CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tight Ends under utilized this season? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202465)

IslandCock 12-28-2013 03:13 PM

Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Going into the season I felt that we were very stacked at TE and that we'd lean on those assets heavily. I didn't compare stats from previous years - so this may just be a perception thing - but I don't feel that the offensive gameplans gave them many looks.

A lot of this may have been the result of good WR play, but I feel that we can better exploit the talents of those big bodies. Not meant to be a knock on the coaching staff - just my personal thoughts on the difference of my expectations going into the season against how it turned out.

Gamecockfanatic4 12-28-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
I feel like we have this discussion every year

cockybreeyan 12-28-2013 03:23 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Rory didn't have a TD if I am correct. That's a problem

IslandCock 12-28-2013 03:26 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Feel like we don't have a TE pass play in the red zone to generate more TDs - we used to consistently throw it to Weslye in those situations.

InletCock1989 12-28-2013 03:28 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 (Post 4037937)
I feel like we have this discussion every year

:roll:

IslandCock 12-28-2013 03:28 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 (Post 4037937)
I feel like we have this discussion every year

Maybe so, but when were we last this deep at the position.

CarolinaGnB521 12-28-2013 03:31 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cockybreeyan (Post 4037941)
Rory didn't have a TD if I am correct. That's a problem


A problem? How is it a problem? Did we not go 10-2? A problem would indicate that something different could've been done to get a better result. While of course we could've thrown to a TE at Georgia and scored, hindsight is 20/20.

*Georgia: We gained positive yards on every run play from the shotgun formation EXCEPT FOR one (and you know which one that is). Also, people that say that lining up in the I-formation is better because you run downhill - it works the same exactly way in shotgun formations - the only difference is when the ball is received by the back.

There is no problem. Did we not utilize them? Sure we didn't. But it's not like we didn't when we should've or didn't and lost because of it...

garnet_black215 12-28-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
TE has never been an integral part of Spurrier's system. Sure, we have TE's make plays here and there, and Busta was great in the red zone in 2012, but that's never been a unit that makes a big impact game in and game out. I wish we would use them more, but with the amount of weapons we have on the outside, I can see why they weren't used as much this year.

Also, in reference to a previous poster, Adams caught a TD pass against MSU (I believe) this year, so the TE was used in the red zone, although very little.

henmania 12-28-2013 03:55 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cockybreeyan (Post 4037941)
Rory didn't have a TD if I am correct. That's a problem

He dropped at least 2 TD passes. Rory had several drops this year. I think that led to Connor looking to other options. There are routes for the TEin most pass plays. It's up to the QB where the ball goes.

Cock Kool-Aid 12-28-2013 04:26 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 (Post 4037950)
A problem? How is it a problem? Did we not go 10-2? A problem would indicate that something different could've been done to get a better result. While of course we could've thrown to a TE at Georgia and scored, hindsight is 20/20.

*Georgia: We gained positive yards on every run play from the shotgun formation EXCEPT FOR one (and you know which one that is). Also, people that say that lining up in the I-formation is better because you run downhill - it works the same exactly way in shotgun formations - the only difference is when the ball is received by the back.

There is no problem. Did we not utilize them? Sure we didn't. But it's not like we didn't when we should've or didn't and lost because of it...


Words.

cockybreeyan 12-28-2013 05:55 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 (Post 4037950)
A problem? How is it a problem? Did we not go 10-2? A problem would indicate that something different could've been done to get a better result. While of course we could've thrown to a TE at Georgia and scored, hindsight is 20/20.

*Georgia: We gained positive yards on every run play from the shotgun formation EXCEPT FOR one (and you know which one that is). Also, people that say that lining up in the I-formation is better because you run downhill - it works the same exactly way in shotgun formations - the only difference is when the ball is received by the back.

There is no problem. Did we not utilize them? Sure we didn't. But it's not like we didn't when we should've or didn't and lost because of it...

to each his own

cockybreeyan 12-28-2013 05:56 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by henmania (Post 4037963)
He dropped at least 2 TD passes. Rory had several drops this year. I think that led to Connor looking to other options. There are routes for the TEin most pass plays. It's up to the QB where the ball goes.

I realize that, but with his big play ability and red zone mismatches, he should be scoring TD's. It's on the QBs, the coaches, him on the drops. The TE's could've been used better IMO, that's all I am saying

ccured 12-28-2013 06:01 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Yes

CoverTwo 12-28-2013 06:25 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
You guys have to get over this. The tight ends will never be what you think they should be. Spurrier's offense just doesn't cater to them when he has a good receiver corp.

CockOla 12-28-2013 06:53 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
If I recall correctly, injury played a large role regarding the reduced use of TE plays at least in the first half of the season.
C2 is right on the money...recalled frustrated Saunders' public comments/call "give me the ball" at one time or the order during his good times here.

CarolinaGnB521 12-28-2013 06:55 PM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4038074)
You guys have to get over this. The tight ends will never be what you think they should be. Spurrier's offense just doesn't cater to them when he has a good receiver corp.

Percent of completions by TE-

2013: 13.4%
2012: 18.2%
2011: 13.6%
2010: 11.5%
2009: 14.7%
2008: 21.2%
2007: 19.9%


We've been fairly consistent since 2009.

uscsandstorm85 12-29-2013 01:01 AM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
These threads are supposed to appear after the bowl game.

dreammachine 12-29-2013 02:17 AM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
It could be true that our Tight Ends are not a big part of the package in SOS total offensive scheme, but with the talent that we have, then maybe he should take another look at putting them in more and more. I know per what Tommy Suggs stated in the Clemson game that our tight ends were open just about every passing play during that game and we did not throw to them. I am no offensive play caller, but if Tommy Suggs saw this, then maybe SOS needs to pay heed to what Tommy Suggs was saying and start looking to your tight ends more. Just a thought as I know that we were 10-2 for the year, but maybe if you had thrown more to your tight ends you could have been 11-1 or 12-0. I do believe that SOS is not above considering it if someone in his circle points it out to him enough. What could it hurt.

:spurrier:

b381l 12-29-2013 03:40 AM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreammachine (Post 4038378)
It could be true that our Tight Ends are not a big part of the package in SOS total offensive scheme, but with the talent that we have, then maybe he should take another look at putting them in more and more. I know per what Tommy Suggs stated in the Clemson game that our tight ends were open just about every passing play during that game and we did not throw to them. I am no offensive play caller, but if Tommy Suggs saw this, then maybe SOS needs to pay heed to what Tommy Suggs was saying and start looking to your tight ends more. Just a thought as I know that we were 10-2 for the year, but maybe if you had thrown more to your tight ends you could have been 11-1 or 12-0. I do believe that SOS is not above considering it if someone in his circle points it out to him enough. What could it hurt.

:spurrier:

I know at this point, SOS isn't going to change....but the tight end is the hardest person to defend...DB are too small and LB aren't fast/agile enough. The reason Suggs was right is we are very predictable not throwing to the TE so they aren't going to guard them until we start throwing to them. In the post of above, we only complete a pass to a TE about 1 out of every 7 completions.......that's 1 out of every 12 pass attempts.

yazoo 12-29-2013 09:23 AM

Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?
 
Were the tight ends open this year?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.