CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spurrier on South Carolina before the 2005 season.. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202098)

superfly 12-13-2013 08:15 PM

Spurrier on South Carolina before the 2005 season..

I had never heard this before but it explains the statements of the last few days. The man wants to be here....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...lumn?track=rss

"The fans up here are starving," Spurrier told me then. "They're looking for anything to be excited about. We have a chance to do things here that have never been done. I'd rather win one [SEC] division title here than five more there [at Florida]."

AikenRooster 12-13-2013 10:40 PM

Re: Spurrier on South Carolina before the 2005 season..

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfly (Post 4028049)
I had never heard this before but it explains the statements of the last few days. The man wants to be here....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...lumn?track=rss

"The fans up here are starving," Spurrier told me then. "They're looking for anything to be excited about. We have a chance to do things here that have never been done. I'd rather win one [SEC] division title here than five more there [at Florida]."

Thanks for posting ... that was a good read. :clap:

grannycock 12-14-2013 03:19 AM

Coach seems to be very proud to be at Carolina, it is mutual as far as I am concerned.

gocockswyn 12-14-2013 09:54 AM

:thumbsup:Gotta love Coach Spurrier!

usc81 12-14-2013 11:20 AM

Like a lot of things in life, you have to have lived through the lean years to fully appreciate what we have now. Spurrier has done what no one else could for over 100 years - make us a consistent top 10 team, and (more importantly [to me at least]) dominating Clemson. No amount of gratitude would be enough. Long may he grace our sideline.

roosterdude21 12-14-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc81 (Post 4028299)
Like a lot of things in life, you have to have lived through the lean years to fully appreciate what we have now. Spurrier has done what no one else could for over 100 years - make us a consistent top 10 team, and (more importantly [to me at least]) dominating Clemson. No amount of gratitude would be enough. Long may he grace our sideline.

Now, everyone read this quote again but try to channel you inner Waylon Jennings voice over from the Dukes of Hazzard. Haha good stuff

usc81 12-14-2013 02:24 PM

Waylon Jennings is good, but I prefer something with a little more gravitas, say the guy that does the voice over in the old NFL films. Yea, that's would be more like it - with that NFL films music too.

Kazak 12-14-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Amen, brother.

grannycock 12-14-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

:clap:

BigAppleBucky 12-16-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfly (Post 4028049)

Wisconsin fans had a three decade drought before Barry Alvarez came along. Wisconsin was a regular on the Bottom Ten list. Folks still went to games, but it was to drink and have fun and watch the band. The games were embarrassing.

That having fun element has worn off a bit, but it's still there.

highpockets12 12-16-2013 11:56 AM

The same thing is starting to happen here with some fans,Spurrier has raised expections so high fans are ready to commit hairy carey if we lose a game.

cockfight21 12-16-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Truth

roosterdude21 12-16-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpockets12 (Post 4029657)
The same thing is starting to happen here with some fans,Spurrier has raised expections so high fans are ready to commit hairy carey if we lose a game.

http://media.giphy.com/media/PQhy2RFREzfC8/giphy.gif

ReadR00ster 12-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Every one appreciates it, but the payoff of all this improvement is to eventually to win a championship. If that never happens and we fall back into mediocrity and Spurrier leaves, it would have all been for nothing. The bottom line is. There is no such thing as an elite program that hasn't won a national or conference championship in a long time and that has never even been to to a BCS level bowl game. We have not elevated this program to some great level now and no number of wins against Clemson and Outback and Citrus bowl victories is going to accomplish that.

Woody7687 12-16-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4029692)
Every one appreciates it, but the payoff of all this improvement is to eventually to win a championship. If that never happens and we fall back into mediocrity and Spurrier leaves, it would have all been for nothing. The bottom line is. There is no such thing as an elite program that hasn't won a national or conference championship in a long time and that has never even been to to a BCS level bowl game. We have not elevated this program to some great level now and no number of wins against Clemson and Outback and Citrus bowl victories is going to accomplish that.

TRUTH!!

I hope he isnt just content with 10 wins and the perception that the University and fans will always welcome him back. He has to win an SEC or like the guys said above all these wins will have been for not.

Carolina4Life 12-16-2013 01:14 PM

Spurrier on South Carolina before the 2005 season..

There really are a good bit of Gator fans that pull for SC when we aren't playing them.

Ericvol2096 12-16-2013 05:32 PM

Inteersting to think how far TN's fallen since the day Spurrier has been hired and how far SC has risen.

I for one won't be sad when he retires!