CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   More negative press for Alshon (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=165921)

GTjacketcock 02-22-2012 04:31 PM

More negative press for Alshon

After all the scrutiny he has gotten, I hope he comes out at the combine and outperforms every other wide receiver. Not only that, this article states that he is a senior not a junior.

Is Alshon Jeffery in shape for the combine?

Garnet Gamecock 02-22-2012 04:39 PM

Re: More negative press for Alshon

We all love Alshon, but the fact is that he had a real problem with separation in several games.

...And many of us were concerned about his weight.

It wasn't just the uniforms being tight by design...

Let's face it, his picture in Sports Illustrated probably caused his stock to drop. He looked like he was carrying a spare tire.

We all know what he is capable of and we wish him well, but the comments in that article are not groundless.

Whoever has the foresight to select him will reap a huge reward...

eaglegolf018 02-22-2012 04:45 PM

I don't care about what the media says to be honest. And neither do the scouts. Alshon has 2 real opportunities to shut them up. But it's all money right now. Somebody will draft him. And he will be fine.

gamecockphan 02-22-2012 04:56 PM

This is encouraging...

Quote:

"Oh yeah, Alshon's in good shape," said Bethune-Cookman outside linebacker-defensive end Ryan Davis, who's been training with Jeffery in Florida. "He's looking very good out there. He's going to turn a lot of heads. He's a big receiver, but he's not fat. I laugh when I see that on TV. He's been smirking. I bet he runs a 4.5. He's way down in his weight. He's between 217 and 220 right now."

eaglegolf018 02-22-2012 05:09 PM

^^^ Ha. Bull. I don't believe someone that's actually been there. I'll believe someone that has "sources" instead.

75CarolinaFan 02-22-2012 05:17 PM

Any teams that pass on him will regret it. I've never felt as sure about one of our players being a great NFL player as I do about Alshon.

Not that the draft experts should care what I think.:lol: But I'm excited to watch his NFL career unfold.

Goofyboy 02-22-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

We all love Alshon, but the fact is that he had a real problem with separation in several games.
Not a fact. An opinion that overlooks a number of factors, including our play orientation, 2-deep coverages, and a lot of film that shows hom open and not thrown to or just plain missed.

LimpCock 02-22-2012 05:23 PM

220? doubt it.. not that it matters though

BeatBamaTwice 02-22-2012 05:23 PM

'

http://www.whyquit.com/John/KiffinPumping.jpg

I suspect Alshon will shine just fine!

Steeler7588 02-22-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 (Post 3097980)
Somebody will draft him. And he will be fine.

This is really all it comes down to. Alshon's always had questions about his speed, and people talked about his weight this year. But the guy just makes plays when you need him to and can get him the ball. He's going to do fine no matter where he ends up.

75CarolinaFan 02-22-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 3098029)
Not a fact. An opinion that overlooks a number of factors, including our play orientation, 2-deep coverages, and a lot of film that shows hom open and not thrown to or just plain missed.

And the fact that he thrives on catching the ball with defenders hanging all over him. He's like Michael Irvin in that I think he prefers the defender to be on him because he knows when they both go up for the ball he's got more body control and is less likely to get knocked off balance. We've seen it from him time after time against the best DBs in the SEC or the country for that matter. Whether they played for Bama, Florida, Georgia, the guy for Nebraska, FSU whoever, he always looked like a man amongst boys. The Bama guy had one of his arms pinned and he said "fock it" I'll catch it with one hand.

He's going to be a great player. Can't wait to see it.

Garnet Gamecock 02-22-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 3098029)

I can also show you a significant amount of film where he didn't get off the line and gave up.

Emery 02-22-2012 06:21 PM

Rumors may start for stupid reasons, but when one gets this much attention and legs then where there is smoke, there's fire.

He's fortunate for the combine and has every chance to increase his stock. If he is in shape then prove it, if not then it will be shown too.

Metalrush24 02-22-2012 06:28 PM

Alright.. Alshon obviously didn't have the same year as last year and basically had an identical year to his freshman year

Having said that, he was still relatively on pace this year with last year in terms of receptions/yards so statistically it's not fair to say he had a bad year.. granted, you could argue the lack of receptions is because he wasn't open but let's be honest, we had to change a major part of our offense in losing both Garcia AND Lattimore. I believe this is what had a major portion to do with the year he had. Was he in tip-top shape? I don't know, maybe not, but he still did his job no matter what. Miss State, Tenn., Arky, and Florida are the only games this year he was averaging less than 10 ypc.. and it memory serves a lot of the receptions he got in those games were screens so that probably had a bit to do with it.

Too many base their opinion on one dang picture and assume "oh, well he's just a lazy,fat, unmotivated player" to which I have to say, do you really think our S&C coaches would let him get that far out of shape? I don't. Granted, they can only do so much, but come on..

Did he get the separation that is generally ideal with today's WO's? Probably not; however, he is not a speedster like.. Mike Wallace for example.. but I don't remember him ever really being one to begin with. How soon we forget that he was in New York last year up for the Biletnikoff, now all these "couch scouts" want to downgrade his potential because of what they WANT to find wrong rather than the production and situational variables.

Just my take on it..

FanofCarolina1 02-22-2012 08:12 PM

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/090...n-indianapolis

More news on Alshon.

GamecockInHell 02-22-2012 08:23 PM

Tori Gurley's leaving early hurt Alson more than anything else. Without Gurley, no one else stepped up opposite Alson and he got hammered with coverages all year. And unlike Garica, Shaw did not have enough belief in Alshon to throw the ball even when he was covered. Maybe it made Shaw a better QB than Garcia, but it hurt Alshon's numbers.
And there is no doubt that Alshon showed up in the fall toting some extra weight across the middle. But in his defense, he did look like a different guy in the bowl game. Too bad that punk Pellini sacrificed his own guy to get rid of him.

cock13 02-22-2012 08:29 PM

I doubt this will hurt Alshon too much. Hell, Dez Bryant's mom turned tricks and he still got picked in round 1

FanofCarolina1 02-22-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cock13 (Post 3098184)
I doubt this will hurt Alshon too much. Hell, Dez Bryant's mom turned tricks and he still got picked in round 1

:lol:

Yeah, hopefully scouts will really know how good he is without the bullsh*t remarks from the so-called professional analysts.

Ohh, and hopefully Alshon's mom won't have to turn any tricks either!

Garnet girl 02-23-2012 12:38 AM

I agree about Gurley. The two of them standing on the field was intimidating.
Alshon will make us proud. He is all about the team and not just Alshon. I am hoping he goes to the Patriots. they need a tall guy to help out Welker, one of my favorite players in the NFL. Maybe Alshon can buy a gas station near Kiffen's home after he gets rich. That way, Kiffen's can fill up with gas everyday.

b381l 02-23-2012 12:59 AM

Alshon's biggest problem this year......no QB that could throw him the ball on a consistent basis........not his fault. Alshon is at least as good as Sidney. When Rice had a good QB to throw him the ball, he put up really good numbers.