CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Silly Question About Cooking Rice (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=162191)

Stillwearingmyjoehat 12-27-2011 04:16 PM

Silly Question About Cooking Rice

Does anyone know how the southern BBQ joints prepare that perfect rice they serve on buffets?

Each grain is perfectly prepared, nothing is sticky and the consistency is always exactly the same.

When I prepare instant rice it usually comes out close but not exact but any time I try to make "real" rice it never achieves the same level of perfection. Whether white or brown rice, I've never got it just the way these restaurants do and what's more is they do it several pounds of rice at once.

What is the secret?

IslandCock 12-27-2011 04:18 PM

Re: Silly Question About Cooking Rice

Use a rice steamer. Maybe google Charleston Rice Steamer and come up with some places to buy one.

The Yancey 12-27-2011 05:09 PM

"Perfect" various from person to person and use to use. When making sushi you want a sticky rice that holds together. For that you would use japonica rice. For an Italian risotta you want a creamy rice, an arborio. Remember the commercials about "Mahatma or Water maid, one is right for you?" The difference is in length of the grains. Mahatma is long grain and Water Maid is medium. Short and medium grain rices are more sticky. It sound like that is not what you want. I suggest that you start then by buying the longest grain rice that you can find. Secondly, the one most effective technique to making a rice that presents itself as individual grains is to rinse the rice thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer before cooking. Note the cloudy water as the external starch washes away. That is what has been binding your rice. There you have it. Buy non sticky long grain rice and rinse it very well. Of course it goes without saying not to remove the pot's lid and stir the rice while cooking and to NEVER use any utensil except a fork to fluff it.

BigSpur 12-27-2011 05:26 PM

Rinse the rice first, drain. Boil water (two cups to each cup of rice), add rice cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Its important not to remove the cover during the cook time. Remove from heat, uncover and let rest for a few minutes. Fluff and serve.

JohnnyB21 12-27-2011 05:47 PM

I worked at Maurices for a WHILE. We used a steamer on our buffet.

ColaCock 12-27-2011 10:13 PM

Ain't gonna lie, of all things...rice is hard to cook- for a lot of people.

Use a rice cooker.

2000grad 12-27-2011 10:28 PM

Rinse and soak the rice. The older it is, the longer you soak it. Drain after

Use the correct amount of water. When you cook the rice, you don't want a bunch of water left in the pot. A good rule of thumb for long grain rice is 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups water per cup of rice. If you use a short grain rice, it requires a little less.

Use a good heavy-based pot with a lid that fits tightly in order to keep the steam in.

After about 11-13 minutes, let the rice sit for anywhere from 5-30 minutes to soak in the moisture. This really does help.

Or...use a rice cooker

FanofCarolina1 12-27-2011 10:33 PM

:thumbsup: Yet another thing I have learned from Cockytalk!!! Thanks fellas!!

Coulwoodwarlord 12-27-2011 10:36 PM

Wash the rice ! Until the water becomes clear. You have then removed most of the starch. End of story !

ColaCock 12-27-2011 10:37 PM

I have come to a point of where I can cook rice with good results...but every time, there is always a little at the bottom that gets stuck, gets hard/burnt, and isn't really usable.

I don't cook a lot at one time, so it is kind of aggravating...unless I am making a bunch to chill it for fried rice.

HardRockCock 12-28-2011 01:04 AM

Ancient Cinese secret, Use "Par Boiled" rice such as Uncle Ben's (it comes already par boiled). Par Boiled rice comes out perfect everytime, each grain seperate.

ra742002 03-14-2012 01:04 PM

we cooked a mess of rice this past weekend at an Archery Tournament to go with some BBQ hash we made. We always use par-boiled, and it turns out really well. Now, I'm talking 20-30 cups of rice, but it is very good, and goes well with the hash.

cocky0 03-16-2012 07:22 AM

In addition to the steps mentioned above, and as an alternative to buying a rice cooker, try baking your rice. I get a nice earthenware baking dish with a lid, mix two parts hot water or broth to one part rice and salt and pepper to taste. Slap on the lid and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so. (Time varies depending on how much rice you make.)

Once it's done, pop it out of the oven, remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and let it sit for a few minutes before enjoying.

(And you'll say goodbye to scraping burnt rice from the bottom of your pots.)

The Yancey 03-16-2012 12:34 PM

Rice cookers are very cheap and fool proof. They can cook any kind of rice, even non rice things like wheat berries and faro too.