CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Nelson Mandela--dead (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201711)

Biocockanics 12-05-2013 06:15 PM

Nelson Mandela--dead

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ela-dead-at-95

crowcutta 12-05-2013 06:39 PM

Re: Nelson Mandela--dead

r.i.p. to a great man

USCBatgirl21 12-05-2013 06:41 PM

He was a great man, and the world is a bit better thanks to him. He will be missed.

Peace be with all.

Acockolypse Now 12-05-2013 06:50 PM

Freedom.

garnet_black215 12-05-2013 06:51 PM

One of history's greatest influences. May he rest in peace.

Carolina4Life 12-05-2013 06:51 PM

Finally free.

ShutTheSuccop 12-05-2013 07:13 PM

Free for eternity...RIP

The Yancey 12-05-2013 07:13 PM

I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair...I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. (Mandela)

Dietz 12-05-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4018809)
Finally free.

ditto to that, one of the great leaders of our time, he did so much for human rights, picking up where MLK left off

catdaddy66 12-05-2013 08:32 PM

A great man who wanted betterment for ALL. We should learn this lesson!

Rest well, Mr. Mandela.

The Yancey 12-05-2013 08:45 PM

Words from Muhammad Ali on the passing of Nelson Mandela:

"I am deeply saddened by the passing of Mr. Mandela. His was a life filled with purpose and hope; hope for himself, his country and the world. He inspired others to reach for what appeared to be impossible and moved them to break through the barriers that held them hostage mentally, physically, socially and economically. He made us realize, we are our brother's keeper and that our brothers come in all colors.

What I will remember most about Mr. Mandela is that he was a man whose heart, soul and spirit could not be contained or restrained by racial and economic injustices, metal bars or the burden of hate and revenge. He taught us forgiveness on a grand scale. His was a spirit born free, destined to soar above the rainbows. Today his spirit is soaring through the heavens.

He is now forever free."

usc90grad 12-05-2013 08:56 PM

A man that most people know very little about.

ShutTheSuccop 12-05-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4018901)
A man that most people know very little about.

Cryptic...

Carolina4Life 12-06-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4018894)
Words from Muhammad Ali on the passing of Nelson Mandela:

"I am deeply saddened by the passing of Mr. Mandela. His was a life filled with purpose and hope; hope for himself, his country and the world. He inspired others to reach for what appeared to be impossible and moved them to break through the barriers that held them hostage mentally, physically, socially and economically. He made us realize, we are our brother's keeper and that our brothers come in all colors.

What I will remember most about Mr. Mandela is that he was a man whose heart, soul and spirit could not be contained or restrained by racial and economic injustices, metal bars or the burden of hate and revenge. He taught us forgiveness on a grand scale. His was a spirit born free, destined to soar above the rainbows. Today his spirit is soaring through the heavens.

He is now forever free."

Kind words but I don't think Ali is in any kind of shape to release such a statement.

GamecockNeal 12-06-2013 05:02 AM

I actually work with like 7 South Africans here at my school in Korea. They have been quite upset today and I guess I never realized what he meant to that country and to the world. If a president died in America, I just cant see many people acting with the emotion that my coworkers have displayed.

3MTA3 12-06-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockNeal (Post 4019209)
I actually work with like 7 South Africans here at my school in Korea. They have been quite upset today and I guess I never realized what he meant to that country and to the world. If a president died in America, I just cant see many people acting with the emotion that my coworkers have displayed.

If we had a president that was a revered as much as Mandela, yes...you would see it.

Travelin 12-06-2013 07:52 AM

"Do not judge me on my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."-Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

“When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.”- Nelson Mandela

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela

He was a master of disguise: When Mandela was eluding authorities during his fight against apartheid, he disguised himself in various ways, including as a chauffeur. The press nicknamed him "the Black Pimpernel" because of his police evasion tactics. "I became a creature of the night. I would keep to my hideout during the day, and would emerge to do my work when it became dark," he says in his biography, "Long Walk to Freedom."

He was on the U.S. terror watch list: Mandela wasn't removed from the U.S. terror watch list until 2008 -- at age 89. He and other members of the African National Congress were placed on it because of their militant fight against apartheid.

Apartheid was the nation's system of legalized racial segregation that was enforced by the National Party government between 1948 and 1994.

"He had no place on our government's terror watch list, and I'm pleased to see this bill finally become law," said Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

He drew his inspiration from a poem: While locked up at Robben Island for decades, Mandela would read William Ernest Henley's "Invictus" to fellow prisoners. The poem, about never giving up, resonated with Mandela for its lines "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." You may know it from the movie, Invictus, starring Morgan Freeman as Mandela.

TheShelbySensation 12-06-2013 10:26 PM

Eh. He was a communist who authorized terrorism against his people. Not a saint for sure.

GamecockNeal 12-08-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShelbySensation (Post 4020115)
Eh. He was a communist who authorized terrorism against his people. Not a saint for sure.

Take it to the PF or dont post, its that simple.

BleedsGarnet 12-08-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockNeal (Post 4021556)
Take it to the PF or dont post, its that simple.

Mandela is a political figure.

Look at South Africa before he came to power and after he came to power. He turned South Africa from being the Gem of Africa to another crappy third world state.

He's kinda like Che Guevara in the sense most people don't truly understand what he "accomplished".