CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   CB's next year. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202175)

FearThethumbandDJ 12-16-2013 10:12 PM

CB's next year.

This is undoubtedly going to be like the LB situation we had this year, they will struggle all year long. Even if we do get DJ Smith or Wesley Green it is hard to imagine they could come in and play the way Vic and Jimmy did.

bcolinc 12-16-2013 10:16 PM

Re: CB's next year.

Hopefully out front 7 or so can get a lot more penetration early on to kinda help that out! I think we will be very athletic at the CB position though, so I'm sure they'll be ok back there

USCfootball 12-16-2013 10:32 PM

I see a lot of zone being played next year. While the corner position is a concern we should be fine at safety. I think a lot of cover 2 and 3 deep will be played with the emphasis of the DL getting the rush.

MWard 12-16-2013 10:35 PM

Rico, Ali, and Ronnie....then the FR we get this class. CB is wide open in '14.

InletCock1989 12-16-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWard (Post 4030113)

I don't think Ronnie Martin is playing anymore from what I've read on here.

JAYBEZ 12-16-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4030093)
This is undoubtedly going to be like the LB situation we had this year, they will struggle all year long. Even if we do get DJ Smith or Wesley Green it is hard to imagine they could come in and play the way Vic and Jimmy did.

Munerlynn played and was solid as a freshmen.

not that it will be an ideal situation either way

FearThethumbandDJ 12-16-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWard (Post 4030113)

Rico is transferring i thought, and if the poster below you is correct then ronnie isnt playing either. Sure hope we get DJ and Wesley although that is no guarantee.

catdaddy66 12-16-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4030131)
Rico is transferring i thought, and if the poster below you is correct then ronnie isnt playing either. Sure hope we get DJ and Wesley although that is no guarantee.

First I've heard of Rico transferring... link?

garnet_black215 12-16-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4030131)

That's the first I've heard of Rico transferring.

Are you thinking of Ahmad?

MWard 12-16-2013 11:56 PM

Rico is NOT transferring. Ahmad Christian transferred. Ronnie Martin has practiced all season and there hasn't been any indication of a transfer, to my knowledge.

henmania 12-17-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWard (Post 4030211)
Rico is NOT transferring. Ahmad Christian transferred. Ronnie Martin has practiced all season and there hasn't been any indication of a transfer, to my knowledge.

Rico isn't transferring. Ronnie just needs to get his head on straight. He is a ballet and a tough player. But heeds to show the coaches he is ready to play. Ali, I don't know much about.

cockybreeyan 12-17-2013 12:41 AM

Rico needs one more offseason and I think he will be good at one spot. If Ali or Ronnie (who needs to get with it first) can step up and take the other CB role, that'd be great. It'll be tough to place the burden of starting out of the box on a true frosh. Hopefully we can reel in a few more DB's this class to go with Al Harris and Darin Smalls. That being said, I've heard GREAT things about Smalls pure cover ability

fridayserv 12-17-2013 04:28 AM

Kane Whitehurst played CB in High School, might make a change to defense if needed.

rob1181 12-17-2013 12:22 PM

We have 9 scholarships receivers plus Kane Whitehurst coming into spring practice and 3 senior starters plus Shaq coming back. At corner we only have 3 scholarship corners are on the team, and none of them have ever played a down of football for USC. P. Cooper and Whitehurst are both backups who played corner in High School and Cooper practiced at Corner earlier this year and Whitehurst practiced at Corner for Arkansas before transferring. Other than moving a couple of Safeties over, they seem like the best bet for spring football

Thundercocks- Ho! 12-17-2013 12:44 PM

Are all the recruits going to be a 100% come spring? I thought I heard news of Smalls and Harris suffering some type of injury this year. Can't remember if one was a torn hamstring and another was an ACL injury. Hope I am wrong.

Garnet Gamecock 12-17-2013 12:53 PM

[quote=henmania;4030223]He is a ballet and a tough player. [quote]

Are ballet dancers tough? Didn't know that! LOL

Lynn Swann took ballet when he was a receiver for the Steelers, so I guess anything's possible.

Garnet Gamecock 12-17-2013 12:56 PM

We've got to use a "Zig Ziglar" approach to cornerback (thinking positive).

"Come to South Carolina. If you've got skills at cornerback, you won't be riding the pine."

I'd use that like crazy to recruit like hell.

Nothing is more important to an athlete than playing time.

InletCock1989 12-17-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1181 (Post 4030500)
We have 9 scholarships receivers plus Kane Whitehurst coming into spring practice and 3 senior starters plus Shaq coming back. At corner we only have 3 scholarship corners are on the team, and none of them have ever played a down of football for USC. P. Cooper and Whitehurst are both backups who played corner in High School and Cooper practiced at Corner earlier this year and Whitehurst practiced at Corner for Arkansas before transferring. Other than moving a couple of Safeties over, they seem like the best bet for spring football

LOL....Pharaoh Cooper will not be on defense!

GamecockInPA 12-17-2013 01:07 PM

Any chance a WR or two might be moved over? I bet Byrd would be a great CB, but that won't happen for obvious reasons. Maybe one of the guys who can't crack the WR rotation might see the field back there.

InletCock1989 12-17-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock (Post 4030525)
We've got to use a "Zig Ziglar" approach to cornerback (thinking positive).

"Come to South Carolina. If you've got skills at cornerback, you won't be riding the pine."

I'd use that like crazy to recruit like hell.

Nothing is more important to an athlete than playing time.

Most guys want to earn PT and not let it be given to them.