CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2014 might be a tough year (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201959)

PhoenixGamecock 12-10-2013 02:34 PM

2014 might be a tough year

Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?

Cockypantherfan 12-10-2013 02:53 PM

Re: 2014 might be a tough year

I feel pretty good about where we are offensively. Thompson will be fine as our starter and we have the WR, RB, and should have a quality O line.

Defense is where I am a bit concerned. LB will be improved, but d line won't be as good as in the past 2-4 years.. this unit will be solid, just not as dominating. Secondary is where we are in a lot of trouble. Going to have a lot of young talent getting a lot of PT. Corner is our biggest area of concern.

The schedule is a little tougher next year also. Not looking forward to the Auburn matchup @ Auburn.

cockybreeyan 12-10-2013 02:56 PM

I expect a great season. 10 wins would be a good start, and Atlanta would be better

Roosterboy 12-10-2013 02:57 PM

Still too early to guess.
Wait till signing day and we get our guys on campus.

carolinamyke 12-10-2013 02:59 PM

We should be pretty good on offense IF Thompson has a greatsr year. We have Georgia and Missouri at home as well as Tennessee at home. Florida will b struggling still I believe even if we play n swamp. I think 9-3 or better can happen. We just need CB play to be adequate. I believe Ward will have D playing well

USCBASEBALL1 12-10-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock (Post 4024984)
Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?

You need to check other Teams in our League. A lot of those Teams you mentioned lose a lot as well.

InletCock1989 12-10-2013 03:09 PM

Its the same every year, guys leave and we are worried about positions. This year Clowney, Vic, Quarles and Sutton; but that just means another guy will step up! But we need our LB's to play well. Our DLine will get handled on the edges with our guys too skinny

b381l 12-10-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InletCock1989 (Post 4025018)
Its the same every year, guys leave and we are worried about positions. This year Clowney, Vic, Quarles and Sutton; but that just means another guy will step up! But we need our LB's to play well. Our DLine will get handled on the edges with our guys too skinny

Dixon and Thomas aren't skinny......then add in Lamin, Dixon, Dukes and Griffin in the middle. Our DL next year will be fine. And this doesn't even count the rest of our rs guys.

Carolina-Beez 12-10-2013 03:18 PM

Is it ever easy?

KEmmrich 12-10-2013 03:26 PM

I thought 2013 was going to be very rough. The D-Line losses (two NFL'ers) and all the LB's meant the D had to struggle (and they did). The "O" improved, but they were still hot and cold at times. 10-2 was a major achievement for this team (maybe even an over-achievement). The team showed a lot of heart to gut out a bunch of close wins. We were only an average SEC team for most of the games.

I would like to see the "O" carry the load in 2014 and let the "D" run wild.

henmania 12-10-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock (Post 4024984)

Actually I'm very excited about 2014 except I'm worried about the corners, particularly without Christian. The schedule sets up well except for auburn on the road. Spurrier say the team will be more talented overall next year. But the corner problem is bad. Really bad. I know we have had an unusual rash of injuries but wow.

mick66 12-10-2013 03:27 PM

As mentioned, you have to look at what the teams we play will lose as well. I expect 11-1, 10-2 again. @ Auburn is looking the toughest, and every other game we should be favored or only dogs by a few points. How this class finishes out at DE and CB will be a huge factor, as will how DT performs as The Man. If he struggles, my guess is that we'll see a lot of Davis/Wilds/Williams, as well as Cooper and maybe even Noso in the mix at QB.

rosstheboss 12-10-2013 03:28 PM

I will assume we win all of our home games until someone proves otherwise.
That's 7 wins. @vandy, @uk look to be w's so thats 9.
@auburn, @ florida, @clemson will be tough but we have an open date before florida, a fcs team before auburn and a cupcake at home before clemson.
All things considered the schedule sets up really nice in terms of order of facing teams. Our hardest games all come towards the end so we have time to get better. Win at home and we could be 7-0 going to auburn and then who knows

b381l 12-10-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosstheboss (Post 4025039)
I will assume we win all of our home games until someone proves otherwise.
That's 7 wins. @vandy, @uk look to be w's so thats 9.
@auburn, @ florida, @clemson will be tough but we have an open date before florida, a fcs team before auburn and a cupcake at home before clemson.
All things considered the schedule sets up really nice in terms of order of facing teams. Our hardest games all come towards the end so we have time to get better. Win at home and we could be 7-0 going to auburn and then who knows

I don't think we will be favored against A&M, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson....and we may not be favored against Missouri or Florida. I'm not saying we'll lose all these, but the law of averages catches up with you in games where you aren't the favorite.

JT21 12-10-2013 03:39 PM

Definitely going to be tough, but fun. Love having that many big games.

Way too early but as of now, I don't think you can call any of Texas A&M, UGA, Missouri, Auburn, Florida, or Clemson sure wins. Assuming Marshall returns, @Auburn is a probable loss. Tennessee will be tough as well.

Any record from 5-2 to 2-5 in those games wouldn't be terribly surprising.

BlueEagles06 12-10-2013 03:41 PM

Watch out for Devin Wahington. Think he will be a good one at DE.

Cockypantherfan 12-10-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEagles06 (Post 4025055)
Watch out for Devin Wahington. Think he will be a good one at DE.

If he ever gets cleared to play again. That whole having an undiagnosed concussion then suffering another concussion on top of that makes it tough to bounce back.

rosstheboss 12-10-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4025049)
I don't think we will be favored against A&M, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson....and we may not be favored against Missouri or Florida. I'm not saying we'll lose all these, but the law of averages catches up with you in games where you aren't the favorite.

I think you are underestimating home great our home field advantage has become.
pretty sure we will be favored against a&m. no johnny football kills their team.
Uga at home is tough but they lose some great players and a new qb in his first road start is a huge advantage for us.
clemson loses boyd, watkins, mcdowell, beasley, catanzarro, maybe bryant and some other defensive players. we own them.
auburn is the only game you can look at and say yep we will probably lose that game.

U-Dub Gamecock 12-10-2013 03:53 PM

I'm more worried about 2015... We lose a bunch on offense after next year...

SWAGGGA 12-10-2013 04:04 PM

Our offense will rack up yards. Will that translate into points? Idk. We will turn tge ball over way more with a gunslinger at QB.

The good thing is UGA loses murray. Clemson loses boyd. Most likly watkins. And chad morris. Flordia sucks. I kno there are more i just cant think of.

Bottom line is we will rack up yards. Im willing to say next years offense will be the best under spurrier. We'll see. It will be a totally different offense then weve had the past three years.