CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Musical's secretly liked by dudes. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202105)

TS-45 Gamecock 12-14-2013 10:53 AM

Musical's secretly liked by dudes.

Going with the theme of popular movies that everyone hates, I though I would start a thread about musical's that dudes secretly enjoy:

Here is my list.

1. The Sound of Music - Julie Andrews nuff said.
2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
3. My Fair Lady
4. Singin in the rain.

For the ladies: Movies your guys complain about watching but you know he secretly likes.

cocky0 12-14-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Musical's secretly liked by dudes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS-45 Gamecock (Post 4028282)
2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

That is a good one. I also like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and The King and I.

TheMule 12-14-2013 11:34 AM

Little Shop of Horrors

2000grad 12-14-2013 12:14 PM

Les mis

theo_robbins 12-14-2013 12:15 PM

Book of Mormon

GH 12-14-2013 12:30 PM

Sweeney Todd

Newsies

Wicked

Shakeaspeares complete works (abridged)

Moonwalker

catdaddy66 12-14-2013 12:55 PM

1) West Side Story

2) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

3) A Chorus Line (and there's nothing wrong with that lol)

4) Moulon Rouge

spareparts 12-14-2013 01:13 PM

Jesus Christ Superstar

INTENSE!!!

Hair flying all over the place, smokin hot hippie chicks WHO ARE CHRISTIANS, pipes, bongs, and rolling papers at the Last Supper (also implied, in the song lyrics, is they ate mushrooms), and a BITCHIN soundtrack with weird songs with all sorts of impossible time signatures, heavy HEAVY riffage like a cross between a 1969 version of Jane's Addiction and Mars Volta... PLUS you have an INSANE amount of trippy dashiki-wearing scantily-clad hippie chicks walking around Israel stoned out of their frickin minds PRAISING THE NAME OF JESUS.

Deal with it

THIS is the dubbed-in version of Ian Gillian (who was the singer for Deep Purple) on vocals - MUCH better version when he hits that high note like Robert Plant

There was also some involvement by the drummer for the Grateful Dead and David Crosby or something.

EDIT: The lead guitarist for the album was originally with Joe Cocker's band

The other guitarist jammed with Paul McCartney as a solo artist and also played with Humble Pie, Fairport Convention, and eventually Stealers Wheel

The keyboard/piano player jammed with Clapton for a while

The drummer was the drummer from Joe Cocker's band from Woodstock and played with Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood

The bass player played with freakin EVERYONE during that time, Frampton, Joe Cocker, and Ted Nugent among others

Metalrush24 12-14-2013 03:33 PM

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. West Side Story
3. The Sound of Music
4. 7 brides for 7 brothers
5. Led Mis
6. Fiddler on the Roof

To be honest, I grew up having to watch most of these, so I learned early on to focus on the historical aspect of them, though, I usually don't mind that it's a musical.

usc90grad 12-14-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalrush24 (Post 4028449)
1. Phantom of the Opera

Beat me too it. That soundtrack is absolutely incredible.

palmettosc 12-14-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalrush24 (Post 4028449)
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. West Side Story
3. The Sound of Music
4. 7 brides for 7 brothers
5. Led Mis
6. Fiddler on the Roof

To be honest, I grew up having to watch most of these, so I learned early on to focus on the historical aspect of them, though, I usually don't mind that it's a musical.

Never knew Zeppelin did a musical.

Cockypantherfan 12-14-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4028452)
Beat me too it. That soundtrack is absolutely incredible.

It really is an awesome soundtrack. I remember listening to it as a kid on car rides with my parents. Rocking out to a tape of Phantom of the Opera haha.

GamecockInHell 12-14-2013 06:03 PM

I know I'm old, but I kind of liked "Hair" (NOT "Hairspray!) and "Tommy"

The Yancey 12-14-2013 06:12 PM

My Fair Lady is the greatest musical ever created. Anything done by Andrew Lloyd Webber is good. Saw Wicked last year and it was good. Mel Brooks The Producers is classic. A Chorus Line, The Fantastics, and all of the old classics that gave rise to the Great American Songbook. I got hooked on these when I was in school in Europe and saw Lila Kedrova and Judi Dench do Cabaret at the Palace theater in London in 1968.

Regalcock 12-14-2013 06:25 PM

I still like west side story.

SirBigSpur 12-14-2013 06:30 PM

Urinetown.

Random plug for my USC club time. I'm in a musical theater organization here at Carolina called "Off Off Broadway". As students we write, direct, and perform our own reviews each semester. Our last review "Off Off Brothel" raised over 500 dollars for the Polaris Project, an organization committed to end human trafficking.

Even though I'm a straight guy, I love being in this club. The music is alright, but there is about 60 of us, with 4/5 of our members being girls, with many of them in sororities! It has quickly become my family here at Carolina.

Next semester we'll be writing our own review again and doing Legally Blonde as a musical.

TS-45 Gamecock 12-14-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4028519)
My Fair Lady is the greatest musical ever created. Anything done by Andrew Lloyd Webber is good. Saw Wicked last year and it was good. Mel Brooks The Producers is classic. A Chorus Line, The Fantastics, and all of the old classics that gave rise to the Great American Songbook. I got hooked on these when I was in school in Europe and saw Lila Kedrova and Judi Dench do Cabaret at the Palace theater in London in 1968.

I can't disagree with you on on My Fair Lady. It is in the top 3 but for my money The Sound of Music is the greatest ever created.

I mean come on man, Julie Andrews...Mary freaking Poppins. I gotta a little thing for Julie Andrews.

Trivia for you: Marni Nixon was the singing voice for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. She also dubbed voices on the King and I and West Side Story.

Julie Andrews man, Julie Andrews..

sandstorm2001 12-14-2013 08:15 PM

The Best Little Whore House in Texas

The Producers

GH 12-14-2013 08:31 PM

The Wire: The Musical

catdaddy66 12-14-2013 09:58 PM

"Hedwig and the Angry Inch"