CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Exhaust fans in your bathroom (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201684)

5150harley 12-05-2013 12:22 AM

Exhaust fans in your bathroom

What is a good exhaust fan to move moisture / air and quiet? I don't feel like researching.

#fartfan

bryarx 12-05-2013 12:24 AM

Re: Exhaust fans in your bathroom

http://scs.viceland.com/int/v10n10/h...ts/fartFAN.jpg

SwampFox 12-05-2013 12:46 AM

The Nutone fans available at Home Depot or Lowes will do what you want. Most of the stores have a display set us where you can see how loud a fan will be. The amount of air in CFM will be on the box.

Obviously the higher the cost, the better the quality and the more air it will move and the less noise it will make. If you can get a look in the box, a fan that has blades that look like a ships paddlewheel will be noisy. Fans that resemble a squirrel cage will be more quiet.

robgusc76 12-05-2013 12:51 AM

Am I the only one who turns on those fans for the noise because I have a quiet bathroom?

TaterHater1984 12-05-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4017993)
Am I the only one who turns on those fans for the noise because I have a quiet bathroom?

Definitely not. That's the only reason I use one because they certainly aren't useful for what they're supposed to do.

Thenardier 12-05-2013 03:21 AM

I wish I had the set up the hotel I stayed at after the Iron Bowl had. No fan, but had an air vent, due to the different air pressure, I the water temp at maximum but had no fog or condensation at all in the bathroom.

Mechanical Cock 12-05-2013 06:31 AM

I bought one and installed a few weeks ago from Uline from Lowes. 109$ deal with a humidity sensor. My wife isnt very good about turning on the fan so i took the decosion away from her a little. Also it is very quiet. Only moves 80cfm but the bathroom is small enough. If you are like me and up at 5 then a quiet fan is good for te rest of the house.

2000grad 12-05-2013 09:36 AM

Whatever fan you get, make sure it pulls enough air. The main reason you want those in your bathroom is to get the humidity out so that there will not be mositure near your ducts in your house. If you call a HVAC company, ask to speak with one of their techs and then ask him what he would put in his bathroom. I'm having one installed in the next week or two and that is the route I went

2000grad 12-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150harley (Post 4017970)
What is a good exhaust fan to move moisture / air and quiet? I don't feel like researching.

#fartfan

You can also find many suggestions here

stiffolcock 12-05-2013 10:46 AM

how many cubic feet is the bathroom?

gamecockphan 12-05-2013 10:54 AM

I've got a Fantech. Don't like it. My GC swore it moved a lot of air but my wife still steams up the bathroom with her really hot showers.

JaxcockFL 12-06-2013 10:10 PM

Make sure it exhausts into the outside and not just the attic. Most homes prior to the 2000's that have fans exhaust into the attic.

On a side note, keep that in mind if you have to drop a hard deuce when someone is getting Christmas decorations out of the attic, or doing work or an inspection.

Just sayin

Shimano 12-07-2013 12:30 AM

Get Panasonic or Broan.

MB_Gamecock 12-07-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4020100)
Make sure it exhausts into the outside and not just the attic. Most homes prior to the 2000's that have fans exhaust into the attic.

On a side note, keep that in mind if you have to drop a hard deuce when someone is getting Christmas decorations out of the attic, or doing work or an inspection.

Just sayin

What if it is exhausting outside and your neighbor is hosting a deck party downwind?

ccured 12-07-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimano (Post 4020273)
Get Panasonic or Broan.

Broan and nutone are the same company. Use the same internals usually only differences are in the grills. I say broan or nutone. Support American business. They are made in wisconsin. Panasonic is a Japanese company made in china. It is also easy to get individual replacements parts for nutone are easy to come by.

GH 12-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Gamecock (Post 4020311)
What if it is exhausting outside and your neighbor is hosting a deck party downwind?

The question then becomes were you invited?

JaxcockFL 12-07-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Gamecock (Post 4020311)

Drop the nuke....fallout is their problem.

CockyandProud 12-08-2013 12:07 AM

I'm going to remodel the master bath in my house, and I told my wife that I'm putting in a fan so powerful that we will have a seatbelt on the toilet.

Tony 12-08-2013 01:39 AM

"Drop a herd deuce"... I like that.

Ole Gregg 12-08-2013 02:13 AM

Panasonic is quieter and will move more air given the same ducting, and ducting is extremely important if you want to move the most air possible. some people want the quietest fan they can get, others not so much.

just the facts ma'am.