CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread** (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203304)

Cockhornleghorn 01-20-2014 02:38 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPat (Post 4064651)
Maybe, maybe not. Geno's an exceptionally competitive person. I suspect that he wants to break a few more of Pat's records in order to solidify his position as the best WBB coach ever.

Have you seen a typical UCONN OOC schedule? It would kill any other team. They beat top-ten teams like we beat Bama today with regularity. That's the difference between our two programs right now. Next order of business to catch them: SIGN A'JA.

Dawn Staley is every bit as competitive as is Geno. We couldn't beat them this season, but with next year's class coming in we will be able to compete with anyone, even if A'ja doesn't become a Gamecock. I really, really want her to come to Carolina, though.

OldPat 01-20-2014 03:26 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4064668)
Dawn Staley is every bit as competitive as is Geno. We couldn't beat them this season, but with next year's class coming in we will be able to compete with anyone, even if A'ja doesn't become a Gamecock. I really, really want her to come to Carolina, though.

Didn't say Geno is more competitive than Dawn. What I am saying is that Geno's competitiveness may keep him coaching longer than you think.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the importance of signing A'ja.

DS has signed a great class, but I don't see us beating UCONN if she's a Husky instead of a Gamecock-especially not until Stewart graduates three yrs from now.

Cockhornleghorn 01-20-2014 07:21 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPat (Post 4064677)
Didn't say Geno is more competitive than Dawn. What I am saying is that Geno's competitiveness may keep him coaching longer than you think.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the importance of signing A'ja.

DS has signed a great class, but I don't see us beating UCONN if she's a Husky instead of a Gamecock-especially not until Stewart graduates three yrs from now.

I am very confident A'ja will be a Gamecock and yes, UCONN has talent and depth at every position, but only 5 players can be on the floor at once.

ReadR00ster 01-20-2014 07:31 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Well if we get A'ja Wilson I want to see this line up on the floor next year.

PG - Wilson
SG - Welsch
SF - White
PF - Coates
C - Ibiam

OldPat 01-20-2014 07:32 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4065271)
I am very confident A'ja will be a Gamecock and yes, UCONN has talent and depth at every position, but only 5 players can be on the floor at once.

Whatever. Too bloody old to waste my time arguing. LOL.

the_ultimatethrill 01-20-2014 07:57 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
A'ja would not play pg

Luke Skycocker 01-20-2014 07:59 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4065284)
Well if we get A'ja Wilson I want to see this line up on the floor next year.

PG - Wilson
SG - Welsch
SF - White
PF - Coates
C - Ibiam

That's just dumb. Welch will never play 2, White wont ever play 3, Wilson isn't a 1.

Starting the season (assuming we have Wilson) I'd expect to see with starters listed first

PG - Sessions/Cuevas/Davis
SG - Mitchell/Duckett/Roy
SF - Wilson/Dozier/Cliney
PF - Welch/White
C - Coates/Ibiam

TrueCock22 01-20-2014 08:03 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4065301)
That's just dumb. Welch will never play 2, White wont ever play 3, Wilson isn't a 1.

Starting the season (assuming we have Wilson) I'd expect to see with starters listed first

PG - Sessions/Cuevas/Davis
SG - Mitchell/Duckett/Roy
SF - Wilson/Dozier/Cliney
PF - Welch/White
C - Coates/Ibiam

Yeah, I agree this would most likely be the lineup assuming Aja Wilson signs. That is a deep and talented group right there!

Luke Skycocker 01-20-2014 08:24 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Average attendance is now up to 5292 for the season

ReadR00ster 01-21-2014 12:26 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4065301)
That's just dumb. Welch will never play 2, White wont ever play 3, Wilson isn't a 1.

Starting the season (assuming we have Wilson) I'd expect to see with starters listed first

PG - Sessions/Cuevas/Davis
SG - Mitchell/Duckett/Roy
SF - Wilson/Dozier/Cliney
PF - Welch/White
C - Coates/Ibiam

I am not saying they are, I am just saying maybe like once or twice a game they put them all in there. I didn't say that would be our starting line up. That would be our Jumbo package. No one would rebound or get a decent shot off against us. We can pass it over everyone's heads and keep getting offensive rebounds until we get the ball in the basket or they foul. That would be a nightmare for other teams to see those 5 coming out. They would be like what is this? The female Space Jams Monsters team?

Luke Skycocker 01-21-2014 12:48 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4065576)
I am not saying they are, I am just saying maybe like once or twice a game they put them all in there. I didn't say that would be our starting line up. That would be our Jumbo package. No one would rebound or get a decent shot off against us. We can pass it over everyone's heads and keep getting offensive rebounds until we get the ball in the basket or they foul. That would be a nightmare for other teams to see those 5 coming out. They would be like what is this? The female Space Jams Monsters team?

Except you have no ball handling or shooting other than Wilson. And defense would be a nightmare, the bigs would get blown by by the opposing guards. There is a reason that nobody ever does anything like this and its because its stupid

Cockhornleghorn 01-21-2014 01:14 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
I think Wilson wants to play outside, which means she would play the 2 or 3. Can you see a 6'5" SG? Goodness, we would be loaded next season. We might not quite be ready to beat UCONN, but we could give them a heck of a game. We are already much better than I expected this season.

ReadR00ster 01-21-2014 01:15 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4065600)
Except you have no ball handling or shooting other than Wilson. And defense would be a nightmare, the bigs would get blown by by the opposing guards. There is a reason that nobody ever does anything like this and its because its stupid

You don't need ball handling, you just pass the ball over everyone's head. Shooting will be right at the basket. Defense you play zone. The reason why no one does it no one has enough tall of this skill at the same time.

Luke Skycocker 01-21-2014 01:17 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4065628)
You don't need ball handling, you just pass the ball over everyone's head. Shooting will be right at the basket. Defense you play zone. The reason why no one does it no one has enough tall of this skill at the same time.

There's no helping you if you think that its really a viable strategy. You still have to get the ball up the court, teams would press heavy against that lineup. Play zone and they'll penetrate into the middle and kick out and the bigs are too slow to get back out after the zone collapses. Not to mention that the other team would just pack all 5 people around the rim on defense as well. It would not work, period. And you don't think UCONN or Stanford could do this? They definitely could but they just dont because it wont work.

Cockhornleghorn 01-21-2014 01:19 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4065628)
You don't need ball handling, you just pass the ball over everyone's head. Shooting will be right at the basket. Defense you play zone. The reason why no one does it no one has enough tall of this skill at the same time.

It's a nice thought, but you need someone to bring the ball up the court. Passing is all well and good, but long passes often get picked off. I am extremely optimistic that A'ja will be a Gamecock, but even if she's not we will be deep and talented at every position next season. A'ja is a smart woman - she knows if she comes to Carolina we will win a national championship during her tenure.

scfastpitch 01-21-2014 09:42 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
I've seen A'ja play for Heathwood , and watched her play on video for the U19 teamUSA team . As a ball handler , I would rate her similar to Aleighsa Welch . In the high school game I saw , she handled the ball a good bit in transition and some in the half-court . Good ball handler for her size but she is not going to be a point guard in college . For the teamUSA team (coached by Geno ) she played mostly inside and on the high post . She did well there considering she was the youngest player on the team .
In the high school game I saw she took a few 3-pointers and I think made one and maybe missed 2 or 3 . She has a good pull up jumper from around 15 feet and in . Don't think she took any 3-pointers for teamUSA . I think whoever gets Wilson will take advantage of her versatility . She may start at one of the wing spots vs some teams or at the 4 spot vs others . Against a small quick team that likes to spread the floor she might even play a little center .
All these projections on a starting lineup should take into consideration that Tiffany Mitchell played point guard vs Alabama and most likely will vs Vandy (we need Olivia Gaines to chase their little pg around) . Will be interesting to see if TM continues to play pg as the season continues .

OldPat 01-21-2014 04:44 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Think: young Candace Parker.

ReadR00ster 01-21-2014 04:54 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4065633)
It's a nice thought, but you need someone to bring the ball up the court. Passing is all well and good, but long passes often get picked off. I am extremely optimistic that A'ja will be a Gamecock, but even if she's not we will be deep and talented at every position next season. A'ja is a smart woman - she knows if she comes to Carolina we will win a national championship during her tenure.

I've seen Welsh take up the court all the time. Wilson can do it and White is probably the best of those 5 a ball handling. Also, if you keep the ball out the their little guards' reach they CAN'T pick off the pass. It'st just a wrinkle a curve ball, a gimmick. Something to do every once in a while because we can.

Luke Skycocker 01-21-2014 09:03 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4066239)
I've seen Welsh take up the court all the time. Wilson can do it and White is probably the best of those 5 a ball handling. Also, if you keep the ball out the their little guards' reach they CAN'T pick off the pass. It'st just a wrinkle a curve ball, a gimmick. Something to do every once in a while because we can.

Just stop. It's a bad idea and nobody will ever do it.

Cockhornleghorn 01-21-2014 09:25 PM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4066239)
I've seen Welsh take up the court all the time. Wilson can do it and White is probably the best of those 5 a ball handling. Also, if you keep the ball out the their little guards' reach they CAN'T pick off the pass. It'st just a wrinkle a curve ball, a gimmick. Something to do every once in a while because we can.

Welch HAS taken it up the court, but not against a full court press. IF Aleighsa takes it up the court it's usually with no pressure. Big difference.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.