CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Civil War Descendants? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202197)

TKE226 12-17-2013 12:38 PM

Civil War Descendants?

I am trying to track my family heritage. Really trying to determine if I had relatives fight in the Civil War. I don't think on my dad's side I did, as from what I can gather family came over after the war. Very murky on my mom's side since there is some issue with true parents.

Figured there might be a good many on here who have descendants who fought in the Civil War...Curious as to the stories about them...if you don't mind sharing.

Thenardier 12-17-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Civil War Descendants?

I had family fight on both sides. On father's side they're from Alabama and the Greenes of Rhode Island. Mother's side their old SC families.

TaterHater1984 12-17-2013 03:00 PM

I had some that fought for the Confederacy. Some from both sides fought for Tennessee and some on my mom's side fought for NC.

markymark550 12-17-2013 03:08 PM

There is a family story on my mom's side that a relative was shot in the chest, but lived because he carried a thick, leather bound Bible in his front pocket that stopped the bullet. No clue if it is a true story or if it is something that grew into family legend. If I remember correctly, it was my great great grandfather fighting during the Civil War.

Lonnie 12-17-2013 03:43 PM

I'm related to both Lt. Theodore Adolphus Quattlebaum and General Paul Quattlebaum (among others)...

http://barnardebeecamp.com/Battle_of_Sumter.html

General Paul's grave, just east of Batesburg/Leesville
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...437_1369_n.jpg

Cocky Doodle 12-17-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKE226 (Post 4030510)
I am trying to track my family heritage. Really trying to determine if I had relatives fight in the Civil War. I don't think on my dad's side I did, as from what I can gather family came over after the war. Very murky on my mom's side since there is some issue with true parents.

Figured there might be a good many on here who have descendants who fought in the Civil War...Curious as to the stories about them...if you don't mind sharing.

I am related to Robert E Lee. Robert E Lee's Grandfather and my Great (times 5) Grandfather were brothers.

From the Revolutionary time I am related to Light Horse Harry Lee, & 2 Lee's that signed the Declaration of Independence

My last name is also Lee btw

Metalrush24 12-17-2013 03:50 PM

On my dad's side there was fighting on both sides- they were essentially mercenaries. Interesting story about that, though- my last name as it is today was born out of the civil war when it had been spelled 'Waite' but on the federal checks as payment for my ancestor's service, they spelled it 'Waitt' on accident, so he ended up taking the mislabeled name in order to be paid.

On my mother's side, however, they fought exclusively for the South and we actually have the sword that my great-great-great grandfather had while being cherrged to protect the cattle. A job that sounds boring, but it was a big deal because where he lived was directly where Sherman's army entered SC. The sword is French made and dates back to 1803(I think). I'll try to dig up a picture of it.

Unrelated to my family, my girlfriend is a direct descendant of Maj.Gen. John C.Breckinridge, who was the 14th US Vice President (youngest in history) and Presidential candidate prior to the war (he's the one most of the South voted for instead of Lincoln). During the war he was a major general and then secretary of war towards the end. He was supposedly the one who saved the records from being destroyed when Richmond was being attacked.

TheMule 12-17-2013 03:50 PM

My great great grandfather on Mom's side and great grandfather (father of the man in my avatar) on Dad's side were in Holcomb's Legion. On Dad's side I know that he was there during the siege of Petersburg when the Yankees dug that tunnel and tried to blow up the Rebels from underneath.

I ran across a site that allows you to type in your ancestor's name to find out if they were in the war but have since replaced PCs and don't have it bookmarked. I'll post the link if I run across it.

markymark550 12-17-2013 03:57 PM

I just realized something...none of us have descendants that fought in the Civil War. Ancestors, possibly...

Sorry, had to be that guy :lol:

TheMule 12-17-2013 04:01 PM

Here's the link. You should be able to find anyone who served in the war on either side.

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers...s-database.htm

markp_vip 12-17-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4030679)
I just realized something...none of us have descendants that fought in the Civil War. Ancestors, possibly...

Assuming time travel doesn't exist, and or some really old vampires chillin on cockytalk.:wink:

SwampFox 12-17-2013 08:00 PM

We knew about one great great grandfather on my Mom's side who served in the 1st SC Cavalry (aka Hampton's Cavalry Brigade). We knew the most about him because he was awarded a citation for his marksmanship by Robert E. Lee. This citation and the only known photo of him were lost in a fire years ago.

Since I got on Ancestry.com, I found 2 more Confederate great great grandfathers on Mom's side that we did not know about. Both of them were in SC Infantry regiments.

I also found a federal great great great grandfather who was in the 10th NY Cavalry.

brat 12-17-2013 09:36 PM

Both of my Great Great Grandfathers fought in Kershaw's Brigade, which was in almost every major battle of the war
(2nd Manassas, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, etc).

One was in the SC 15th (largely made up of troops from Richland and Kershaw Counties) and the other was in the SC 20th (mostly made up of troops form Lexington and Orangeburg Counties).

The one in the 15th was on my Dad's mother side of the family. He was shot in the hip in the Battle of the Wilderness and said that was the worst fighting he had ever seen. He lived until the mid 1920's and Dad said he has a vague memory of him and there is an old photo of him sitting on his lap as a toddler. Still had a long white beard.

The one in the 20th was on my Dad's father side of the family. The 20th originally served around Charleston and was sent to Virginia in 1864 just in time for the battle of Cold Harbor. On Christmas Eve of 1864, while standing around a campfire near Richmond, he just dropped dead and was buried nearby.

My ancestors in Lexington (then known as Lexington Court House, SC) have several stories about the visit of Sherman's troops on the way to Columbia, destroying property out of spite, stealing food, setting houses afire, killing animals, making the young boys in the family, both under the age of 5, fight each other for their amusement, etc.

spareparts 12-17-2013 09:50 PM

One of my ancestors had his arm amputated during service in the war. Not sure which battle. There are pictures of him with one arm.

Tuff city.

kingoftheroost 12-17-2013 10:50 PM

I would also love to find out if any of my distant family fought in the Civil War. I know my grandmother's family definitely owned slaves. There is even a really small "town" (in quotes because I'm not sure it's really a town) in SC named after her side of the family, but that doesn't necessarily mean she had relatives who fought in the Civil War.

Spur's Addiction 12-17-2013 11:26 PM

Being a 1st gen immigrant I don't have any. My ancestry is all about Swiss / German / French and in more distant times Rome.

My wife's family on the other hand has had ancestors in both the civil and the revolutionary wars.

Gamecock Rob 12-17-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4030679)

Yancey might...

rnecavs07 12-17-2013 11:55 PM

My great great great grandfather fought for the 26th NC and was killed at Gettysburg

GoldenSpur7 12-18-2013 12:56 AM

A bunch. All confederate.

b381l 12-18-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle (Post 4030671)
I am related to Robert E Lee. Robert E Lee's Grandfather and my Great (times 5) Grandfather were brothers.

From the Revolutionary time I am related to Light Horse Harry Lee, & 2 Lee's that signed the Declaration of Independence

My last name is also Lee btw

That is great. Do you happen to own of his personal items. Where do you live now.

I have a neighbor that has a Lee's hand written letter to one of his generals that's worth over 100k.