CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201890)

Percy Jackson 12-09-2013 02:22 AM

How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Hello from Utah! I'd like to know your gut feelings about the way Coach Elliot has handled the O-line this year. I don't get to see many games, but what I have seen gives me the impression that the offensive line is pretty good, but not great nor dominant, even though they have the size and the talent (at least when they were recruited) to be both. If I'm wrong, tell me. But I noted several technique problems of poor use of the hands or poor foot work or leveraging issues allowing smaller players to get under their pads and get them off balance. Don't get me wrong. They're good. But the recruiting successes we've had recently has lead me to expect better.

InletCock1989 12-09-2013 02:38 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
They started out good but kinda lacked near the end. He's a good coach and his recruiting has helped but I'd like to see more consistency.

MWard 12-09-2013 02:39 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Elliott is an AMAZING recruiter and a hell of an OL Coach. He brings in A LOT of highly ranked OL every year.

Last year we were ranked 102nd nationally for Sacks Allowed. This year, 52nd, which is a huge improvement.

Last year we were ranked 100th for Tackles for a Loss Allowed. This year, 29th, another HUGE improvement.

InletCock1989 12-09-2013 02:42 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
But like MWard said, it does take a long time
To build depth and talent at those positions! He's brought many great recruits here!

sc455 12-09-2013 02:52 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Who is coach elliot?

jfbreb94 12-09-2013 07:53 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Love the guy. Have never seen such size on our o line

Spurticus 12-09-2013 08:12 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Honest Opinion:

He did a better job this year than in his previous 3 years, BUT
with the experience, depth and SIZE he had to work with, overall I'd call
it an Underachievement. .. Sorry if I hurt the feelings of the Coach Elliott
supporters, but we have faced much smaller, and much less talented
programs who do a MUCH better job on their O/Line than ours. Our O/Line
has faced "so-so" D/lines this season and struggled to hold their own
against them. We did very good "In Spots" in both the run and pass blocking
but as I said, overall, we underachieved on the line this year. If you gave
our talent, and our size and depth to O/Line coaches like the ones at
UT, or Florida etc... This unit would be much (MUCH) better than what they
put out here. I'm convinced of that. ALSO...If you look at the O/Line of
Auburns, and what their O/line coach has done there vs what we've done
here it puts things in perspective. Last year their O/line was average
AT BEST. This year, they might well be the best O/line in the country
and with a much more complicated scheme of blocking than ours here.

I'll give credit to Coach Elliott for the improvements. It was "OK" for
the most part. HOWEVER, "OK" isn't good for the size and experience we
had going for us this year on our Line. .... Someone stated it above and
was accurate in saying that we also seemed to have gotten worse as
the season went on rather than improve.

If it were a report card, I'd give the O/Line a C- for the season.

gamecock88 12-09-2013 08:22 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
They showed great improvement over last season, especially early on. They did seem to revert back somewhat over the end of the season. Still tons of room for improvement but the unit as a whole has gotten better. SE coaching style should get a B. OL play would also score a B.

Dizzy01 12-09-2013 09:08 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
They did fine against bigger and slower dlines but struggled against smaller faster units. There are some big guys on the line but they aren't exactly the most mobile group. I think a lot of people equate size to effectiveness on the oline but that isn't always the case. This is one unit that was largely ignored in recruiting for the first few years of Spurrier's tenure here so they are still dealing with lack of quality depth and actual players.

henmania 12-09-2013 09:11 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamecock88 (Post 4023217)
They showed great improvement over last season, especially early on. They did seem to revert back somewhat over the end of the season. Still tons of room for improvement but the unit as a whole has gotten better. SE coaching style should get a B. OL play would also score a B.


I think a B is too high. This OL has talent but the fundamentals leave something To be desired. Corey Robinson should be further along in his development but he is not there. I would give him a C.

ra742002 12-09-2013 09:16 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4023212)
Honest Opinion:

He did a better job this year than in his previous 3 years, BUT
with the experience, depth and SIZE he had to work with, overall I'd call
it an Underachievement. .. Sorry if I hurt the feelings of the Coach Elliott
supporters, but we have faced much smaller, and much less talented
programs who do a MUCH better job on their O/Line than ours. Our O/Line
has faced "so-so" D/lines this season and struggled to hold their own
against them. We did very good "In Spots" in both the run and pass blocking
but as I said, overall, we underachieved on the line this year. If you gave
our talent, and our size and depth to O/Line coaches like the ones at
UT, or Florida etc... This unit would be much (MUCH) better than what they
put out here. I'm convinced of that. ALSO...If you look at the O/Line of
Auburns, and what their O/line coach has done there vs what we've done
here it puts things in perspective. Last year their O/line was average
AT BEST. This year, they might well be the best O/line in the country
and with a much more complicated scheme of blocking than ours here.

I'll give credit to Coach Elliott for the improvements. It was "OK" for
the most part. HOWEVER, "OK" isn't good for the size and experience we
had going for us this year on our Line. .... Someone stated it above and
was accurate in saying that we also seemed to have gotten worse as
the season went on rather than improve.

If it were a report card, I'd give the O/Line a C- for the season.

I will agree that I expected more from our OL this year. However, to say that Aubie's blocking schemes are more complicated is dead wrong. They run the zone plays just like we do, they run the power O play just like we do. They dress it up with a jet sweep and a fake here and a fake there, and they may read a different person, depending on the play, but it's still a zone step and get on your track and block the man in the way. It's the same scheme. The difference is teaching the landmarks, the progression, the steps, etc.

LegalCock 12-09-2013 09:18 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
I agree with spurticus. I was going to say a B, but that would be a bit of a curve because if we didn't have 28 and a very mobile QB I'm sure they would have looked a letter grade or more worse.

sc455 12-09-2013 10:38 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
C is too low..b-...

LegalCock 12-09-2013 10:59 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Also, gotta' note we had a couple of pretty key injuries in the interior of the OL and never really seemed to recover 100% from that.

PageUSC 12-09-2013 11:50 AM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Decent. Grade C+.

There were times when they took over games like at UCF when we ran the ball at will almost. Then there were times they couldn't block anyone like Tenn and struggling to run at all against Clemson and Florida.

So basically inconsistent. Not dominant enough to get us to the SEC championship or BCS

seamus 12-09-2013 12:05 PM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
I was expecting more of an improvement this year. But, overall I think the o-line did improve over last season. Looking at the clemsux game, they were run blitzing to stop Davis. By bring linebackers on blitzes to the A gaps it creates a situation where you have 5 linemen to block 6 opponents. Once SOS saw what clemsux was doing he called plays to allow Connor to run outside the tackles and be successful. It appeared that clemsux front four was dominating us, but it was scheme not players that didn't allow Davis to run inside. JMHO

2four2Gamecock 12-09-2013 12:19 PM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seamus (Post 4023380)
I was expecting more of an improvement this year. But, overall I think the o-line did improve over last season. Looking at the clemsux game, they were run blitzing to stop Davis. By bring linebackers on blitzes to the A gaps it creates a situation where you have 5 linemen to block 6 opponents. Once SOS saw what clemsux was doing he called plays to allow Connor to run outside the tackles and be successful. It appeared that clemsux front four was dominating us, but it was scheme not players that didn't allow Davis to run inside. JMHO

They stunted inside on every play and stuffed our RB's. That is why the QB run was so successful for us in the 2nd half, the QB can read the stunt and simply run away from it.

conwaycock2 12-09-2013 12:22 PM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
OL played very well at times & very poorly at times. Sometimes during different facets of the same game. Overall decent improvement but next year's line should be much better on paper & hopefully more consistent. Elliott has done a good job here & is a top recruiter so he is more than safe. Even if the proposition is that his unit is somewhat underachieving (I don't take that stance at this point) there is simply no way, given the unproven ability of other members of this staff to bring in talent, that you even consider making a change. USC's OL will never be stellar in pass protection because of the nature of the patterns the WR's run. A mobile QB is a huge plus & I expect the sack total to increase next year even though the OL should be better.

Dizzy01 12-09-2013 12:24 PM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
Just curious what leads people to believe guys aren't living up to potential or there is a lot of talent in the group? I know there are some big guys and names in the unit but why do you think the talent is there. In watching HS film on a few people that get mentioned a lot they were successful because they were simply bigger and stronger than the guys they were playing against. In the SEC that doesn't work and you can't always fix years of bad technique in a couple months or even a 5 year college career.

The Yancey 12-09-2013 12:27 PM

Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?
 
I think that he has done well. I was disappointed with our OL play against clem this year though. Overall I give him a solid B.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.