CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spurrier to Texas? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202357)

vegasmark 12-22-2013 06:13 PM

Spurrier to Texas?

Absolutely moronic article, but I thought I'd share

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ersen/4165505/

cockybusiness2 12-22-2013 06:17 PM

Re: Spurrier to Texas

No Chance

CarolinaGnB521 12-22-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasmark (Post 4034594)
Absolutely moronic article, but I thought I'd share

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ersen/4165505/

I don't think this article is as "moronic" as you think it is. All this article did was list names of the guys that Texas could possibly pursue, and then list guys that haven't been mentioned as possible candidates.

I mean, in the artile it even says
Quote:

1. Steve Spurrier: It's probably a long shot, but don't you at least have to ask? Spurrier is 68, which isn't ideal for this search, but he's a young 68 and doesn't seem like he's getting ready for retirement.
And all the article did was compliment a number of coaches, including Spurrier, and say why they'd be good/decent fits at Texas...

(I dream that one day people will read the full article before making a judgement post...when that day comes I will be so happy)

HeadCockFan 12-22-2013 06:28 PM

Nice thread title, nay.

ATLCock81 12-22-2013 06:33 PM

heck NO!

1801Green 12-22-2013 07:11 PM

I will revise my earlier Saban prediction.

Spurrier to Texas. Saban to South Carolina. Dabo to Alabama. Brad Scott to Clemson.

It's a done deal.

uga dawg 12-22-2013 07:25 PM

he would be the last one on the list to say yes, but I bet he has daydreamed about it a little bit.

one thing is for sure. Texas needs to get it right, because they have the money and the talent. if the right guy shows up to coach, it could be instant success. just look at Auburn.

ConwayGamecock 12-22-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uga dawg (Post 4034652)
he would be the last one on the list to say yes, but I bet he has daydreamed about it a little bit.

one thing is for sure. Texas needs to get it right, because they have the money and the talent. if the right guy shows up to coach, it could be instant success. just look at Auburn.

Spurrier is a SEC boy. He'd go to Alabama before he goes to Texas...

garnetmike 12-22-2013 08:23 PM

On the points of the article...it was good. Spurrier is about ready to retire...so it won't be him... However some of the other coaches were good mentions...including dabo.

With Texas talent the dude would win...

I don't like him...but I am surprised that some bigger program hasn't tried to get him...seeing as Clemson is in the automatic cake conference.

spareparts 12-22-2013 08:26 PM

Dabo to USC

robgusc76 12-22-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnetmike (Post 4034672)
On the points of the article...it was good. Spurrier is about ready to retire...so it won't be him... However some of the other coaches were good mentions...including dabo.

I don't like him...but I am surprised that some bigger program hasn't tried to get him...seeing as Clemson is in the automatic cake conference.

LOL you know how bad I got flamed for saying that about Dabo? People cant put down the garnet glasses to see that while the man isnt that great of a "coach" he's a heck of a salesman, and can recruit with the best of him. With texas money, he'll have no problem at all finding quality coaches.

Cockypantherfan 12-22-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4034675)
LOL you know how bad I got flamed for saying that about Dabo? People cant put down the garnet glasses to see that while the man isnt that great of a "coach" he's a heck of a salesman, and can recruit with the best of him. With texas money, he'll have no problem at all finding quality coaches.

So once again he would be a crappy HC?

CarolinaGnB521 12-22-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4034675)

Exactly! I don't know why all of you hate Dabo, but I hate him because he's not a coach yet he is given all the success from the Clemson football program. He deserves very minimal success that comes from on-the-field. That all goes to Chad Morris and Brent Venables and other coaches!

Dabo can recruit. He could sell underwear to a nudist if he wanted too. He relates to the recruits. The recruits that he wants generally tend to like him too. Can you image what Dabo would do with an insane budget? Talk about great recruiting classes and a great coaching staff.

That's what people tend to forget. The head coach of your team isn't always that important. For example: Alabama. If Nick Saban were to leave they might take a slight hit in recruiting, and maybe a slight hit on the field. But do you guys honestly think that Kirby Smart/Doug Nussmeier wouldn't keep that ball rolling?

Steve Spurrier is more vital to South Carolina that Nick Saban is to Alabama or Dabo Sweeney is to Clemson. Heck, Spurrier might be one of the most vital coaches to any team in America. I'd have to look around but he might be.

My opinion is based on the success of a program based on what the other coaches on staff could do. Example: Saban is a defensive genius. Kirby Smart could replace him. He may not be as great of a coach, but he is damn good. Dabo Sweeney is a great recruiter. Chad Morris and Brent Venables would do fine recruiting without him. Especially Chad Morris. Steve Spurrier is an offensive genius. I'm not so sure I trust SOSjr. or Mangus, or Elliott to take control of the play calling if Spurrier were to leave.

Cockypantherfan 12-22-2013 08:57 PM

Texas isn't having much trouble recruiting.

robgusc76 12-22-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4034684)
Texas isn't having much trouble recruiting.

Really? Because Texas has missed out on some big time recruits the last several years. Missed on two guys you might have heard of. Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel. They were pretty good college football players. They havent had a decent quarterback since Colt McCoy. You honestly dont think Dabo Swinney could have success in texas?

Cockypantherfan 12-22-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4034691)
Really? Because Texas has missed out on some big time recruits the last several years. Missed on two guys you might have heard of. Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel. They were pretty good college football players. They havent had a decent quarterback since Colt McCoy. You honestly dont think Dabo Swinney could have success in texas?

They recruited Manziel but didn't want him as a QB. As for Griffin, I'm not sure about that.

Flameout12 12-22-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnetmike (Post 4034672)

Only if he got decent asst. coaches like he has now. He hasn't proven any ability to coach beyond hiring expensive assts.

Todd803 12-22-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4034691)

Mack Brown told both as well as Jameis Winston that they would not play QB at Texas. All 3 would have gone there if they could have, or at least they have all 3 said something to that effect. They missed b/c the head coach evidently has not seen QB talent in the past 5 years even if it hit him in the face.

Article about Winstonhttp://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ecruiting-tale

Nuke LaLoosh 12-22-2013 10:19 PM

The only place SOS is going is Augusta National.

CarolinaGnB521 12-22-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameout12 (Post 4034698)
Only if he got decent asst. coaches like he has now. He hasn't proven any ability to coach beyond hiring expensive assts.

I don't think anyone was proclaiming that Dabo is a great "coach". But that was my point in post above: You don't have to be a great coach. You've just got to be the man in charge when your team wins on the field to get credit.

Texas isn't worried about money. They want to win, and win at all cost. If that means hiring glorified cheerleader that connects with young recruits, and lets his OC and DC run the show, then so be it.

I doubt Texas takes this route, but it's obviously not insane to think about.