CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread** (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203304)

Cocklover 01-19-2014 10:12 AM

**USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**

Opponent: Alabama (8-9, 1-3 SEC)
Date: Sunday, January 19, 2014, 3 p.m.
Site: Columbia, S.C.
Arena:Colonial Life Arena (18,000)
Tickets: $7 adult, $4 youth (17 and under)
TV: None
Radio: WISW 1320 AM (Brad Muller)
Live Video: GamecocksOnline.com (FREE)
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Series History: SC leads 18-15

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...011814aaa.html

Luke Skycocker 01-19-2014 11:00 AM

Re: **USC Women vs. Alabama GAME Thread**

Alabama isn't very good, I hope we come out and dominate

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 02:53 PM

This should be a W for the lady gamecocks, no doubt.

Cockhornleghorn 01-19-2014 03:28 PM

Carolina by 35.

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 04:47 PM

8 mins in the 1st half... Carolina leading 27-12

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 04:57 PM

Looks like Tiffany Davis is in a lot of pain on the floor.

ReadR00ster 01-19-2014 04:57 PM

I'm impressed with Tina Roy. I think she brings a lot of poise to our team when she is in the game.

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 05:08 PM

Halftime Carolina on top 43-26

Luke Skycocker 01-19-2014 05:28 PM

Handling business like they should against an inferior team

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 05:29 PM

15 mins to go in the 2nd... Carolina up 54-29

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 05:48 PM

7:50 secs to go in the 2nd half. Gamecocks up top 62-38. Total domination.

Luke Skycocker 01-19-2014 05:59 PM

Really fast game

ConwayGamecock 01-19-2014 06:00 PM

We were doing great in 1st half with the turnovers, but we're getting sloppy again in the 2nd half....

ConwayGamecock 01-19-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

GamecockWBB ‏@GamecockWBB 7m 6th-most in program history! RT @GamecocksOnline: Today's @GamecockWBB attendance is 7,440! Thx, fans! Keep #Drivefor5 going. #Gamecocks
All bench reserves into the game now.....

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 06:01 PM

1 min to go Gamecocks leading Alabama 74-49

ConwayGamecock 01-19-2014 06:03 PM

India Farmer hits a 3!

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 06:03 PM

Gamecocks win 77-51

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 06:06 PM

Great win, another SEC victory!

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 06:10 PM

I understand this is women's basketball but this thread is not very active for a team that could potentially win a National Championship.

ReadR00ster 01-19-2014 06:12 PM

Final Four maybe.

ucan'tlickourcocks 01-19-2014 06:33 PM

Nice win Ladies!

17-2, 5-1....... need as many wins as we can get in order to get a high seed come tourny time.....

A&M loss was a tough one...... glad we hand no lingering effects from the loss!
Play in Nashville next Sunday...... so we get a little time to rest and work on a few things before playing Vandy.

Luke Skycocker 01-19-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4064216)
I understand this is women's basketball but this thread is not very active for a team that could potentially win a National Championship.

Home games are less active than road games because fans are at the game and not on here as much. Go look at the A&M thread, it had a ton of posts

Luke Skycocker 01-19-2014 06:58 PM

6th highest attendance ever today!

ConwayGamecock 01-19-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

IMO this team doesn't have the potential to win a NC...too many other teams out there like UCONN, Duke, ND, Stanford that just have too many veteran bluechip players. Our players still are struggling a bit in believing how talented they are: they are too inconsistent, too sloppy with the ball, and miss too many shots at the basket yet to truly threaten those teams.

It IS however a team that's fully capable of winning the SEC and reaching the Final Four IMO, but even then unless they focus better on ball control and clean up those rough spots, they could also miss out on those.

Now, NEXT YEAR: with all the primary players from this season returning, and with the three 5* players we'll have coming into the program, I could definitely see the team rise up to NC-contending caliber. Also especially if we get Wilson to join up as well, although IMO she's not necessarily needed for the talent of the team to be a NC-contender. She could however be needed to get the team over the top...

Just look at how well Welch, Mitchell, and Coates have been playing this season: that's 5*-caliber play. Ibiam has also had 5* moments, but it's inconsistent and she fouls too much which hinders her. Then imagine an entire starting 5 next of players playing at that level, with White, Duckett, and Cuevas added to the mix. That would actually be 6 players, with a 7th in Ibiam rising to the occasion from time to time. Rotating in a Ibiam/Coates/White at the post with Welch at F, and rotating Mitchell/Duckett/Cuevas at G would be a team that could look any other in the nation in the eye, IMO....

Of course, that would be for just one season in Welch and Ibiam's cases. But the future definitely looks fantastic...

Spurrier_Superior_One 01-19-2014 07:03 PM

A good rebound win after a close loss.

Cockhornleghorn 01-19-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4064206)
Really fast game

Not many fouls called today.

Cockhornleghorn 01-19-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

A lot of the people who would normally post in these threads were at the game. Look at the road game threads and they have a lot more posts.

U-Dub Gamecock 01-19-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Not as many people on here on a Sunday... Good win!

the_ultimatethrill 01-19-2014 07:19 PM

Game next Sunday will be a big test Vandy playing about as well as anyone right now.

scfastpitch 01-19-2014 07:27 PM

Interesting starting lineup today , with Tiffany Mitchell starting at point guard for the first time and Olivia Gaines getting her first start at one of the wing spots . It worked well today , but Alabama isn't much of a pressing team . It will be interesting to see if we go with the same starting lineup vs Vandy .

Gamecocks1137 01-19-2014 07:52 PM

Anyone heard any news on Tiffany Davis's injury? She got hurt in the 1st half, looked like she was holding her elbow/shoulder.

scfastpitch 01-19-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4064289)
Anyone heard any news on Tiffany Davis's injury? She got hurt in the 1st half, looked like she was holding her elbow/shoulder.

I think it was the same shoulder she hurt earlier in the season . They think she will be ok by next game (next Sunday) .

M.C. 01-19-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

i guess you missed the past few then

baitandswitch 01-19-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

The people that usually post during away games actually go to these games. Look at the away game threads.

Cockhornleghorn 01-19-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4064289)

After the game she had her left arm in a slit, but it might have just been precautionary. I heard her tell Dawn when they were helping her off the court that she was ok.

scfastpitch 01-19-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4064504)
After the game she had her left arm in a slit, but it might have just been precautionary. I heard her tell Dawn when they were helping her off the court that she was ok.

That sounds like TD . Last season , when they were carrying her off the court after she tore her ACL , as they went by the bench she said " Coach , I'll be at practice tomorrow ."

4gamecockfb 01-20-2014 12:00 AM

Go ladies. Hope the men's team can follow they're example

OldPat 01-20-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock (Post 4064249)
IMO this team doesn't have the potential to win a NC...too many other teams out there like UCONN, Duke, ND, Stanford that just have too many veteran bluechip players. Our players still are struggling a bit in believing how talented they are: they are too inconsistent, too sloppy with the ball, and miss too many shots at the basket yet to truly threaten those teams.

It IS however a team that's fully capable of winning the SEC and reaching the Final Four IMO, but even then unless they focus better on ball control and clean up those rough spots, they could also miss out on those.

Now, NEXT YEAR: with all the primary players from this season returning, and with the three 5* players we'll have coming into the program, I could definitely see the team rise up to NC-contending caliber. Also especially if we get Wilson to join up as well, although IMO she's not necessarily needed for the talent of the team to be a NC-contender. She could however be needed to get the team over the top...

Just look at how well Welch, Mitchell, and Coates have been playing this season: that's 5*-caliber play. Ibiam has also had 5* moments, but it's inconsistent and she fouls too much which hinders her. Then imagine an entire starting 5 next of players playing at that level, with White, Duckett, and Cuevas added to the mix. That would actually be 6 players, with a 7th in Ibiam rising to the occasion from time to time. Rotating in a Ibiam/Coates/White at the post with Welch at F, and rotating Mitchell/Duckett/Cuevas at G would be a team that could look any other in the nation in the eye, IMO....

Of course, that would be for just one season in Welch and Ibiam's cases. But the future definitely looks fantastic...

THIS YEAR
CG, pretty much agree with your assessment IF the Ladies get it together; IF NOT, first or second round, we could be gone. They're still very much a work-in-progress, but we need experience competing in and winning big games.

NEXT 3 YRS(including this one)
You are grossly underestimating UCONN's current & returning talent and Geno's coaching/recruiting ability. Stewart is the best college player today, and she's just a soph. Indeed, three UCONN players(all sophs) started & starred for the US 19&Under team that won the Worlds this past summer. Yep, the same team on which A'ja was the first sub off the bench.

If UCONN gets A'ja, it will be a continuation of Snow White & the Dwarfs with UCONN playing the lead. Period. Paragraph.

If USC gets A'ja, give this years class a year to grow up, and we will be able to compete with UCONN for WBB supremacy. Note I said compete, not automatically win. Rest assured UCONN isn't going anywhere until Geno decides to hang it up. But, like you, I've been playing around with different lineups too. Guess Dawn will have to sue us. LOL.

Cockhornleghorn 01-20-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPat (Post 4064630)
THIS YEAR
CG, pretty much agree with your assessment IF the Ladies get it together; IF NOT, first or second round, we could be gone. They're still very much a work-in-progress, but we need experience competing in and winning big games.

NEXT 3 YRS(including this one)
You are grossly underestimating UCONN's current & returning talent and Geno's coaching/recruiting ability. Stewart is the best college player today, and she's just a soph. Indeed, three UCONN players(all sophs) started & starred for the US 19&Under team that won the Worlds this past summer. Yep, the same team on which A'ja was the first sub off the bench.

If UCONN gets A'ja, it will be a continuation of Snow White & the Dwarfs with UCONN playing the lead. Period. Paragraph.

If USC gets A'ja, give this years class a year to grow up, and we will be able to compete with UCONN for WBB supremacy. Note I said compete, not automatically win. Rest assured UCONN isn't going anywhere until Geno decides to hang it up. But, like you, I've been playing around with different lineups too. Guess Dawn will have to sue us. LOL.

Geno is already 60 so he won't be coaching forever. Also, I think UCONN will eventually be hurt by their conference affiliation.

OldPat 01-20-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4064638)
Geno is already 60 so he won't be coaching forever. Also, I think UCONN will eventually be hurt by their conference affiliation.

Maybe, maybe not. Geno's an exceptionally competitive person. I suspect that he wants to break a few more of Pat's records in order to solidify his position as the best WBB coach ever.

Have you seen a typical UCONN OOC schedule? It would kill any other team. They beat top-ten teams like we beat Bama today with regularity. That's the difference between our two programs right now. Next order of business to catch them: SIGN A'JA.