CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201568)

TaiwanCock 12-02-2013 05:51 PM

Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Any other football players rumored to be trying to make the roster?

USCBASEBALL1 12-02-2013 05:59 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiwanCock (Post 4015110)
Any other football players rumored to be trying to make the roster?

Pretty certain Christian is done with Baseball but not sure on Carson.

Spur20001 12-02-2013 06:37 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiwanCock (Post 4015110)
Any other football players rumored to be trying to make the roster?

Holbrook has stated he does not expect any baseball players to be on our team.

Wingman 12-02-2013 07:35 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur20001 (Post 4015174)
Holbrook has stated he does not expect any baseball players to be on our team.

Please say it ain't so! There's got to be at least one baseball player on our baseball team!!

TaiwanCock 12-02-2013 07:47 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
I know that missing Fall ball puts them way behind others trying for the team, but that is a shame. I keep hoping for the Carolina version of "Bo knows."

rosstheboss 12-02-2013 07:56 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur20001 (Post 4015174)
Holbrook has stated he does not expect any baseball players to be on our team.

gonna be a long year...

TaiwanCock 12-02-2013 08:39 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
What I am saying..? We already have Bruuucce...

Still, would be neat to see a strong two sport guy in baseball, football.

USCBatgirl21 12-02-2013 08:53 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Didn't Coach say in the Fall Wrapup, when asked, that he expects to see them trying out in the Spring? Now that does not mean they will make the team, but the door is not closed to them.

COCKDIESEL 12-02-2013 09:28 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
I'm pretty sure both will make the team, that doesn't mean they will be on the active roster. Both are very talented, along with Kwinton Smith who was drafted very high if I remember correctly, I fully expect all three to at least give baseball a go.

CarolinaGnB521 12-02-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
The problem with this is the fact that Shon Carson and Ahmad Christian both are below average in the outfield - and while they may be able (may, being the key word) get their batting swing down to the same as every other outfielder we've got, it would be hard to find them time in the field or at the plate. They would be used as a pinch runner if they came out and somehow made the team.

Then you've got to think about it like that. The roster already has to be cut down to 35, that's hard enough when you've got 50~ players in the locker room right now that are pretty damn good ball players. You're going to keep 1 (or 2) guys on the pinch simply as pinch runners? Whose spot would they be taking? Remember last year when we kept both Shon Carson and Ahmad Christian on the team and we really could've used Hunter Privette?

I'm just saying that I doubt they come back, and even if they did, I doubt they make the team. I'm sure this opinion insults someone on this board but it's my opinion. They're good baseball players, but not SEC quality baseball players. They're not an everyday fielder, or hitter in the SEC. It's nice to having blazing speed on the bases (ex: Shon Carson at Clemson last season), but it's nicer to have the right guys on the team.

35 is a hard number to cut down to:

That would be my 35 man right there...

3,4,5,6,7,8,9,13,14,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,28, 30,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,42,43,45,46,47,48,53,54

Luke Skycocker 12-03-2013 12:57 AM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Carson isn't more than a pinch runner on our team, I'd rather give that spot to someone else. Christian and Smith won't make the active roster

FlorenceCock 12-03-2013 01:48 AM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
When they talked to Chad on 107.5 after the G&B world series he didn't come out and say it but he basically said in a round about way that they were not going to make the roster. He only has so many slots and he would have to turn away probably 5 guys that would start at other programs in the SEC. He was nice about it saying what great kids they were and how they were great athletes but you could tell that they were not going to be on the team this season.

TaiwanCock 12-03-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
I agree with most of what you say, except the "they are not SEC quality players." I would modify that a bit to say, they are not good enough to skip months of practice (while playing football) to keep their swing and fielding at SEC quality levels.

USCBatgirl21 12-03-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 (Post 4015539)
The problem with this is the fact that Shon Carson and Ahmad Christian both are below average in the outfield - and while they may be able (may, being the key word) get their batting swing down to the same as every other outfielder we've got, it would be hard to find them time in the field or at the plate. They would be used as a pinch runner if they came out and somehow made the team.

Then you've got to think about it like that. The roster already has to be cut down to 35, that's hard enough when you've got 50~ players in the locker room right now that are pretty damn good ball players. You're going to keep 1 (or 2) guys on the pinch simply as pinch runners? Whose spot would they be taking? Remember last year when we kept both Shon Carson and Ahmad Christian on the team and we really could've used Hunter Privette?

I'm just saying that I doubt they come back, and even if they did, I doubt they make the team. I'm sure this opinion insults someone on this board but it's my opinion. They're good baseball players, but not SEC quality baseball players. They're not an everyday fielder, or hitter in the SEC. It's nice to having blazing speed on the bases (ex: Shon Carson at Clemson last season), but it's nicer to have the right guys on the team.

35 is a hard number to cut down to:

That would be my 35 man right there...

3,4,5,6,7,8,9,13,14,15,16,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,28, 30,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,42,43,45,46,47,48,53,54

Re: the bolded...in all fairness...Ahmad got hurt last year. There is no way we could have known that would happen.

Now I can agree that keeping Shon instead of Hunter hurt us more. I was not impressed with Shon's eye at the plate. I was impressed with some of his abilities in the OF and on the basepaths early on, but he seemed to regress as the season went on.

TaiwanCock 12-03-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Ahmad and Shon were both drafted in late rounds. Didn't realize that Kwinton was drafted in the 14th round?

Spur20001 12-03-2013 07:24 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur20001 (Post 4015174)
Holbrook has stated he does not expect any baseball players to be on our team.

OOPS. Did I say that? Thanks for calling my attention to this awful foulup. No FOOTBALL players expected to be on next season's team. Please don't shoot me this time. OK?

SClawman 12-04-2013 05:52 AM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Glad to hear Christian won't play baseball. He's looking at a starting corner position next year and needs a full spring practice to prepare.

lilhornet 12-15-2013 04:11 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Christian is playing JUCO baseball and is planning on going pro in that FWIW.

CarolinaGnB521 12-16-2013 09:19 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SClawman (Post 4016917)
Glad to hear Christian won't play baseball. He's looking at a starting corner position next year and needs a full spring practice to prepare.

Guess that didn't pan out the way it sounded!

Best wishes to Christian obviously as he is a hell of an athlete, but he's not a SEC baseball player, at least while playing two sports. If he focused on simply baseball, he could've been. But the lack of a fall in baseball, and spring in football, really hurt him in both sports.

I hope he finds peace in one sport, and excels at it, because it's obvious he can be really good at either if he dedicated all of his (sports-related) time towards it.

ConwayGamecock 12-16-2013 09:31 PM

Re: Has anyone heard if Christian and Carson are trying out for baseball again?
 
It's a reality of our baseball program that we're stocking it with elite talent, and that talent is having to battle in the fall and winter to make the final roster. The program is at a point where it's expected to compete for Omaha every season, and while Ahmad, Shon, and Kwinton are pretty talented baseball players, to let them miss BB fall practice and scrimmages - as well as missing a good bit of early season prep with the team while they practice in the spring with the FB team - is a bit unfair to the team as well as other players who worked hard all off-season focusing on baseball but may lose a roster spot to those part-time players...

If the BB program was a mediocre program with mediocre talent I'm sure the staff would appreciate such athletes joining the team and contributing, but the bar is set pretty high for South Carolina baseball....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.