CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Football staff to stay intact this offseason? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202117)

IslandCock 12-14-2013 09:24 PM

Football staff to stay intact this offseason?

Seems like the past few years leading into the bowl game there have been some rumors of assistant coaches leaving after the season. I haven't heard a smidgen other than Spurrier responding to a question in an interview about Ward being ready for a head coaching gig (which Spurrier acknowledged that he was). I like the fact that Spurrier encourages guys to take promotions when they present themselves.

Has anyone heard anything or do you think we'll stay intact for 2014?

YouCanNeverTell 12-14-2013 09:34 PM

Re: Football staff to stay intact this offseason?

I haven't heard anything but you really never know until the chips start to fall. And with Mack Brown out at UT there could be an avalanche over the next few months.

Acockolypse Now 12-14-2013 10:19 PM

Biggest worry would be someone coming after Elliott or Ward. Right now looks like we'll stay intact.

Order 66 12-14-2013 10:29 PM

We always lose one....who saw Lawing last year?

CoverTwo 12-14-2013 10:45 PM

Have to wait until the coaches' convention, imo. That's where/when all of the interviews and contact happens.

ConwayGamecock 12-14-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4028670)
Have to wait until the coaches' convention, imo. That's where/when all of the interviews and contact happens.

Is that before or after NSD? A lot of coaches make moves once the prospects submit their LOIs, too.....

IslandCock 12-15-2013 02:30 AM

Didn't even know about this convention... like to hear more.

Travelin 12-15-2013 08:41 AM

I think once the dust settles, we will lose one or two and Spurrier will replace them with someone better or just as good.

The Yancey 12-15-2013 10:10 AM

No one is getting the axe and no one is being encouraged to find another position. I don't see any lateral transfers happening. We only lose someone if an assistant gets a coordinator job or a coordinator gets a HC gig. We won't know the landscape until the smoke clears from the carnage started by the Texas domino.

Travelin 12-15-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4028829)
No one is getting the axe and no one is being encouraged to find another position. I don't see any lateral transfers happening. We only lose someone if an assistant gets a coordinator job or a coordinator gets a HC gig. We won't know the landscape until the smoke clears from the carnage started by the Texas domino.

I think the good news is none of our asst's are connected to the people being named as candidates for these potential openings. If Saban left, then we might have been in trouble. If Franklin leaves Vandy, we might be in trouble. I doubt coaching changes fron that school in the upstate will affect us, but they spend a fortune on asst's to cover up for Dabo's lack of coaching ability. If Chad leaves or their DC, the taters could afford some SEC asst's and start a domino affect within the SEC. A lot can happen, and don't get me wrong, I would like to see our staff stay intact for another year. I even think Joe Robinson is going to have a very good Special Teams next year.

If Deke or Botkin truly have bad feelings about one another, one of them might look to go elsewhere, but they appear to have buried the hatchet.

Acockolypse Now 12-15-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

but they spend a fortune on asst's to cover up for Dabo's lack of coaching ability
That is so damned accurate. Want to know why they won't leave? Head coaching money without head coaching headaches. Plus, a boss that loves the mic enough that he stays out of your way talking about greatness and inthinkability.

cockybreeyan 12-15-2013 04:16 PM

I could see Elliot or Mangus being pursued

B&GSpur 12-15-2013 09:10 PM

With Texas now open we'll have to wait until the dance settles, unless Texas picks someone from the Pro ranks.

usc1 12-15-2013 11:24 PM

Don't be shocked if Jr. leaves after this year.

IslandCock 12-15-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4029378)

Random gut feeling or you have information?

Carolina4Life 12-15-2013 11:34 PM

Jr leaves for what? I mean, where would he go and get a higher position?

garnetchicken 12-16-2013 03:51 PM

Possibly Sands gets interest from The Citadel.

4gamecockfb 12-16-2013 03:55 PM

if he does leave, good for him. to be honest, I rather he go than any other assistants.

evilpoptart 12-16-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4029378)

Not saying hes done a bad job, but I would be happy for him to get promoted somewhere else and we get someone who can recruit some better players. It seems like recruiting here has hit a plateau and I kinda feel like that has a lot to do with our school's recruiting style. How many prospects that this program wanted decided to drop us because our recruiting would go cold? This program has won 41 games over the last 4 years with the chance to win another in a couple weeks, how is USC not in on more elite level prospects that are turning out to be stars? Gilmore, Lattimore, and Clowney were great players for us, but why we cant get get those types of guys every year and get several of them a year at that? How are Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Maryland beating us for prospects our coaches want when we are winning 10+ games a year and they are lucky to get to be bowl eligible?

Jr has done a solid job bringing in high character kids and our staff has done a great job developing them. But why does it feel like we never give ourselves a chance with the superstar national recruits unless they come from SC? It just seems like the last few years we end up losing a game where if we just had one or two extra players here or there that are studs could have made the difference.

BeatBamaTwice 12-16-2013 06:17 PM

Yes, our former assistant head coach is now playing for a national championship. Who would have begrudged him that honor? Who among us possibly saw that coming? Not me. But like most of you, I'll certainly be pulling for him.