as it does now, will charge the provider a given amount per subscriber. ESPN is one of the most expensive lineups for providers to carry and I have heard they account for around 20% of your cable bill...so even if you don't care for sports and have a basic package, you help pay for it.

So in all, your bill may increase...but it will be automatic and not something you can really opt out of unless you dropped your package to something basic (i.e. doesn't have ESPN2, ESPNU, etc). It likely won't be an added channel you pay for.

I get the Big10 network down here and don't pay separate for it. It's just lumped all in with the rest of my channel lineup.

uscgamecocks88 06-24-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColaCock (Post 4190066)
Very unlikely, but it could depend on the provider.

ESPN, as it does now, will charge the provider a given amount per subscriber. ESPN is one of the most expensive lineups for providers to carry and I have heard they account for around 20% of your cable bill...so even if you don't care for sports and have a basic package, you help pay for it.

So in all, your bill may increase...but it will be automatic and not something you can really opt out of unless you dropped your package to something basic (i.e. doesn't have ESPN2, ESPNU, etc). It likely won't be an added channel you pay for.

I get the Big10 network down here and don't pay separate for it. It's just lumped all in with the rest of my channel lineup.

I just dropped my TWC package to save a little money and it doesn't have the U. Hopefully it's not too low where I don't get SECN

trapper82 06-24-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 (Post 4190021)
Any word on Time Warner Cable? Considering dropping them

Edit: saw this on the TWC website:

Is Time Warner Cable going to add the SEC Network to its channel lineup?

We are currently engaged in discussions with the SEC Network, but we have not yet reached an agreement permitting us to distribute the channel.

The key week is mid July.

Arm Chair QB 06-28-2014 01:58 PM

SEC Network getting nervous

New article
6~26~14
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/sec-...ng-launch.html

BlueHerons 06-28-2014 03:37 PM

Re: SEC Network getting nervous

I doubt they are getting nervous. ESPN is pouring millions into the SEC Network. I'm sure they are in the process of hammering out the details with the big carriers.

ESPN would never have launched the network if they thought there was a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't happen, too much is on the line.

GarnetSwarm1990 06-28-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHerons (Post 4192508)
I doubt they are getting nervous. ESPN is pouring millions into the SEC Network. I'm sure they are in the process of hammering out the details with the big carriers.

ESPN would never have launched the network if they thought there was a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't happen, too much is on the line.

They pretty much just have to be ironing out the small details of money with the big companies. I mean no Directtv or Fios? I feel like I'm leaving another big company out but can't think of who it might be.

Those companies will catch hell from the south if they don't carry it, and they have to know that.

Storm Of Spurs 06-28-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 (Post 4192542)
They pretty much just have to be ironing out the small details of money with the big companies. I mean no Directtv or Fios? I feel like I'm leaving another big company out but can't think of who it might be.

Those companies will catch hell from the south if they don't carry it, and they have to know that.

Time Warner.

sunbeam 06-28-2014 05:45 PM

I dunno I think sports in this country is yet another bubble like housing or the late 90's stock bubble.

It is pretty much a product of how much money cable companies are willing to pay for content.

And as an aside, they charge all their customers in order to subsidize programming that appeals to a subset of those customers.

Cable (and broadcast TV) are in a long term decline in viewership, pretty much due to the internet, both for a competitor in video, and with totally different forms of entertainment.

One day a major sport is going to try to renegotiate a contract, and find there are no bidders at the price they are expecting. Or maybe no bidders.

And that day is going to change everything. If I owned a sports team, I'd sell it ASAP. I have no idea if I'd lose some appreciation by selling short of a "market top," but these things are hard to time. Based on my reading I was pretty sure the housing market was a bubble by 2004 (along with a lot of other people), but it kept on trucking till late 2007.

And the SEC is no different from anything else. You see Devil's Advocate posters (some one brought up major league baseball in a thread I participated in once, though I don't understand what is different with them), but there is no way SEC teams are paying for all this football related infrastructure from ticket sales and concessions. Some teams make good money from merchandise, but I'd bet that is a drop in the bucket compared to TV money.

If sports teams had to make broadcast revenue from some kind of pay per view internet thing, they would go broke or have to adjust in a hurry. And I'm not talking about piracy, I just don't think they could sell 25 million dollars or so in viewership rights over the internet (referring to the SEC here).

Well anyway, it is a little early. But things like Texas high schools building 50,000 seat stadiums on the public dime? That is a bubble sign in my book.

trapper82 06-28-2014 05:53 PM

That one comment is being blown out of proportion.