CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   ALL SEC TEAMS ANNOUNCED (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201963)

garnetmike 12-10-2013 05:13 PM

ALL SEC TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Didn't see this anywhere, but if it is feel free to delete mine or merge it.

Only JD and Kelci made first teams and Mike Davis, cornerback Victor Hampton and spur Sharrod Golightly made the second team.

Many would question the logic of voting...but in my mind while Shaw, Davis and others were VIPs as Gamecocks and helped us win...I would argue that perhaps only Kelci deserved first team honors.

Regardless - glad JD made it. Shaw was GREAT but certainly not the best QB in the league in terms of putting up the kind of numbers that Manziel did or others really.

I would personally PICK SHAW as MY first QB over any in the league, but he wasn't the best statistically which is what ALL SEC usually is based on.

Same with Mike Davis. He was awesome, but not the number one back in the league when all the dust settled. He tailed off the last three games with injuries, etc.

Anyway I'm proud of our guys as a team, but obviously we were not elite if you look at the all SEC deal.

"I'll hang up and listen..."

ShutTheSuccop 12-10-2013 05:16 PM

Re: ALL SEC TEAMS ANNOUNCED

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=201919

As for Mike Davis...I really think he would have been All-SEC had Wilds not gotten hurt...he will be fantastic next year and in the bowl (if we can block for him)

U-Dub Gamecock 12-10-2013 06:29 PM

True dat... Davis had a combined 74 yards in our last 3 games (Did not play against CCU)... That killed any chance of being named 1st team... That and the kid from Auburn is going to NYC for the Heisman...

crowcutta 12-10-2013 09:29 PM

his last 6 quarters are what killed him, still think he was clearly the best all around back up until those last 6 quarters where he produced next to nothing and still ended up 2nd in the league in yards from scrimmage. he was averaging over 150+ through 9 games and had a ridiculous scrimmage yardage streak that was unmatched in the sec since 2000. hes still as deserving as anyone.

mason clearly at this point is first team because of his last two games and overall volume of yards and touchdowns but you can basically put davis, hill, yeldon, and gurley's names in a hat.

its understandable why shaw didnt make 1st team, but i think he was as good as any qb in the sec this year. his completion pct took a hit starting with the tennessee game, but that 21 td 1 int ratio is something that hasnt been exceeded possibly ever in the sec while adding 511 yards on the ground and 5 td.

specifically for the backfield, id say it was elite.

Goofyboy 12-10-2013 11:17 PM

I was delighted at Golightly's improvement, but the 2nd team LB really surprised me. They did have about 6 second team LB's. I wonder how we'll do on the SEC freshman team.

ZenUSC 12-11-2013 12:17 AM

Davis had two fumbles vs Mizzou and under a hundred lards his last three games. However, teams stacked the box thinking that stopping him would bring a victory. This was a failed strategy. All it did was keep Davis off the All SEC 1st team.

JD is a force on the field even when teams run away from him. If he were a baseball player they'd walk him with the bases loaded rather than risk a grand slam.

Shaw is a role player. A very good role player. He basically just tried to limit turnovers in order to win. He missed open receivers on a regular basis.
There are undeniably better QBs in the SEC. No shame in that. I like a QB that is aware of his limitations. A mans got to know his limitations.

Nureye 12-11-2013 12:52 AM

When I read the thread title I was like, "I know all of the SEC teams. What did they announce?"

ZenUSC 12-11-2013 03:39 AM

can we combine?

Clowneygotcha 12-11-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4025243)
True dat... Davis had a combined 74 yards in our last 3 games (Did not play against CCU)... That killed any chance of being named 1st team... That and the kid from Auburn is going to NYC for the Heisman...

Yeh becuase when your entire offense is built on you rushing the ball 25 times.. that is some how Heisman worthy

kingoftheroost 12-11-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4025619)
When I read the thread title I was like, "I know all of the SEC teams. What did they announce?"

LOL. When I saw the title, I had to click on it just to see what it was talking about. Hyphens are our friends.

I rarely get bothered by these post-season awards/honors when our guys don't get named, but in this one case, I have to say I agree with everyone who has said it's outrageous Shaw didn't even make honorable mention. Most, if not all, of the SEC head coaches all praise Shaw and talk about ho he's an outstanding player/leader. I realize his pure numbers might not warrant being named to the team, but how do these people not at least give him honorable mention? That's a slap to the face a great player.