CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Country music today (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202380)

usc1 12-23-2013 09:43 PM

Country music today
 
Saw this posted somewhere and thought it was pretty funny




I'm a big country music fan but I can't disagree with it. A lot of country right now is pretty redundant. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. You're starting to see some resistance from country artists trying to get rid of this "fad".

robgusc76 12-23-2013 09:50 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4035707)
Saw this posted somewhere and thought it was pretty funny




I'm a big country music fan but I can't disagree with it. A lot of country right now is pretty redundant. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. You're starting to see some resistance from country artists trying to get rid of this "fad".

I literally just saw this on foxnews and it was "Dead on balls accurate" (My cousin vinny quote). The whole article I read is right here, this line hit the nail on the head.

Quote:

"Ten gallon hats and Wrangler jeans now feel out of place in a sea of trucker caps and wallet chains," Smith wrote in the introduction to his list of 2013's Top 10 Country Albums.

"In short, the genre is something of a mess right now," he said. "Itís telling that the country format is both more popular and more criticized than it has been in decades."
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

Roosterboy 12-23-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Country music today
 
I'll first admit I'm not a country fan...I borderline hate it...but hey, if people like it, fine, I can also turn the dial or download something else.

But this video hits it...extremely redundant/cookie-cutter...almost like the same guy is writing everybody's songs...I will admit there are two or three people I like (Rascal Flatt, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban) but to me, nearly every guy sounds and looks the same, as does every girl.

I'm more of a fan of old country and bluegrass (among also jazz, blues, classical all the way through different genres of rock and metal). I can say this isn't a problem just confined to country music. Today's "pop" music is all electronic, auto-tuning...a lot like House music we had in the 1990s (which virtually no one liked...go figure). Even rock music is getting cookie-cutter (at least in sound styles and pacing of songs).

Honestly...the problem is the music distributors I think...they tell the artisits what is cool, what sound they need to go for, that "this forumula worked for this person, so we will do it with you too."

Sadly, it is the balance of creativity and commerce, and right now commerce is winning at the expense of art...and yes, true country music is art and a part of our culture..the same way blues and jazz is apart of our culture...it is OUR (American) music.

And the reason so many country singers, and singers in general, aren't willing to change is that labels will drop them and find someone else that will do what they want.

usc1 12-23-2013 10:46 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4035758)
I'll first admit I'm not a country fan...I borderline hate it...but hey, if people like it, fine, I can also turn the dial or download something else.

But this video hits it...extremely redundant/cookie-cutter...almost like the same guy is writing everybody's songs...I will admit there are two or three people I like (Rascal Flatt, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban) but to me, nearly every guy sounds and looks the same, as does every girl.

I'm more of a fan of old country and bluegrass (among also jazz, blues, classical all the way through different genres of rock and metal). I can say this isn't a problem just confined to country music. Today's "pop" music is all electronic, auto-tuning...a lot like House music we had in the 1990s (which virtually no one liked...go figure). Even rock music is getting cookie-cutter (at least in sound styles and pacing of songs).

Honestly...the problem is the music distributors I think...they tell the artisits what is cool, what sound they need to go for, that "this forumula worked for this person, so we will do it with you too."

Sadly, it is the balance of creativity and commerce, and right now commerce is winning at the expense of art...and yes, true country music is art and a part of our culture..the same way blues and jazz is apart of our culture...it is OUR (American) music.

And the reason so many country singers, and singers in general, aren't willing to change is that labels will drop them and find someone else that will do what they want.

Exactly. It's what sells. You're even seeing the more traditional country artists become more "progressive". Others like Alan Jackson have decided to hold off making country music because they refuse to change their brand for "what sells". Jackson came out with a bluegrass album this year.

SClawman 12-23-2013 10:52 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Pop country is awful. Been that way for years. The songs and sound get worse and worse year after year. Doesn't take much talent like singing or playing an instrument-just have to look good and act cool. It's funny how they keep trying to broaden their audience by adding more electric guitars to their shows and an occasional rapper to their videos. Sad to say but pedal steel guitars and fiddles are a thing of the past.

garnet_black215 12-23-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Country music today
 
As ardent of a country fan as I am, it's hard to disagree with this. Country music today is too mainstream and appeals too much to the younger crowd. I can probably name on one hand how many songs I really liked this year, and that may even be tough to do.

Since I got my iPhone about a year ago and got the Pandora app, all I pretty much listen to is 80 and 90's country, with classic rock mixed in sometimes depending on what my mood is that day.

Gaichon 12-24-2013 12:22 AM

Re: Country music today
 
Big fan of country music. Not a fan of whatever this garbage is Nashville has pumped out for the last 20 years. Luckily living in Texas I can get Red Dirt music on the radio, but even that is too commercialized.

When Garth Brooks released "No Fences" that was the beginning of the end. Lots of reasons for that, but it was def the turning point.

RIP, Waylon.

GoCCUChants 12-24-2013 12:25 AM

Re: Country music today
 
Who's gonna fill their shoes?

scfanz 12-24-2013 02:44 AM

Re: Country music today
 
Country music sold out to the dollar. There's very few true country artists left. Most of what is played on the radio today is pop music. I miss George Jones and Johnny Cash.

Gamecock_Aholic 12-24-2013 04:31 AM

Re: Country music today
 
That is so accurate it's scary. But, I can't blame them, this is their career and like others stated, it's what brings in the money. If you told me I could play guitar in Nickelback, i'd do it in a heartbeat. Wanna laugh at me? You can laugh as i'm driving to the bank.

Spurticus 12-24-2013 06:28 AM

Re: Country music today
 
REAL Country Music was killed off by the same thing that killed REAL
Rock n Roll. Corporate Industry involvement into the medium for the
purpose of advertisement and profit. It "basically" started (or got out of
hand) with the circus that was Frampton Comes Alive. The Record Company
hype months before it's release, the paid radio/TV executives to push
the Album, and the overplaying the tracks from the album once it was
released. It set records for the most costly album to produce, but it also
set records for the amount of cash made from sales and concert attendance.
It was the beginning of the end. After Frampton Comes Alive, concert ticket
sales went from about $15.00 a ticket in/around 1974-75 to somewhere in
the $35.00 range in 1975-76 and grew steadily almost every 6 months or so.
Every major name in Rock that put out an album also had major corporate
sponsors attached to the album itself and/or the tour to support the
new album release. Rock bands/artists were starting to sign multi million
dollar contract deals not only with the Record Companies, but with
Corporations like Ford Motor Company, Budwiser, Sony, Pepsi etc....
in order to get their name on the Album, the Tour and the band's music.
Music went from entertainment for the average blue collar Joe, to
a special event for the upper middle class.

Country music soon followed in it's footsteps. Country Music in the 90s
and early 2000s was what Rock was in the early to late 80s. Overhyped
younger artists who's main goal was to produce a couple or singles on
every album that would get the sponsors name out there, and something
they could make a cool video out of to play into the ground on MTV (rock)
and CMT (for Country music). ... Music in general was successful or
not by way of growth numbers on a spread sheet rather than record sales
and call in requests to the DJs on the air. Now everytime a Name act
takes the stage, it's done behind months of hype and advertisement,
and online ticket sales of prices "BEGINING" at $85.00-$100.00 range, to
see another name doing pretty much the same act as the other guy / gal
just did a few months earlier. Only with a different corporate sponsor, and
a little variation in the light show.

This same thing has invaded other forms of entertainment as well.
NASCAR is the main one that comes to mind. If followed the same model
as Rock Music starting in the 90s and it's pretty much killed off a once
solid form of middle American pastime.

Carolina4Life 12-24-2013 06:33 AM

Country music today
 
All music is redundant but that was just too much. Big business has changed Nashville. Everybody is a sell out.

scgamecox2001 12-24-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Country music today
 
1 Attachment(s)
Everyone lamenting the death of country needs to check out this guy, along with Hayes Carll and American Aquarium, just to name a few.

roosterdude21 12-24-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Country music today
 
I like when they team up with rappers. The combination is hilarious

Spurticus 12-24-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scgamecox2001 (Post 4036119)
Everyone lamenting the death of country needs to check out this guy, along with Hayes Carll and American Aquarium, just to name a few.

There's still good Rock n Roll if you want to travel every single day of
the year and do an almost 24/7/365 search of all the small venues and
clubs across America just to see the artist/band. OR pay $200+ for the
few good reunion tours some of the older rock bands do every half
decade or so.

I think the OP was talking about Country Music in general today vs what it was
pre 1980(ish).

scgamecox2001 12-24-2013 12:27 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurticus (Post 4036124)
There's still good Rock n Roll if you want to travel every single day of
the year and do an almost 24/7/365 search of all the small venues and
clubs across America just to see the artist/band. OR pay $200+ for the
few good reunion tours some of the older rock bands do every half
decade or so.

I think the OP was talking about Country Music in general today vs what it was
pre 1980(ish).

Oh, no doubt that mainstream country is indeed in sad shape today. This "Bro Country" shit that has become so popular deserves it's own genre. As far as good Rock, I am fortunate enough to live within driving distance of Athens and Asheville, two of the better music towns in the Southeast.

HeadCockFan 12-24-2013 05:12 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Darius Rucker still puts out a decent product IMO. I can tell he hates doing wagon wheel live though. I like some other popular acts too, Zac Brown Band is OK. For me though, I always end up on the pandora bluegrass station.

uscjeremynca 12-24-2013 05:26 PM

Re: Country music today
 
I hate country music. I just don't listen to it. That's my choice. I respect the music though. I may be the only one in my family from SC that doesn't listen to it. However, there is a quality and depth to country music that will always be better than most of the cursing rap crap on the radio. It's garbage.

With that said, I grew up on country from the 80s. It's what my parents listened to. Even now, I have a few country music songs from the 80s on Spotify.

To be fair, I am a bit old school and this reflects my taste in music. All music, compared to that in the 80s, early 90s, and before that, is garbage. Granted, I also feel like video games and watching TV for kids is a waste of time when they should be using their minds, being more creative, and playing outside.

I'm (almost) 39 going on 80. However, my sentiments reflect my thoughts on music. Whether it's country or not, the quality isn't what it used to be.

spareparts 12-24-2013 05:38 PM

Re: Country music today
 
Who knew that THIS would be the most influential country album of all time??

http://cmt.mtvnimages.com/shared/med...k&quality=0.85

That's basically every male country artist of today right there

Gaichon 12-25-2013 12:28 AM

Re: Country music today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4036259)
Who knew that THIS would be the most influential country album of all time??

http://cmt.mtvnimages.com/shared/med...k&quality=0.85

That's basically every male country artist of today right there

The absolute of absurdity of the Chris Gaines experiment came up at our Christmas party the other day - several Okie State folks in the crowd that feld the need to defend Garth/Chris.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.