CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201583)

U-Dub Gamecock 12-02-2013 09:51 PM

Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
SOS has 76 wins at Carolina... Does he stay around long enough to get 100 wins here? This would have been a pipe dream 3-4 years ago, but now looks possible...

Thoughts?

Clowneygotcha 12-02-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Yes because he has stated before he will be here as long as Connor Mitch is, so that leads me to believe he will be here for 100 and that Connor Mitch is our gem, and will end up starting next year. You don't say crap like that to a recruit as Steve Spurrier without knowing the guy is probably going to be your next Rex Grossman/Danny Wuerffel.

Gaichon 12-02-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
I say most definitely. Calling it - he picks it up vs. Georgia in '16.

GapoGamecock51 12-02-2013 10:24 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
I think so.....No reason for him not to. He is at 76 in large part because of the last three years. 9 to 11 wins, if not more, a year and he gets there sometime in the next two years, 3 at the most........I hope he stays long enough to get 150 wins.



Gapo

garnet_black215 12-02-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
With a bowl win, he would have 77 going in to next season, putting him 23 away.

He could get that at the end of 2015, but I agree with Gaichon that it will more likely come in 2016.

garnet_black215 12-02-2013 10:30 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Also, I know it's not the appropriate forum, but major congratulations to Dawn Staley for her 100th win as the women's coach. Seemed like it would be appropriate to mention it here since we were discussing SOS getting to 100.

Rebel4ever 12-02-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
If he averages 6 SEC wins or more a year for the next 4 years, he'll get close to the Bear in all time SEC wins. I would think he would LOVE to get that record.

U-Dub Gamecock 12-02-2013 10:35 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet_black215 (Post 4015447)
Also, I know it's not the appropriate forum, but major congratulations to Dawn Staley for her 100th win as the women's coach. Seemed like it would be appropriate to mention it here since we were discussing SOS getting to 100.

I really need to attend one of the girls' games... Dawn has got it going on.

grannycock 12-02-2013 10:47 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4015452)
If he averages 6 SEC wins or more a year for the next 4 years, he'll get close to the Bear in all time SEC wins. I would think he would LOVE to get that record.

Most SEC Wins

1. The Bear 159 (22 at KY and 137 at Bama)
2. The HBC 127 (Still active and counting 87 at UF and 40 at SC)

Saban is out there lurking with wins at Mich State, LSU and Bama and plenty of SEC wins at LSU and Bama and still active and counting.

That's some serious rarefied air being in those lists.

I still think the three best are The Bear, Gen Neyland and Spurrier and, for now, in that order. It could change. Saban is sure to make his mark even more before all is said and done.

Can Spurrier win 33 more SEC games before he retires? If he could average 5.5 a year for 6 years = 33 ... I dunno. He's signed through 2017. I think if he thinks he can make it when 2017 rolls around he might make a go for it - I dunno.

Can Saban pass both The Bear and The HBC before all is said and done?

And why does Saban not have a catchy nickname yet?




I think he's gonna get the record, I'm pulling for him.

BlueHerons 12-02-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
HBC is having FUN!!

That is the most important thing I think. He's winning, he's surrounded by family, and he is having fun.

henmania 12-02-2013 11:10 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4015396)
SOS has 76 wins at Carolina... Does he stay around long enough to get 100 wins here? This would have been a pipe dream 3-4 years ago, but now looks possible...

Thoughts?

He will be here at least 3 more years. You can bank on that. You can also bank on 9 or 10 wins next year. So he will get there to 100 pretty easily. He told a mutual friend Sunday that he had more fun this year with this team than any other here. He feels really good about next year's team. I mean really good. What's to worry about?

cockybreeyan 12-02-2013 11:24 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
He is starting to look younger, BUT I do not think he will get to the Bear's record

b381l 12-02-2013 11:25 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
With the team he has now and the players coming in, there is no way he leaves before he gets 100.

11SWU10 12-02-2013 11:39 PM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
I hope he does it in 3 years. Say 39 wins, just dreaming.
Three years ago I would have been dreaming about 33 wins in 3 years. It may happen. 1 more!
Heck lets dream big!

Carolina4Life 12-02-2013 11:45 PM

Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
3 to 4 more 10 or 11 win seasons and he will beat Bryant's record. I don't think he intended on staying that long but with the possibility of beating B.B. I think he stays and gets it.

Cockhornleghorn 12-03-2013 02:31 AM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grannycock (Post 4015477)
Most SEC Wins

1. The Bear 159 (22 at KY and 137 at Bama)
2. The HBC 127 (Still active and counting 87 at UF and 40 at SC)

Saban is out there lurking with wins at Mich State, LSU and Bama and plenty of SEC wins at LSU and Bama and still active and counting.

That's some serious rarefied air being in those lists.

I still think the three best are The Bear, Gen Neyland and Spurrier and, for now, in that order. It could change. Saban is sure to make his mark even more before all is said and done.

Can Spurrier win 33 more SEC games before he retires? If he could average 5.5 a year for 6 years = 33 ... I dunno. He's signed through 2017. I think if he thinks he can make it when 2017 rolls around he might make a go for it - I dunno.

Can Saban pass both The Bear and The HBC before all is said and done?

And why does Saban not have a catchy nickname yet?




I think he's gonna get the record, I'm pulling for him.

I personally think Spurrier will stick around until he passes Bear for most wins in the SEC. I also think Spurrier believes he can win a national championship at USC.

roosterdude21 12-03-2013 02:42 AM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by henmania (Post 4015507)
He will be here at least 3 more years. You can bank on that. You can also bank on 9 or 10 wins next year. So he will get there to 100 pretty easily. He told a mutual friend Sunday that he had more fun this year with this team than any other here. He feels really good about next year's team. I mean really good. What's to worry about?

If true then that's pretty cool. He seemed to be pretty frustrated most of the year, up until about the 4th quarter of the Mizzou game actually.

Roosterboy 12-03-2013 09:53 AM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Very possible. Spurrier will stay for at least three more years with Connor Mitch.
Let's say we win the bowl game (not a given I know) he would have 77.
Next year I see a bare minimum of 7 wins (84).
So if he only gets 7 wins each of the following two seasons, he will have 108 wins.

If he doesn't have 100 wins within the next three years, then the program really hit a wall.

I just hope we will have maybe 2 SEC titles over those years. God knows it is time to take that step.

Roosterboy 12-03-2013 09:56 AM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4015693)
I personally think Spurrier will stick around until he passes Bear for most wins in the SEC. I also think Spurrier believes he can win a national championship at USC.

I have no doubt we can...but let's focus on actually winning our conference first.
Not to be negative, but we really wasted an opportunity the last two seasons to get to Atlanta, and have no one to blame but ourselves for losing to a bad Auburn team and a bad UT team (even though they had arguably the best Oline in the conference and a senior laden defense).

jesse james 12-03-2013 11:45 AM

Re: Spurrier... Does he get to 100 wins?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4015791)
So if he only gets 7 wins each of the following two seasons, he will have 108 wins.

Funny, I remember telling my brother when Spurrier came here that he had averaged over 9 wins a season in 15 years as a college coach and we had only had one 9 win season since 1892! We were both giddy at the prospect, but I also recall how concerned we were that we might also drag his average wins down . . .

Fast forward nine years and the HBC is averaging 8.44 wins per season in his tenure at Carolina (and over 9 wins a season since 2008)!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.