CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Slive Threatens with Forming Division IV (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=206908)

ReadR00ster 08-09-2014 05:02 PM

Re: Slive Threatens with Forming Division IV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody7687 (Post 4174475)
You are the reason this country is what it is and my generation will have to pay for it. SS will be broke, your ass will be old an dilapidated and I the young tax payer will pay for that. We are paying for the sins of our fathers now. So enough with the entitlement generation bull crap. Good for you that you slaved in college to go in the Air Force a govt job paid for by us young tax payers. I'm sure you are going to retire with your big fluffy govt pension too huh. Don't give me that bull crap. You are the biggest whiner I have ever seen, just because my generation didn't walk uphill both ways to school doesn't make you superior. Get over yourself. Geez

"sins of the fathers" lol! Gimme a freaking break. They're getting free college education and spending money on top of it. And they get to play college sports. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them to play for "so little." You people talk like the NCAA is some sweatshop owner. It's ridiculous.

Talking straight up. The Power 5 still wants to keep college sports an amateur league. And they can and I expect they will. It's just that they are willing and able to do a little more than what the NCAA permits. The NCAA won't permit it because it is not fair to those that can't afford to do it. That is why these talks of autonomy and Div VI are happening. They want to give student-athletes more stipend money. Given them all insurance and health care. It's not pay-for-play it's just additional benefits for being a student athletes. Maybe even increase the scholarship limits.

The Power 5 conferences are not trying to kill the concept of the "student-athlete." They are trying to save it.

Goofyboy 08-09-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4171185)
I think they are all trying to ruin college football. I can remember the days when college student athletes were actually student athletes and used athletics as a way to get an education instead of just using college as a way to play ball and go to the pros. But money talks and thats what its all about.

Man, you must be old. I was born in 1947, and my friends playing college football either wanted to play because they wanted to play and be heroes, wanted a shot at pro football, and thirdly wanted a degree. I know fewer than 1/2 graduated before they ran out of scholarship, and many dropped out after 1-2 years. In my high school, a lot of the good athletes from lower-income working families never graduated but followed their parents into the textile and furniture mills. Times have changed. Apparently our glowing memories of the past just won't let us.

TAFC 5 1981 08-09-2014 05:20 PM

More money doesn't always make things better (see US Government, NASCAR, etc.). Whatever is done really needs to be thought out.

ReadR00ster 08-09-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4221194)
Man, you must be old. I was born in 1947, and my friends playing college football either wanted to play because they wanted to play and be heroes, wanted a shot at pro football, and thirdly wanted a degree. I know fewer than 1/2 graduated before they ran out of scholarship, and many dropped out after 1-2 years. In my high school, a lot of the good athletes from lower-income working families never graduated but followed their parents into the textile and furniture mills. Times have changed. Apparently our glowing memories of the past just won't let us.

Times have change, because more people want that degree now than then. In fact most still are playing for those exact reasons today. None of them ever had any notions of being paid to play college football until the media had recently started filling their heads with the idea of it.

Senior Rooster 08-11-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4170842)
Universities and appearently the student athletes will be subject to taxes, so go ahead and break away and form your unions and get slapped with taxes and union fees. These geniuses will be crawling back on their stomach begging forgiveness from the NCAA. Like Dabo said not considering a college education as proper compensation devalues a college education.

The big 5 conferences could seek an IRC 501(c)(3) exemption same as the NCAA's. They could do this individually or as a new consolidated group.

Senior Rooster 08-11-2014 08:47 PM

IRC 501(c) (6) or 501(c)(3) would give the Big 5 the same protections as the NCAA. You are correct "CCURED"!