CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Everything you need to know World Cup'14 (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201791)

Biocockanics 12-07-2013 11:41 AM

Everything you need to know World Cup'14

First, this is for fans of Soccer and for those who are interested in learning but may now know. If you only have asshat comments, do not post.

The way the World Cup works, each team was drawn 'semi-randomly" in a partial blind manner...somewhat skewed system but it is what it is.

Most locations for matches in Brazil is, I believe, -1 and -2 hours from EST so local Brazil time of 1500 is 1400/1300 here.

The first stage now that qualifying is over:
GROUP STAGES:
Link to full match schedules
Initial Matches, each person in a group- plays each other.
A win = 3 points, draw=1pt for each team, a loss=0 points.
The two teams with the most points advance, in the event of a tie between two teams, goal differential is the first tie-breaker. Second tie-breaker is total goals scored. Third through fifth is head to head matchup.

As I said, the two teams with the most points advance to the more commonly understood "playoff" system.
Round of 16:
The top 2 teams from each group will be paired and will play
here is a link to the way in which it will be grouped:

Below are the groupings...the "Group of Death" (most difficult to advance from) is in some debate between Group D and Gm depending on who you ask.

Personally, I see Germany and Portugal as far more difficult teams than England/Italy/Uruguay

Group A
  1. Brazil
  2. Croatia
  3. Mexico
  4. Cameroon

Group B
  1. Spain
  2. Netherlands
  3. Chile
  4. Australia

Group C
  1. Columbia
  2. Greece
  3. Cote d'ivoire
  4. Japan
Group D
  1. Uruguay
  2. Costa Rica
  3. England
  4. Italy
Group E
  1. Switzerland
  2. Ecuador
  3. France
  4. Honduras
Group F
  1. Argentina
  2. Bosnia
  3. Iran
  4. Nigeria
Group G
  1. Germany
  2. Portugal
  3. Ghana
  4. USA
Group H
  1. Belgium
  2. Algeria
  3. Russia
  4. Korea republic

If you have questions, please post them! Again, mods please keep the trolls from freeing themselves like usual in soccer threads.

Luke Skycocker 12-07-2013 11:50 AM

Re: Everything you need to know World Cup'14

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...BbNOXS09mDmM0A

Its probably gonna be a short run for the US

Cockypantherfan 12-07-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4020466)
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...BbNOXS09mDmM0A

Its probably gonna be a short run for the US

Might be, but you never know what can happen. The thing we have going for us is we are an underdog so the team should be playing loose and with no pressure.

TucockShakur 12-07-2013 12:10 PM

We owe Ghana some revenge.

B-G 12-07-2013 01:08 PM

I don't want Mexico to advance.
But they may.

Saw Brazil has a 99% chance in advancing from group stages and is the favorite.

Also Op, if someone trolls just report the post, saying "mods delete" won't do much.

garnet_black215 12-07-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4020459)
First, this is for fans of Soccer and for those who are interested in learning but may now know. If you only have asshat comments, do not post.

The way the World Cup works, each team was drawn 'semi-randomly" in a partial blind manner...somewhat skewed system but it is what it is.

Most locations for matches in Brazil is, I believe, -1 and -2 hours from EST so local Brazil time of 1500 is 1400/1300 here.

The first stage now that qualifying is over:
GROUP STAGES:
Link to full match schedules
Initial Matches, each person in a group- plays each other.
A win = 3 points, draw=1pt for each team, a loss=0 points.
The two teams with the most points advance, in the event of a tie between two teams, goal differential is the first tie-breaker. Second tie-breaker is total goals scored. Third through fifth is head to head matchup.

As I said, the two teams with the most points advance to the more commonly understood "playoff" system.
Round of 16:
The top 2 teams from each group will be paired and will play
here is a link to the way in which it will be grouped:

Below are the groupings...the "Group of Death" (most difficult to advance from) is in some debate between Group D and Gm depending on who you ask.

Personally, I see Germany and Portugal as far more difficult teams than England/Italy/Uruguay

Group A
  1. Brazil
  2. Croatia
  3. Mexico
  4. Cameroon

Group B
  1. Spain
  2. Netherlands
  3. Chile
  4. Australia

Group C
  1. Columbia
  2. Greece
  3. Cote d'ivoire
  4. Japan
Group D
  1. Uruguay
  2. Costa Rica
  3. England
  4. Italy
Group E
  1. Switzerland
  2. Ecuador
  3. France
  4. Honduras
Group F
  1. Argentina
  2. Bosnia
  3. Iran
  4. Nigeria
Group G
  1. Germany
  2. Portugal
  3. Ghana
  4. USA
Group H
  1. Belgium
  2. Algeria
  3. Russia
  4. Korea republic

If you have questions, please post them! Again, mods please keep the trolls from freeing themselves like usual in soccer threads.

A friend of mine thinks the "Group of Death" is either Group B or Group G. Could make an argument for either of the three though.

SR4-AJ1 12-07-2013 03:31 PM

No way group b could be the group of death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainCock91 12-07-2013 08:39 PM

Newish soccer fan here. Just started watching during the world cup in 2010 (still only really watch when the U.S. is playing).

Who will broadcast the world cup in the U.S.? Will they also broadcast the U.S. "Group Stage" games? Since their time zones are so close to ours, will they be shown live?

tkousc 12-08-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 (Post 4020921)
Newish soccer fan here. Just started watching during the world cup in 2010 (still only really watch when the U.S. is playing).

Who will broadcast the world cup in the U.S.? Will they also broadcast the U.S. "Group Stage" games? Since their time zones are so close to ours, will they be shown live?

Espn will broadcast every game on one of their channels. In 2018 FOX takes over. The games will be at 12Pm 3PM and 6PM eastern time which is excellent.

markp_vip 12-09-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet_black215 (Post 4020560)
A friend of mine thinks the "Group of Death" is either Group B or Group G. Could make an argument for either of the three though.

Group B will certainly be the group of death for Australia and probably Chile as well. Wouldn't consider it an overall group of death though. D and G could both qualify as groups of death IMO.