CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Steve Spurrier Field at Williams Brice Stadium (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202124)

gamecockfootball62 12-15-2013 02:10 AM

Steve Spurrier Field at Williams Brice Stadium

<p>Welcome to Steve Spurrier Field at Williams Brice Stadium. Before or After he retires,,, I'd love to name it in the very near future. He has given us so much why can't we do something for him that is FOREVER.</p>

roosterdude21 12-15-2013 02:21 AM

Re: Steve Spurrier Field at Williams Brice Stadium

I know how you feel about wanting to honor him for all that he's done for the program and university. I just don't think he'd even accept it before actually winning something here. Kinda like how he got pissed when they gave him a Gatorade bath after beating Florida for the first time as our coach. Even though our heart is in the right place, I think he'd look at us like we were crazy.

ktguen 12-15-2013 02:23 AM

Nope. Win a National Championship and maybe it could be discussed but not a minute before then.

He's done so much for this school, I agree. But that's a huge honor and should be reserved.

MisterClowney 12-15-2013 02:24 AM

If he wins an SEC or National Championship, then I support the idea. I don't think he'd support it if he didn't win one.

ACPhilson 12-15-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4028749)
Nope. Win a National Championship and maybe it could be discussed but not a minute before then.

He's done so much for this school, I agree. But that's a huge honor and should be reserved.

As much as I love SOS, I agree. He cost us the SEC Title shot at UT with an play calling. 4&2 and we punt. Shit happens, I get it. But he needs to win the SEC or a Natty before we name the field after him.

InletCock1989 12-15-2013 02:45 AM

Not just yet! The old man isn't done calling plays just yet!

trapper82 12-15-2013 08:24 AM

When he wins an SEC championship here, that should be done. I have said this a few times on other threads as wheel, when it happens the stadium could be called "The Spur" for a nice double meaning.

Travelin 12-15-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4028783)
When he wins an SEC championship here, that should be done. I have said this a few times on other threads as wheel, when it happens the stadium could be called "The Spur" for a nice double meaning.

What's wrong with Willy B's nickname that's been around for 40 years or longer, The Cockpit. It's the perfect name for a teams stadium that is known as the Gamecocks.

He'll have to win a NC or two, to name the field after him. That's not something you want to change any time soon.

There's a lot more things we can do to show our appreciation for SOS than naming the same field a new coach would be coaching on.

TKE226 12-15-2013 08:56 AM

no no no.

AikenRooster 12-15-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPhilson (Post 4028754)
As much as I love SOS, I agree. He cost us the SEC Title shot at UT with an play calling. 4&2 and we punt. Shit happens, I get it. But he needs to win the SEC or a Natty before we name the field after him.

We were on our own 30 yard line. I don't have a problem with punting, but he wasted the 2 timeouts, before making the decision. After he wasted the 2 timeouts, he should have went for it. Spurrier has wasted timeouts before, and I think the last time, before that, was the LSU game, last year. That Tennessee game cost us.

3MTA3 12-15-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4028783)

Agree with this. Plus, it'd irk Florida fans when they came to Columbia.

But not until a conference championship.

Flameout12 12-15-2013 09:04 AM

He gets paid $3 mil/yr plus. It's not like he's a volunteer. Leave it as it is.

GamecockInHell 12-15-2013 09:05 AM

I have to agree that its not time yet.

Flameout12 12-15-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPhilson (Post 4028754)
...cost us the SEC Title shot at UT with an play calling.

Not sure which coach did what, but play calling after we scored the 2 TDs did go into the tank. They adjusted while we got fancy and paid for it. Too cocky.

AtlGAMECOCK 12-15-2013 09:13 AM

He wins a few championships here as in national and sec we could but It would be crazy to do it now

uscfreek88 12-15-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterClowney (Post 4028750)
If he wins an SEC or National Championship, then I support the idea. I don't think he'd support it if he didn't win one.

exactly.....remember when we almost beat #1 Auburn and our fans clapped for our team and Spurrier said he never wanted to see that again b/c we just encouraged a losing team

Spurrier wants to win, and even he wouldnt agree with an honor like this unless he at least brings us one SEC title

uscfreek88 12-15-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4028787)
What's wrong with Willy B's nickname that's been around for 40 years or longer, The Cockpit. It's the perfect name for a teams stadium that is known as the Gamecocks.

He'll have to win a NC or two, to name the field after him. That's not something you want to change any time soon.

There's a lot more things we can do to show our appreciation for SOS than naming the same field a new coach would be coaching on.

i hate that name....i have never used it and i know no one personally who refers to our Stadium as the Cockpit

Travelin 12-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscfreek88 (Post 4028815)
i hate that name....i have never used it and i know no one personally who refers to our Stadium as the Cockpit

As of now, we have two nicknames for the stadium, The Cockpit and/or Willy B.

I prefer The Cockpit myself. Willy B is just short for Williams-Brice, that's it.

I understand The Cockpit has been around since the mid 70's and has lost it's luster of the years for whatever reason, same will happen if we name the field after a coach that's approaching 70 years of age. What if his predecessor wins more SEC Championships and National titles than SOS in a shorter amount of time? Will we change the name of the field again to appeal to the next generation?

Spurrier would have to build us into a dynasty to deserve naming the field after him and we are not a dynasty by any stretch of the imagination. Not yet, anyway.

trapper82 12-15-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4028787)

No one outside of a faction of fans calls it the Cockpit. The national media doesn't, nor has the school ever embraced it. I want a nickname we can use officially that everyone embraces. One we can actually put up in the stadium. A place two birds fight to the death won't ever make that list.

Every time I bring this up I get this response. I understand some of you like it, but the school doesn't endorse it and as long as you hold on to it there will never be the swamp, the horseshoe or between the hedges nickname the entire country recognizes.

All that said, definitely not time yet. He needs to win championships first.

Travelin 12-15-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4028837)
No one outside of a faction of fans calls it the Cockpit. The national media doesn't, nor has the school ever embraced it. I want a nickname we can use officially that everyone embraces. One we can actually put up in the stadium. A place two birds fight to the death won't ever make that list.

Every time I bring this up I get this response. I understand some of you like it, but the school doesn't endorse it and as long as you hold on to it there will never be the swamp, the horseshoe or between the hedges nickname the entire country recognizes.

All that said, definitely not time yet. He needs to win championships first.

So it's all my fault? Listen, I know what you're saying but some people that have been fans since the 70's, still saying the Cockpit a few times a year on message boards has nothing to do with the University not accepting a permanent nickname for the stadium. The University of South Carolina is in South Carolina where change happens very slowly. Don't blame a select few of fans, blame the board of trustees or the AD.

And yes, I would like for them to adopt a permanent nickname for the stadium that is used through the season by the fans and the media, but The Cockpit is all we have, Willy B. shouldn't even be in the discussion, but those are the two nicknames we have.

Come up with a better nickname and submit it to the University, but blaming some fans for the lack of a permanent nickname is ludicrous.