CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Worst You've Ever Been Sick (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202360)

Gamecocks321 12-22-2013 10:26 PM

The Worst You've Ever Been Sick

Discuss a time where you were just horribly sick. What did you have? How long did it last?

SwampFox 12-22-2013 10:36 PM

Re: The Worst You've Ever Been Sick

A violent allergic reaction to something put me in Moncrief the last 2 days of summer vacation my senior year in 1980. I got shot full of cortisone to bring it under control, but I was miserable for over a week after I was discharged.

Thankfully, that is the sickest I can ever remember being, although I've been told I had pneumonia as an infant that also resulted in several days in the hospital.

spareparts 12-22-2013 10:37 PM

Hepatitis A from bad seafood in a restaurant I worked in. My God. My skin was yellow - literally bright yellow - it felt like I had a cinder block in my stomach for 3 days - I was lying in the fetal position for 36 hours moaning in pain. I couldn't eat or drink a single thing. It SUCKED. Then just like that it was gone. To this day I have never eaten at that restaurant again

lencho30 12-22-2013 10:37 PM

Bronchitis
With the meds I was given I felt better on day 2 but they said no alcohol. I went back to work on day 2 and decided I would have a beer or 2 after work. I didn't finish #2 and I was twice as sick as before. When I went back to the doc on day 3 the nurse knew what happened. I listened the 2nd time.

Captain9Dragons 12-22-2013 10:38 PM

a certain bbq place in augusta

i was out of service for 4 days

ColaCock 12-22-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons (Post 4034748)
a certain bbq place in augusta

i was out of service for 4 days

Sconyers?

ColaCock 12-22-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4034746)
Hepatitis A from bad seafood in a restaurant I worked in. My God. My skin was yellow - literally bright yellow - it felt like I had a cinder block in my stomach for 3 days - I was lying in the fetal position for 36 hours moaning in pain. I couldn't eat or drink a single thing. It SUCKED. Then just like that it was gone. To this day I have never eaten at that restaurant again

Care to share the name of this fine establishment?

warriorchief 12-22-2013 10:54 PM

It was actually a year ago today. Was down on St Helena Island at my best friend's grandparent's beach house on a pre-Christmas guy's trip. Last full day, we had chinese for lunch, and Dominos that night for dinner. About an hour after dinner, I felt sick to my stomach so I laid down. Next I know, I run to the bathroom and empty the stomach. I think 'ok, that's over with, we're good'. Nope. 45 minutes later, other end. Then just constantly throughout the night after that.

I wake up the next day and feel ok, and I eat something light. That lasts all of 15 minutes, and I'm back at it again. Tried to sip gatorade just to have something down, forget it. Rode home that night, and ended up stopping at EVERY rest area between Beaufort and Clemson, and nodding off between stops. I got home, and woke up the next morning, Christmas Eve, and was absolutely miserable. Was dehydrated as hell. Walked into the living room and said 'Mom, take me to the ER.'

Ended up being a 4 day hospital stay, first 2 days were IV and medicine only. The last 2 I moved to liquid diet, then had strict dietary orders for the first week after release. That was the worst 'sick' I've ever felt, and I spent Christmas in the hospital. Not a good week at all. NEVER want to go through that again.

garnet_black215 12-22-2013 10:59 PM

Ate at a seafood restaurant in Charleston this past Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. We had gone down for the weekend. Had red velvet cake for desert, which we took back to the hotel because we were too full to eat it right after dinner. Laying in bed about an hour later, my whole body starts feeling weak. I laid there trying to lay it off, hoping it would go away, while my girlfriend went and got a trash can to put by the bed. Good thing, because two minutes later it was coming up and it didn't stop for about 30 minutes. It was coming up in rather large quantities. Finally stopped long enough to make it to the bathroom so I could do it over the toilet instead of the trash can. I slept it off over night but woke up every hour thinking it was going to happen again, but thankfully it didn't. It didn't last very long compared to some of y'all, but I don't recall ever throwing up so much in a short period of time and feeling bad as suddenly as I did. I felt pretty horrible for about three or four hours.

I haven't eaten anything red velvet since, and that used to be my favorite dessert.

Gyle41386 12-22-2013 11:04 PM

A little over three years ago I developed what my doctors called the most violent case of ulcerative colitis any of them had ever seen. I had to drop out of school just over a week and a half into the semester and missed the entire year. My body didn't respond to any of the medications, so I spent eight months either in bed, on my couch, in the bathroom or in a doctor's office. It was basically a flare-up that lasted from September through April without any relief. I lost 45 pounds, needed two blood transfusions and ultimately two surgeries to "cure" me, the first of which was the removal of my large intestine.

Good times.

markymark550 12-22-2013 11:38 PM

About two years ago both me and my wife picked up some kind of virus from our twin nieces when the whole family was at my mom's for a weekend. My sister told us they had been sick the past week, but thought they were over it. Must have still been contagious because the next 4-5 days my wife and I were doing the sit-and-spin. We got sick that Monday and it lasted until Friday morning. I got so bad that I had to go to the urgent care on Tuesday and my wife got to that point on Thursday. Neither one of us was able to eat or drink anything without getting sick. I never get sick so bad that I have to go see a doctor, but this one was rough.

spareparts 12-23-2013 12:03 AM

This thread is insane. We're all lucky to be alive

Cola it was a place called Village Tavern in NC

ktguen 12-23-2013 12:05 AM

Over my 17th birthday was the first time I ever had food poisoning. TMI alert, but having it come out of both ends at the same time is the most helpless feeling. Completely miserable.

I also had appendicitis when I was 15 and that was just horrible pain. Both before the surgery and after.

Gamecock_Aholic 12-23-2013 12:08 AM

What's worse than having diarrhea in public? Trying to have diarrhea quietly in public.

ColaCock 12-23-2013 12:15 AM

I've only had food poisoning one time and it was horrible.

I was actually on St. Helena Island as well (like WC in this thread) after driving down from Columbia to do some fishing early on Saturday morning.

I had ate at a Chinese restaurant in Columbia before heading down there on Friday. Had a few beers when I got there and hit bed around 11pm...immediately started feeling a knot in my stomach but thought it was just the beer for some strange reason.

First off, I have *zero* qualms about puking...if I even begin to feel sick in the stomach, I can go into the bathroom and do it on command and immediately feel better- if that situation arises. NOT THIS TIME.

I hugged the bottom of that toilet from around midnight to about 5am when my uncle got up to wake me for fishing. Puked every 20 mins or so...couldn't keep down the water I was trying to hydrate myself with. Worse thing is I was throwing up this black thick fluid at times...and I can almost remember how repulsive the taste was today. Ugh.

Sonofacock 12-23-2013 12:45 AM

Alcohol poisoning when I was 19, threw up for hours. I've never seen black vomit before

robgusc76 12-23-2013 01:00 AM

Have two which were equally miserable.

Got food poisoning when I was in California visiting my dad. Felt bad all day, then the liquids started flowing when we got back to the condo his company put him in for his trip out there. For some reason I got in the shower, and got on my knees and elbows and had it flowing from both ends! Had to fly home the next day, it was terrible.

Second one, This was just a helpless feeling. I had been feeling bad for a day, had a fever, TERRIBLE chills, like turn the heat up, use three blankets kinda chills, and was still shivering. The next day, I felt a little better, so that night I went to my friends house to watch the fights. (For those who are fans it was the St. Pierre Koschek fight). Well It was winter, but that night, I started getting chills again. I had to drive back home, but the chills were so bad that I could hardly drive.

BleedsGarnet 12-23-2013 01:21 AM

Fungal Pneumonia at the age of 16, I was out of commission for over a month. Contracted it somewhere near San Antonio, got sick before coming home. Glad I was younger and healthy. It took doctors nearly a week to figure out what was wrong.

b381l 12-23-2013 03:07 AM

About 15 years ago, I had a leaking appendix and didn't know it. The doc that diagnosed it saved my life, when they went in, they found out it had just ruptured. I was in the hospital for about 2 weeks. I'm really lucky to be alive.
Took me another month after the hospital to return to normal.

Thenardier 12-23-2013 03:26 AM

I don't know what the hell I had, but for about a year, I could not eat anything with excessive fat or grease in it. My stomach would get woozy and cause me to throw up. Dropped from 190lbs down to 130. It was awful. Of course, I didn't know I had this condition, until I had a giant plate of baked macaroni and cheese in Inverness Scotland. Left the restaurant and hurled in an alley. Had to drive all the way back to Stirling with what felt like my stomach using my intestines as a jumping rope.