CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2014 season bowl picture (no BCS) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201682)

SClawman 12-04-2013 11:31 PM

2014 season bowl picture (no BCS)

Interesting read. If we're sitting at #8 this time next year we'll be looking at one of the top four bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar) for sure. Committee will decide four playoff teams as well as the 8 teams in the 4 major bowls.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/12/0...les-limit.html

eaddy1847 12-04-2013 11:42 PM

Re: 2014 season bowl picture (no BCS)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SClawman (Post 4017904)
Interesting read. If we're sitting at #8 this time next year we'll be looking at one of the top four bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar) for sure. Committee will decide four playoff teams as well as the 8 teams in the 4 major bowls.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/12/0...les-limit.html

Sure hope we've proven the chicken curse does not exist after the last three years but the "lifelong" Gamecock in me immediately thought "Just out luck. Happens the first year after we lose a ton of NFL talent." Hope that negative nelly thought is not correct LOL. :lol:

uscandy 12-04-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaddy1847 (Post 4017921)
Sure hope we've proven the chicken curse does not exist after the last three years but the "lifelong" Gamecock in me immediately thought "Just out luck. Happens the first year after we lose a ton of NFL talent." Hope that negative nelly thought is not correct LOL. :lol:

Our fanbase has some serious issues! Still talking about some stupid curse. I've never seen so many fragile and mentally weak fans.Awful!

Nureye 12-05-2013 01:17 AM

Wait, I thought the first round of the playoffs would be held at those bowls on a rotating basis.

So, for example, the Rose Bowl Champs will Play the Sugar Bowl champs for the national championship. Then the other bowls will rotate.

Edit: just looked it up. I'm right.

uscsandstorm85 12-05-2013 01:57 AM

If we are in the top 8 we could be in the playoffs.

b381l 12-05-2013 02:40 AM

The biggest benefit I see next year is the fact that the SEC will no longer be limited to 2 teams in the BCS/playoff bowls.

Carolina-Beez 12-05-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4018055)
The biggest benefit I see next year is the fact that the SEC will no longer be limited to 2 teams in the BCS/playoff bowls.

That would be great if the playoffs were determined by a hard formula, like the current BCS system, but the playoff participants will be selected by a committee. There is absolutely no way a committee composed of Clemson's AD, West Virginia's AD, Condoleeza Rice, etc. will pick 3 SEC teams for a 4 team playoffs. It's not going to be about selecting the 4 best teams; it's going to be about politics and "fairness".

Now, I guess the SEC is not limited in terms of bowls. Honestly, I'm completely confused about how the bowls will work once the playoff starts.

Travelin 12-05-2013 10:59 AM

One thing is for certain, we win every game and we will win the National Championship.

No more slip ups.

ipull4usc 12-05-2013 11:13 AM

I have SERIOUS doubts a committee next year would let us land in one of the major non-playoff bowls. I think this committee is an awful idea. What was wrong with the BCS formula? Why couldn't we just go to a playoff and use the BCS formula to decide the teams?

I GUARANTEE this committee will be all about the political correctness, give everybody a chance BS that we see all the time. NO WAY they'd give #8 Carolina a slot in one of the major bowls. I have ZERO doubt that Baylor, Michigan State, and Arizona State would get in before Carolina, because the committee wants to "spread the wealth" and Carolina would be the 4th SEC team.

Mark my words, this committee will be plagued by politics and is going to be no friend of the SEC.

Harry Tuttle 12-05-2013 12:22 PM

I hope we go to the Peach because I live in the Atl...

JAYBEZ 12-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4018188)
One thing is for certain, we win every game and we will win the National Championship.

No more slip ups.

Ask 2004 auburn about the true of that statement...

brat 12-05-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez (Post 4018148)
That would be great if the playoffs were determined by a hard formula, like the current BCS system, but the playoff participants will be selected by a committee. There is absolutely no way a committee composed of Clemson's AD, West Virginia's AD, Condoleeza Rice, etc. will pick 3 SEC teams for a 4 team playoffs. It's not going to be about selecting the 4 best teams; it's going to be about politics and "fairness".

Now, I guess the SEC is not limited in terms of bowls. Honestly, I'm completely confused about how the bowls will work once the playoff starts.

Exactly right. As long as humans are involved, nothing is going to be perfect.

I am not holding my breath in anticipation that next year and following years will be without much controversy in the final results.

If they do not throw away preseason polls and not do a ranking until midseason and use strength of schedule as a major factor, this is just putting lipstick on a pig.

uscandy 12-05-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipull4usc (Post 4018201)
I have SERIOUS doubts a committee next year would let us land in one of the major non-playoff bowls. I think this committee is an awful idea. What was wrong with the BCS formula? Why couldn't we just go to a playoff and use the BCS formula to decide the teams?

I GUARANTEE this committee will be all about the political correctness, give everybody a chance BS that we see all the time. NO WAY they'd give #8 Carolina a slot in one of the major bowls. I have ZERO doubt that Baylor, Michigan State, and Arizona State would get in before Carolina, because the committee wants to "spread the wealth" and Carolina would be the 4th SEC team.

Mark my words, this committee will be plagued by politics and is going to be no friend of the SEC.

Old Carolina mentality again rears its ugly head!

FanofCarolina1 12-05-2013 10:04 PM

I just saw on Twitter that the Capitol One Bowl wants to see SC vs. Wisconsin due to the two schools have never played one another before.

Order 66 12-05-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipull4usc (Post 4018201)

Yep

garnet_black215 12-05-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4018962)
I just saw on Twitter that the Capitol One Bowl wants to see SC vs. Wisconsin due to the two schools have never played one another before.

I saw that tweet. I don't think that necessarily means that's what they want, they were just pointing it out.

I hope that isn't what happens.

Spur's Addiction 12-05-2013 10:16 PM

WAY TO EARLY.

Can't we get past this bowl season before projecting the next one?

Travelin 12-05-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4018188)

No more slip ups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBEZ (Post 4018711)
Ask 2004 auburn about the true of that statement...

Wake up, JAYBEZ. It isn't 2004.

We go undefeated next year and we will win the NC.

Travelin 12-05-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4018776)
Exactly right. As long as humans are involved, nothing is going to be perfect.

I am not holding my breath in anticipation that next year and following years will be without much controversy in the final results.

If they do not throw away preseason polls and not do a ranking until midseason and use strength of schedule as a major factor, this is just putting lipstick on a pig.

A 16 team playoff format is the only answer, and then they would find a way to ruin it.

But, you have to play the game as it is. Bama, UF and Aubie ain't complaining.

uscgamecocks88 12-05-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4018973)
WAY TO EARLY.

Can't we get past this bowl season before projecting the next one?

Yes... I mean half the people on here are arguing about which bowl we should go to.