CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201528)

daworm1014 12-02-2013 03:18 AM

Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season?

Or will Nosovitch or Connor Mitch have shot at taking over the starting spot? Of course I am still excited about our season this season and bowl we go too but I think the QB position will be critical if we wanna take that next step to winning an SEC championship or possibly winning a National Title or at least going to a BCS Bowl. We are the youngest team in the country and looking forward to the future.

b381l 12-02-2013 03:20 AM

Re: Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season?

75% likely that Dylan starts next year.

SWAGGGA 12-02-2013 03:20 AM

Of course not. They will all battle it out. Well those three. SOS may go with Thompson just becsuse of his experience. But noso and mitch have more upside. I believe. Will be interesting

Unknit 12-02-2013 03:22 AM

Yes. Noso and Mitch will battle for the backup spot.

Zone15 12-02-2013 03:24 AM

Yes, he will be a RS Senior, he has one shot to be the starting QB and he has earned it and deserves it. It is the same reason why Spurrier said at the end of last season that Shaw would be our starter for this year.

daworm1014 12-02-2013 03:37 AM

I just think even though he has experience, I think he is just a drop back passer where the other 2 might could run the spread offense similar to what Connor Shaw did but like I said they will battle it out and will see what happens. Just hope whoever it is they have a banner year cause QB play next year will be paramount if we wanna take the next step.

SWAGGGA 12-02-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zone15 (Post 4014152)
Yes, he will be a RS Senior, he has one shot to be the starting QB and he has earned it and deserves it. It is the same reason why Spurrier said at the end of last season that Shaw would be our starter for this year.

Garcia was a RS senior and Shaw beat him out. You earn your spot in the spring. Spurrier will let them battle.

And to the other poster Mitch is a more traditional dropback passer.

gamecockguy 12-02-2013 03:55 AM

No. I personally think Nosovitch wins the job since he is pretty much a thicker version of Shaw so the zone read will pose a threat. But obviously it depends on how everybody performs

I know Thompson gets a ton of love on here but I just don't see him starting next year. Hes a good and capable backup but thats about it

LuckyCharm 12-02-2013 03:56 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion Nosovitch can take it from him, but I still think Thompson is the default favorite if none of the other quarterbacks distinguish themselves as clearly better than the guy who has already spent four years at the school. Mitch will have a chance but I don't see it as being likely until 2015 if Dylan wins the starting job in 2014.

SWAGGGA 12-02-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecockguy (Post 4014165)
No. I personally think Nosovitch wins the job since he is pretty much a thicker version of Shaw so the zone read will pose a threat. But obviously it depends on how everybody performs

I know Thompson gets a ton of love on here but I just don't see him starting next year. Hes a good and capable backup but thats about it

Im starting to lean that way myself. Love Thompson for what hes done. He looks great at times. And others can look terrible. Honestly reminds me of Mitchell. When he was on fire he was onr of the best i ever seen. Thrn hed go and throw passes in the dirt.

Thompson has flaws in his mechanics that pop up from time to time that cause him to sail balls. And he has this hitch in his throwing motion that pops up to cause him to one hop blls.
He can put some nice velocity on balls over the middle. But his long balls tend to hang in the air and are ripe for picking off. Something Shaw does pretty well with. I dont understnd why he can put zip on an intermediate throw and have a long ball hang on him. Its a deadly combo because you feel like he shpuld be able to make those better. Its gotta be something in his mechanics.

ZenUSC 12-02-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyCharm (Post 4014166)
I have a sneaking suspicion Nosovitch can take it from him, but I still think Thompson is the default favorite if none of the other quarterbacks distinguish themselves as clearly better than the guy who has already spent four years at the school. Mitch will have a chance but I don't see it as being likely until 2015 if Dylan wins the starting job in 2014.

Except for his high school videos I've seen nothing to make me think Nosovich is equal to DT but there is definantly something going on between Spurrier and DT. I don't think Spurrier likes DT. Maybe he is too religious?

gamecockguy 12-02-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4014168)
Except for his high school videos I've seen nothing to make me think Nosovich is equal to DT but there is definantly something going on between Spurrier and DT. I don't think Spurrier likes DT. Maybe he is too religious?

You posted this stupid thing in the other thread.

There is nothing going on between Spurrier and Thompson, and if there was it definitely wouldn't be about religion.

Spurrier only said Thompson was gonna play this week so that Clemson would have to prepare for him. Shaw has proven all year long that he is head and shoulders above Thompson

GarnetAtlanta 12-02-2013 04:31 AM

I remember a time last year where people were calling for Dylan to be the starter over Shaw. We all see now how ridiculous that was, and it's just as ridiculous to do the same with Dylan, now that it is his turn to be the lead guy.

Birdwatcher 12-02-2013 04:33 AM

Thomson will start next season barring injury. If USC is kickin' it with MD, he'll stay in.

carolinacoast 12-02-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenUSC (Post 4014168)

Too religious? It was Spurrier who found him a Bible verse before his first start for USC, lol.

LuckyCharm 12-02-2013 04:36 AM

I think Spurrier has a loyalty to the guys who paid their dues into the program, but Connor Shaw getting the nod over Dylan is different because Connor was a multi-year starter his senior year, whereas Dylan still has something to prove. just my two cents.

BigSteven34 12-02-2013 05:04 AM

I don't think it is a certantity. My heart says it will be Dylan, however my brain tells me that it will be a tough competition. I honestly want the best QB on the field, whoever that is.

ZenUSC 12-02-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacoast (Post 4014177)
Too religious? It was Spurrier who found him a Bible verse before his first start for USC, lol.

Then why didn't DT play? He soundly beat Clemson last year. Connor needed help this year.Why use Pharoah with trick plays? There is something going on because DT is a very good QB. How many QBs in the last 40 years won in Clemson? That was no fluke. DT manhandled the Tigers.

DT would have put away #5 Mizzou in the 1st half if Davis didn't have fumblitus to kill the momentum twice.

wincocks84 12-02-2013 07:32 AM

I think you're looking into it too much. This was Connor's last year and he is the better QB. Not knocking Dylan, but its true. Now when Dylan takes the reigns I believe he will perform well knowing the job is his to lose.

Spur's Addiction 12-02-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWAGGGA (Post 4014161)
Garcia was a RS senior and Shaw beat him out. You earn your spot in the spring. Spurrier will let them battle.

Garcia was kicked off the team. Shaw did not beat him out.