CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Interesting Stats (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202013)

GamecockinILL 12-11-2013 10:58 PM

Interesting Stats

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec
"Records against ranked opponents at the time of the game provide some insight, but a better gauge is how a team fared against the top 25 in the final BCS standings, which takes into account the two human polls and the computer rankings."
I've been harping on this lately...it bugs the heck out of me when articles reference how many ranked teams a team played....well that's interesting. But how many of them FINISHED ranked? That's the real measure of your competition.
"In the SEC, Auburn (4-1) had the best record this season against top-25 teams in the final BCS standings. South Carolina (3-1) was second.

In fact, the Gamecocks were the only team in the country this season with wins over three teams ranked in the top 15 of the final BCS standings."
NUFF SAID!

"Of the 10 teams playing in BCS bowls this season, counting the VIZIO BCS National Championship, four failed to record wins over top-15 teams in the final BCS standings: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and UCF."

Gotta admit that the Bama info here is a bit surprising

"In the last three seasons, LSU’s 10 victories over teams that finished in the top 25 of the final BCS standings are the most nationally. Alabama, South Carolina and Stanford each have nine wins over the last three seasons."

THIS....MY FRIENDS...IS TALL COTTON!

"How does that compare to some other teams nationally during that same three-year span?

Notre Dame has seven wins, which is more than Oklahoma State (six), Clemson, Oregon and Wisconsin (five each), Florida State, Ohio State and Oklahoma (four each) and Texas (two).

Turning back to the SEC, if you extend it out over the last five seasons, Alabama (16-6) has the best record. LSU (14-11) is right behind the Crimson Tide.

They’re the only two SEC teams over the last five seasons with winning records against teams that finished in the top 25 of the final BCS standings.

Les Miles, during his career at LSU, is 27-18 against top-25 teams in the final BCS standings. Alabama’s Nick Saban is 19-10.

Here’s a look at how all 14 teams in the SEC have fared in the last five seasons against top 25 teams in the final BCS standings:
Alabama: 16-6 (.727)
LSU: 14-11 (.560)
Auburn: 13-13 (.500)
South Carolina: 10-10 (.500)
Arkansas: 7-17 (.292)
Missouri: 5-14 (.263)
Georgia: 6-17 (.261)
Florida: 6-18 (.250)
Texas A&M: 5-17 (.227)
Ole Miss: 3-20 (.130)
Vanderbilt: 1-15 (.063)
Kentucky: 1-16 (.059)
Tennessee: 1-21 (.045)
Mississippi State 0-24 (.000)"

All in all....I'd say we've come a LOOOONGGG way from where we used to be!

PyroPepper 12-12-2013 05:49 PM

Re: Interesting Stats

You can't spell BCS without "BS". I'll be glad to see it go.

Cockypantherfan 12-12-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockinILL (Post 4026619)
"Records against ranked opponents at the time of the game provide some insight, but a better gauge is how a team fared against the top 25 in the final BCS standings, which takes into account the two human polls and the computer rankings."
I've been harping on this lately...it bugs the heck out of me when articles reference how many ranked teams a team played....well that's interesting. But how many of them FINISHED ranked? That's the real measure of your competition.
"In the SEC, Auburn (4-1) had the best record this season against top-25 teams in the final BCS standings. South Carolina (3-1) was second.

In fact, the Gamecocks were the only team in the country this season with wins over three teams ranked in the top 15 of the final BCS standings."
NUFF SAID!

"Of the 10 teams playing in BCS bowls this season, counting the VIZIO BCS National Championship, four failed to record wins over top-15 teams in the final BCS standings: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and UCF."

"In the last three seasons, LSU’s 10 victories over teams that finished in the top 25 of the final BCS standings are the most nationally. Alabama, South Carolina and Stanford each have nine wins over the last three seasons."

"How does that compare to some other teams nationally during that same three-year span?

Notre Dame has seven wins, which is more than Oklahoma State (six), Clemson, Oregon and Wisconsin (five each), Florida State, Ohio State and Oklahoma (four each) and Texas (two).

Turning back to the SEC, if you extend it out over the last five seasons, Alabama (16-6) has the best record. LSU (14-11) is right behind the Crimson Tide.

They’re the only two SEC teams over the last five seasons with winning records against teams that finished in the top 25 of the final BCS standings.

Les Miles, during his career at LSU, is 27-18 against top-25 teams in the final BCS standings. Alabama’s Nick Saban is 19-10.

Here’s a look at how all 14 teams in the SEC have fared in the last five seasons against top 25 teams in the final BCS standings:

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Pts sent.

BornCocky'86 12-12-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

NUFF SAID!

very intriguing stuff, thanks.

qcgamecock 12-13-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

NUFF SAID!

^^^^This, Great post!!

Gamecock_Aholic 12-13-2013 01:37 AM

That's some great info right there. Sucks that the BCS works the way it does.

lakefire 12-13-2013 02:29 AM

Wonder what it looks like for the past 3 years.

qcgamecock 12-13-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakefire (Post 4027526)
Wonder what it looks like for the past 3 years.

WOW

InletCock1989 12-13-2013 04:18 AM

Good post sir

Spurticus 12-13-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

NUFF SAID!

Always keep your eyes open, and focus on the BIG PICTURE guys.... Stuff
like this right here is what we need to dwell on instead of the one loss to
UT this season. .... It stung, but in the light of what we have accomplished
and what we still are building, THIS is where we need to focus our attention
and be thankful for. ... NO, we haven't broken into that top level yet,
and YES, it's taking us a while to get there. Other teams have done it
in less time, but were "one hit wonders". Saying that some teams seem
to get there quick, but where are they several years afterwards ? ... We
are building a program, and not just a championship season. We stumbled
but we're still on course for greater accomplishments by continuous
solid recruiting classes, good coaching hires and facility upgrades. We're
not a "Big Name" and we haven't gotten the respect from the BCS idiots
over the past few years, but that's gone now. We need to continue to
build and continue to stay among the nations best 10-12 teams and we'll
get there soon. ......... THE BIG PICTURE GUYS.