CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Move Shaw to WR for senior season (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=186241)

Gamecock History 01-04-2013 11:08 AM

Move Shaw to WR for senior season

Here are the reasons why:

1. Improve his NFL draft potential. He does not have the size or arm strength (velocity, not distance) to be an NFL QB.
2. He played WR his entire life up until his JR? year of high school.
3. We have a lack of WR production outside of Ace and Bruce.
4. Very similar to McKinnley: former high school QB, tough as nails, high football IQ, shifty, quick but not a burner
5. He will probably miss spring practice.
6. It would put more play makers on the field at one time: Thompson, Shaw, Sanders, and Ellington
7. He would still be available to slide over to QB and run the zone read play 4 or 5 times a game like he has been doing.

CoverTwo 01-04-2013 11:09 AM

Re: Move Shaw to WR for senior season

It takes guys we recruit for receiver at least 2 years to get ready to play, and Connor Shaw is going to get reps after ONE Fall practice? Highly unlikely. Plus what spot is he going to play? He won't start at any of the 3 spots.

Wow.

CockyBoiler 01-04-2013 11:14 AM

nothing to see here

LegalCock 01-04-2013 11:14 AM

The offseason has officially started.

Spurticus 01-04-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Move Shaw to WR for senior season
No

FloydTheBarber 01-04-2013 11:18 AM

Free post!

Roosterboy 01-04-2013 11:19 AM

No.
Instead, have two capable QBs we can interchange.
We finally have QB depth and you want to blow it up.

cofcgamecock9 01-04-2013 11:21 AM

Wow, we have a player that is 17-3 as a starter and just finished the season ranked 9th in the COUNTRY in passing efficiency and you want to change his position? All I can say is wow.

Dylan may end up being the starter next year. Spurrier will get that decision and they both have proven they deserve a shot. But last time I checked, you need more than one person at each position.

Gamecock History 01-04-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 3623742)
It takes guys we recruit for receiver at least 2 years to get ready to play, and Connor Shaw is going to get reps after ONE Fall practice? Highly unlikely. Plus what spot is he going to play? He won't start at any of the 3 spots.

Wow.

I think Shaw probably has a pretty good understanding of the playbook and where he would need to line up at any receiver spot on the field. He is a film room junkie and super high football IQ. If Bruce can play 2 sports and figure it out I think Shaw wouldn't have any problem. I think he is the 2nd best athlete on the field behind Clowney.

You don't think he would start at any of the 3 spots??? Who in the world is our 3rd WR after Bruce and Ace? And I think he would probably be the best of the 3 by mid-season in my opinion.

JTsecSC 01-04-2013 11:23 AM

The only qb This season to throw for 200+ on a top 10 defense in UM? SWITCH HIM NOW!!!

uscsec 01-04-2013 11:25 AM

HELL NO!!!!! WTF is wrong with people?

Gamecock History 01-04-2013 11:25 AM

We WILL run a 2 QB system next year, no doubt about it. Spurrier isn't going to let Thompson sit on the sidelines now knowing what he can do when Shaw isn't connecting on passes. So why not have them both on the field at the same time and still have the ability to let Shaw take snaps at QB in certain situations.

In other words, have Shaw cross-trained at 2 positions so that he is not sitting on the bench when Thompson is in at QB.

Of course all of this is if Nosovitch is ready and capable to step in if need be.

CoverTwo 01-04-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock History (Post 3623764)
I think Shaw probably has a pretty good understanding of the playbook and where he would need to line up at any receiver spot on the field. He is a film room junkie and super high football IQ. If Bruce can play 2 sports and figure it out I think Shaw wouldn't have any problem. I think he is the 2nd best athlete on the field behind Clowney.

You don't think he would start at any of the 3 spots??? Who in the world is our 3rd WR after Bruce and Ace? And I think he would probably be the best of the 3 by mid-season in my opinion.

Its not just understanding the playbook. Its understanding route running concepts and coverages, its knowing what spot to be on the field. Receiver in Coach Spurrier's offense isn't something you just hit the ground and run. It takes time, A LOT of time to get to a point where you play without thinking about where to go.

And HELL NO he wouldn't start at any of the 3 spots. Ace and Bruce have the starting X and Z spots locked down and Nick Jones will be the starting B with Kwinton Smith likely to get into a timeshare there. Shaw wouldn't play the B, he would likely be a Z and we have a logjam there.

If Connor Shaw is the 3rd best receiver on our team (which he is not), we have major issues.

Spurticus 01-04-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock History (Post 3623764)

Who would be the #2 QB behind Thompson if you move Shaw to WR ?
A Redshirt Freshman with NO game experiance, or a True and Untested
Freshman ? ... Before you answer that, remember all the noise that
came out of workouts about how Great Tanner McEvoy was doing.

You want to put our starting QB with a 17-3 record as a starter at WR
(a position he hasn't played since his Jr Year in High School), lose
valuable reps and study time as a QB, then back up Thompson with two
untested Freshmen ?

Sorry ..... We are in the best position at QB in my lifetime as a Gamecock
fan (and that's a long time). Destroying that by moving Shaw to WR
is NOT (repeat) NOT a wise move.

LegalCock 01-04-2013 11:31 AM

I could see spurrier coming up with an offensive set (one set mind you, not moving the guy) where he flexes shaw out and does some crazy shit depending upon how good Thompson looks in camp. Both of these guys are good enough athletes to really screw with a defense in double passes and throw backs and stuff.

Spurticus makes the ultimate reason why this wouldn't happen clear: a proven experienced QB, even a back up (hypothetically) is more scarce and valuable than a starting wide-out.

BlueHerons 01-04-2013 11:33 AM

I'm sure glad Spurrier is the head coach.

Gamecock History 01-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 3623771)
Its not just understanding the playbook. Its understanding route running concepts and coverages, its knowing what spot to be on the field. Receiver in Coach Spurrier's offense isn't something you just hit the ground and run. It takes time, A LOT of time to get to a point where you play without thinking about where to go.

And HELL NO he wouldn't start at any of the 3 spots. Ace and Bruce have the starting X and Z spots locked down and Nick Jones will be the starting B with Kwinton Smith likely to get into a timeshare there. Shaw wouldn't play the B, he would likely be a Z and we have a logjam there.

If Connor Shaw is the 3rd best receiver on our team (which he is not), we have major issues.

Don't you think the QB knows the routes since he is the one throwing the ball to the spots on the field?

Yes, we have a major issue at WR, especially if Ace goes early this year.

You obviously don't think very highly of Shaw as an athlete. You do realize that our all leader at the WR position didn't play the position until he got to USC.

Emery 01-04-2013 11:37 AM

moving him with WR will be the equivalent of kicking him in the junk and spitting in his face.

The Yancey 01-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock History (Post 3623740)
Here are the reasons why:

1. Improve his NFL draft potential. He does not have the size or arm strength (velocity, not distance) to be an NFL QB.
2. He played WR his entire life up until his JR? year of high school.
3. We have a lack of WR production outside of Ace and Bruce.
4. Very similar to McKinnley: former high school QB, tough as nails, high football IQ, shifty, quick but not a burner
5. He will probably miss spring practice.
6. It would put more play makers on the field at one time: Thompson, Shaw, Sanders, and Ellington
7. He would still be available to slide over to QB and run the zone read play 4 or 5 times a game like he has been doing.

One suggestion: PUT DOWN THE BATH SALTS! :-x

davidmc467 01-04-2013 11:40 AM

This is going to be a great offseason in the Cock Pit!