CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SIAP: Marcus Lattimore Letter to Gamecock Fans (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202373)

GH 12-23-2013 04:23 PM

SIAP: Marcus Lattimore Letter to Gamecock Fans

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/12/2...mas-thank.html
Quote:

Growing up in Duncan, South Carolina, I never really cared too much about football teams in South Carolina. I never understood the pride of our state and why Clemson and South Carolina football was so big. I was always a fan of players, never the school, but for some reason when I got the offer letter from South Carolina at the end of my 11th-grade year, I was excited, not knowing what would unfold the next four years of my life.

Brad Lawing and Jay Graham came into my living room a couple weeks before my senior season in high school began to wind down. We talked for about an hour and honestly, I don't remember a thing except when coach Lawing asked me if I had any concerns. I told him what was in my heart, that I felt a lot of pressure to go there and contribute to be somewhat the face of Carolina football and turn the program around.

Coach Lawing said three words that really stuck with me forever -- "Just be yourself.” I knew after that where I would be attending school.

Did my three years at Carolina turn out the way I wanted? No. Did it turn out the way that God wanted it? Yes, and now I'm here in San Francisco and I realize that’s all that matters, and I wouldn't change a thing that happened.

GH 12-23-2013 04:25 PM

Re: SIAP: Marcus Lattimore Letter to Gamecock Fans

I wish I could post the whole thing.

In fact I wish this letter was read before the first game next season in the Brice.

Lant 12-23-2013 04:30 PM

wow. what a great young man.

eightohhthree 12-23-2013 04:32 PM

Can't wait to see him on the field again.

Rebel4ever 12-23-2013 04:33 PM

One of the handful of times I got really mad at HBC was having Marcus out wide BLOCKING in a stationary position with the play coming right up behind him. Why in the world HBC had our all American RB BLOCKING out wide, I'll never understand. If not for that play Marcus would have finished out that year and we probably beat Arkansas running the ball with him and Marcus may have stayed all 4 years. Goes to show how one play can change a career. Duncan boy Marcus!

kingoftheroost 12-23-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4035470)
One of the handful of times I got really mad at HBC was having Marcus out wide BLOCKING in a stationary position with the play coming right up behind him. Why in the world HBC had our all American RB BLOCKING out wide, I'll never understand. If not for that play Marcus would have finished out that year and we probably beat Arkansas running the ball with him and Marcus may have stayed all 4 years. Goes to show how one play can change a career. Duncan boy Marcus!

I'm sorry, but your post makes no sense. Because someone is a star on the team means he shouldn't have to do things other than what make him look good or highlight his ability? Part of what makes Marcus so special is the fact he's unselfish, and blocking on a play is a fine example of that trait. As for being stationary, maybe he wasn't supposed to be. I'm sure it would have been much better if he had put the guy on the ground with a crushing block or driven him backward, but that didn't happen. Your post makes it seem as though guys like Alshon Jeffery should never have blocked for Lattimore downfield. Would that have made sense? Anyway, much love for Lattimore and what he represents.

uscgamecocks88 12-23-2013 04:42 PM

Wow. What a great, classy young man. His parents raised him well.

Can't wait to see him play again. I'm sure he will do many great things over in San Fran.

Cuck Flemson 12-23-2013 04:49 PM

That is why Marcus Lattimore is My all time favorite Gamecock player. Classy young man!

eaglegolf018 12-23-2013 05:22 PM

Oh man. Love him to death. Getting all sappy again

uga dawg 12-23-2013 05:24 PM

i want to see him get his wheels back under him, and really do well in the NFL. He really is a pretty good kid, and i wish him well.

tpep 12-23-2013 05:31 PM

maybe the classiest act to ever wear the garnet and black- bar none

CockyCody 12-23-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpep (Post 4035511)
maybe the classiest act to ever wear the garnet and black- bar none

No maybe about it. He damn sure is!!!:wink: and Go Marcus!!!

Rebel4ever 12-23-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4035477)
I'm sorry, but your post makes no sense. Because someone is a star on the team means he shouldn't have to do things other than what make him look good or highlight his ability? Part of what makes Marcus so special is the fact he's unselfish, and blocking on a play is a fine example of that trait. As for being stationary, maybe he wasn't supposed to be. I'm sure it would have been much better if he had put the guy on the ground with a crushing block or driven him backward, but that didn't happen. Your post makes it seem as though guys like Alshon Jeffery should never have blocked for Lattimore downfield. Would that have made sense? Anyway, much love for Lattimore and what he represents.

Makes sense to me. Don't put your star RB out wide blocking putting him in a position to possibly get hurt which happened. Spurrier knew where that play was going and to have Marcus out there blocking was just not smart. Alshon was a wide receiver and that was part of his job, to block, so that remark makes no sense. Marcus was our RB, should never have been out there. Anyway, agree with your last sentence so we'll leave it at that.

kingoftheroost 12-23-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4ever (Post 4035546)
Makes sense to me. Don't put your star RB out wide blocking putting him in a position to possibly get hurt which happened. Spurrier knew where that play was going and to have Marcus out there blocking was just not smart. Alshon was a wide receiver and that was part of his job, to block, so that remark makes no sense. Marcus was our RB, should never have been out there. Anyway, agree with your last sentence so we'll leave it at that.

Part of Lattimore's job as a running back was to block, too.

Cockholio 12-23-2013 07:01 PM

Just Marcus being Marcus. No matter where the NFL and life takes him, SC will always be home.

cockybreeyan 12-23-2013 07:21 PM

is someone cuttin onions in here? That was a great read. we love you marcus, always will. While we work on getting MD28 his trophy, you go out and steal the starting job from Frank Gore like he beat your mama and get yourself some (more) trophies.

Jim Lahey 12-23-2013 07:57 PM

:clap:

uscgamecocks88 12-23-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockybreeyan (Post 4035607)
is someone cuttin onions in here? That was a great read. we love you marcus, always will. While we work on getting MD28 his trophy, you go out and steal the starting job from Frank Gore like he beat your mama and get yourself some (more) trophies.

Definitly got goose bumps. I can't wait to see Marcus in San Fran. Really hope he gets them to a Super Bowl.

Clowneygotcha 12-23-2013 08:24 PM

I thought it was kinda neat he ended with "Lets Get Mike Davis that trophy next December!" I heard he was really high on Davis, but that right there just proves it.

cocky-K 12-23-2013 08:27 PM

Can't wait to see that dude run again.