CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Hall of Fame (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/4/11 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=150278)

Spurticus 08-04-2011 11:05 PM

Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/4/11

Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/4/11

I’d like to announce that the reports of Alshon Jeffery’s pregnancy were greatly exaggerated.
Alshon was back on the field tonight and with the exception of one dropped pass, he was very much in game form and hid his beer gut and man boobs well. The practice tonight wasn’t quite as sharp as it was last night, but still the team seemed to be having fun and kept the practice upbeat and energetic. There were a couple of freshman players who continued to stand out for a second day, the most visible of course continues to be Jadeveon Clowney. He put on another outstanding show for the crowd tonight and at times you could tell he was basically pulling up right at the end of the play instead of grabbing the QB and ending the play. Once again he was working against Will Sport for the majority of the time, but there were a few reps when the coaches lined him up against our starting Left Tackle Kyle Nunn and results were basically the same. JC is a machine when he’s in the lineup and just finds his way to the man with the ball. It’s going to be fun watching this guy play and develop over the next 3 or 4 months.
For the most part the biggest drop off as a unit from last night’s practice came from the WRs. There were way too many dropped of missed passes that were catchable and several throughout the night that were right in the hands of the receivers. Jason Barnes is fighting it right now and had a second straight day of sub par performance as a receiver. When Alshon Jeffery misses a pass that hits his hands, you know there is something in the air. Still, even with the rash of missed or dropped passes there were some standout performances turned it by our Wide Outs. For the second night in a row, Demeire Byrd raised a lot of eyebrows with his speed continuously beating the defenders and getting behind them. Not only was he beating the defenders, but he made a couple of outstanding catches in tight coverage as well. Reminds me a lot of a polished Kenny McKinley with more speed. Ace Sanders also had another solid practice. He doesn’t really use his speed to blow by defenders, but rather turns on the after burners after bringing in passes like WR Screens or Shallow crossing routes. It is setting up a lot of nice options in our passing game to get a lot of good yardage underneath as well as over the top. Drew Owens continues to impress as well. I watched him work with the O/line during drills early on tonight and my honest opinion is that he is going to have a little work to do as a blocking TE. Didn’t look bad, but wasn’t really making Coach Elliot happy during those drills. Right now I can see us using Drew in a “Jared Cook” kind of line up almost as another wide out in passing downs, but to be a full time TE he will need to work on his blocking skills. Again, not that bad, but not at the same level right now that Justice Cunningham is on.
The Quarterbacks weren’t near as sharp tonight as they were yesterday, but neither were making in glaring mistakes. Connor Shaw started out smoking in the one on ones, and started out in the skels hot too, but started to fall off a lot towards the later part of skels. Stephen Garcia didn’t have a great performance tonight either, but did some nice things and was basically “Level” throughout the practice. A lot of the bad looking play however was due to the number of dropped balls. Shaw and Garcia both got picked tonight, both off of nice defensive plays. Garcia’s came during the Skels when his primary receiver was covered and he had to move in the pocket some. He looked underneath to Marcus as a checkdown receiver but Antonio Allen was reading Garcia most of the play. As soon as Garcia locked on Marcus, Antonio jumped the routed and made a clean pick in front of Lattimore. Shaw’s came early in the 11 on 11 when Coach Spurrier tired to take advantage of Shaw’s previous two deep completions. He called a deep post route to Demeire Byrd who got behind Stephon Gilmore early in the route, but as soon as Shaw released the pass, Stephon closed on it quickly and went up over Byrd to make the interception. Nice looking play by Gilmore who needs that kind of play to put the previous season’s woes behind him. Shaw’s best performances came in the one on one when he got Byrd up the right sideline deep and launched a 30 yard bomb, that Byrd went up and got away from the defender who had decent coverage on the play. That play got a loud round of applause from the crowd. later in the Skels, Shaw fired another 30+ yard pass on a straight fly route to Alshon Jeffery who went up over Vic Hampton and made the catch. Shaw got that one off with Clowney bearing down on him. Garcia’s best play tonight was on an out and up on the right sideline to Bruce Ellington. The pass and catch looked very similar to the pass Garcia threw to Carson last night on the Circle Route. Garcia threw the ball with some touch to a spot just inside the sideline, and Bruce caught it and never broke stride for a very nice pick up of 30+. One other nice play that comes to mind, was a nice deep ball thrown to DeAngelo Smith on a straight fly route by Tanner McEvoy. unquestionably Tanner’s best pass of the past two days.

During the 11 on 11 after a few rounds of passes by all the QBs, the guys worked mostly on the ground attack and shorter pass routes like WR screens and checkdowns. Tanner was picked on one of his shorter routes here, but I can’t remember what DB / LB picked the ball off. It was a nice diving interception of a low thrown ball. Marcus Lattimore looked good tonight both running the ball, and catching out of the backfield, as did Brandon Wilds for the second straight night. Eric Baker was used a lot tonight in the shorter passing work, catching a couple of shallow crossing routes and screen passes.

During the 11 on 11 the intensity level for the coaches seemed to pick up when Jadeveon started ending plays before the QBs could set up and throw. Shawn Elliot started getting hot at the O/linemen that were being beaten by JC, and his voice started getting louder. At one point in the practice, Kaleb Broome got a procedure call by coming up early, and Coach Elliot exploded ! He ran over to Broome and pulled him out of the lineup and continued to chew on him for the next two plays. This seemed to light a fire under coach Lawing who got after Cory Robinson on the next play for being out of position and letting Kenny Miles gain about 10 on the play. It was kind of like dueling butt chewings.

Not a bad practice at all again for the second night, but wasn’t quite as “crisp” as the practice was last night. Still it was a better performance by the team than most of our early practices seem to be. If this was an “off” night, we have made a lot of improvements over the past couple of years. The practice ended tonight with a chuckle. On the last play of the practice, Andrew Clifford threw a short Out pattern to (think it was) Drew Owens on the left side. Damario Jeffery broke on the route and made an attempt at a diving interception but Owens was able to grab the ball away and spin upfield and would have still been running had the coaches not blown the whistle to stop the play and end the practice. Jeffery was getting to his knees to get up right in front of where I was standing. Coach Elliot ran over to him and yelled at him “Nice Try SUCKER” !

Later guys

c-girl 08-04-2011 11:13 PM

Re: Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/4/11

great report as always!

I love that we have Coach Elliot - he has really raised the bar for our OL guys!

William Brice 08-04-2011 11:17 PM

Well done as usual!

scrub146 08-04-2011 11:20 PM

Thanks again!

War Rooster 08-04-2011 11:21 PM

Another great report, Spurt. Thanks!

Sounds like even on an "off night" we've got some major successes at the WR position. I know it's super-early, but if look into your crystal ball, I wonder who you see as winning the starting WR positions in: 2-wide, 3-wide, 4-wide, and 5-wide sets?

CockyBoiler 08-04-2011 11:21 PM

awesome post as usual! Very exciting that JC has been so dominant so early. It makes me worry a bit about our o-line tho. That being said, we will see much more when the pads go on

CanadianCock 08-04-2011 11:21 PM

Another excellent report Spurticus...thank you!!!

Truly Cocky 08-04-2011 11:21 PM

Shawn Elliott is the most entertaining offensive line coach.

And oh my goodness at clowney, he's going to be unreal

Renegade68 08-04-2011 11:21 PM

So when do the pads go on?

c-girl 08-04-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade68 (Post 2769283)

"ScottHood63: Probably Sunday. 2 days w/ shells on Fri and Sat @brentsilvia Any idea of first night they will put the pads on?"

c-girl 08-04-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyBoiler (Post 2769280)
awesome post as usual! Very exciting that JC has been so dominant so early. It makes me worry a bit about our o-line tho. That being said, we will see much more when the pads go on

it will only make them better over the next few weeks...

Renegade68 08-04-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-girl (Post 2769287)
"ScottHood63: Probably Sunday. 2 days w/ shells on Fri and Sat @brentsilvia Any idea of first night they will put the pads on?"

Thanks.

snoopcockycock 08-04-2011 11:29 PM

glad to hear the good practices continue. gotta love all this speed. haven't heard too much about carson, other than the wheel route yesterday. how is he looking overall? also would love to know what cooper is looking like? finally, any opinions about having jeffery and holloman in the forward positions? thanks again spurt.

CockOla 08-04-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Tomorrow or SAT I pray!

CockOla 08-04-2011 11:35 PM

Spurt is second to none! Thanks for another great one...Go Cocks!!!

NotKyle 08-04-2011 11:37 PM

Spurticus, please stop talking about Clowney in your reports. I'm not sure I can handle the excitement anymore.

Spurticus 08-04-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Rooster (Post 2769279)
Another great report, Spurt. Thanks!

Sounds like even on an "off night" we've got some major successes at the WR position. I know it's super-early, but if look into your crystal ball, I wonder who you see as winning the starting WR positions in: 2-wide, 3-wide, 4-wide, and 5-wide sets?

I was thinking pre practice Alshon, DL and Ace. Right now (with two days
viewing), I think DL is falling behind. There was some talk that Barnes might
end up winning the position but at this point, unless he has lights out
performances over the next week or two, Barnes is slipping back into
Sub third unit territory. Not sure what's going on there but he's having
some major problems holding onto passes. . . . I'd say right now, A Jeff,
and Ace are locks. I'd say Byrd as a third, but they are working with
Byrd in the same position as Ace (slot), so either one would have to
move to DLs spot and take him out of the lineup for them both to get
in as starters. . . . It's a nice discussion to have when you've got that
kind of talent deep enough to try to get all the Good players on the field
at the same time.

My best guess is still AJ, DL and Ace, with a LOT of PT from guys like
Damerie, DeAngelo and Bruce Ellington (although, he was written in
as a Slot guy too by the coaches this winter) . . . Who knows.

Spurticus 08-04-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truly Cocky (Post 2769282)
Shawn Elliott is the most entertaining offensive line coach.

And oh my goodness at clowney, he's going to be unreal

I love that man's enthusiasm and his "Fire". I think it's what we've needed
in an offensive line coach here for the past decade. He and Coach Fitz
have brought this unit back to life.

Spurticus 08-04-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Not sure. There hasn't been an Official Schedule released of practices that
I'm aware of so it's day to day. Usually they go at least one day in
Shoulder pads before putting on the full gear. I'd say early next week.
they sould put on the pads and start rumbling.

Spurticus 08-04-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopcockycock (Post 2769293)
glad to hear the good practices continue. gotta love all this speed. haven't heard too much about carson, other than the wheel route yesterday. how is he looking overall? also would love to know what cooper is looking like? finally, any opinions about having jeffery and holloman in the forward positions? thanks again spurt.

It's everywhere so far this fall. Speed in the backfield with the addition of
Carson and Wilds, Speed at WR with Ace, Shamire and Byrd, and Speed on the
Defensive line and backfield !! Fastest this team has looked in a LONG time.
I'm lovin what this team looks like right now. AND . . . we lose a lot this
year, but we should be able to Red Shirt a lot of these talented freshmen
and with the way our recruiting is going right now, I see this thing only
getting better over the next three/four years. That's my hope. Not just
to get to the SEC Title, but to be one of the favorites to win it or at least
in the discussion for the next several years. I don't just want get there,
I want to keep going there.