CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Connor McLaurin out (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202554)

JAYBEZ 12-31-2013 12:54 PM

Connor McLaurin out

He is our starting fullback and apparently "cracked his ankle" in practice. This is per Spurrier after practice. No link, sorry.

Looks like very few power run formations coming our way

Legalman72 12-31-2013 12:59 PM

Re: Connor McLaurin out

ARGH!

Lonnie 12-31-2013 01:00 PM

Mason.Zandi.

davidmc467 12-31-2013 01:03 PM

You should have titled the thread just "Connor Out" just for giggles.

sandstorm2001 12-31-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmc467 (Post 4040244)
You should have titled the thread just "Connor Out" just for giggles.

Trololololo

ThisMr X 12-31-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 (Post 4040247)
Trololololo

We have wilds if we run a package like that

Cockypantherfan 12-31-2013 01:17 PM

With the talk of Tim Tebow being gay and now rumors saying Aaron Rodgers is gay, this threat title made me do a double take..

donbgamecock 12-31-2013 01:49 PM

I get the feeling that some people don' realize how important he is to our game. He has done a great job at picking up the blitz and blocking for Davis.

usc1 12-31-2013 02:04 PM

Garrison Gist will start. He's like the strongest guy in the history of South Carolina.

MWard 12-31-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisMr X (Post 4040249)
We have wilds if we run a package like that

That was my first thought as well.

Cockypantherfan 12-31-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donbgamecock (Post 4040275)
I get the feeling that some people don' realize how important he is to our game. He has done a great job at picking up the blitz and blocking for Davis.

Huge loss for us. I wonder if we will line up in any I formations now.

Garnet Gamecock 12-31-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4040284)
Garrison Gist will start. He's like the strongest guy in the history of South Carolina.

"The Human Fireplug"

JAYBEZ 12-31-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Spurrier has gone out of his way to praise him on a number of occasions.

Spurrier praising a fullback. Let that sink in and the importance of his role will as well.

ucan'tlickourcocks 12-31-2013 02:54 PM

The sky IS NOT falling!!!

It is a loss, sure........ but next man up!

Biocockanics 12-31-2013 02:58 PM

power run will be somewhat ineffective against Wisconsin, they practice against on of the best OLs in football.

With one of our BEST blockers out (Mclaurin) Shaw's scramble and the pass is our best threat in this game.

GH 12-31-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

You are right

Roosterboy 12-31-2013 03:10 PM

Major ...major...major loss.
Guy did't get much pub...but the coaches know how important a good lead blocker is.

Cock Kool-Aid 12-31-2013 03:23 PM

Simply the fact that McLaurin has been a good fullback doesn't make it a huge loss. It's not a huge loss unless there's a big dropoff between him and the next fullback in line. IDK if that's the case. If it is a big dropoff, we'll probably see mostly shotgun this game. I didn't see Mike Davis having a big game anyways because Wisky has a stout run D and veteran front 7. Their secondary is their weakness and I think Spurrier is going to end up going pass heavy regardless of our fullback situation. Yes, McLaurin would be valuable in pass blocking in the I-form but we can pass just as well from the shotgun IMO. I can't necessarily say that for running the ball.

ConwayGamecock 12-31-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4040334)
Simply the fact that McLaurin has been a good fullback doesn't make it a huge loss. It's not a huge loss unless there's a big dropoff between him and the next fullback in line. IDK if that's the case. If it is a big dropoff, we'll probably see mostly shotgun this game. I didn't see Mike Davis having a big game anyways because Wisky has a stout run D and veteran front 7. Their secondary is their weakness and I think Spurrier is going to end up going pass heavy regardless of our fullback situation. Yes, McLaurin would be valuable in pass blocking in the I-form but we can pass just as well from the shotgun IMO. I can't necessarily say that for running the ball.

#1 FB: McLaurin - 12/12 games appeared in, 5 starts (not every game utilized a FB in it's base offense)

#2 FB: Gist - 1/12 games appeared in (Coastal), 0 starts

There's your big dropoff......

Plus the game is tommorrow......doubt there will be much time to give Garrison the lion's share of practice snaps now to help gear him up for Wisconsin. For that matter, doubt there's ANY time to prepare a B-plan for the game if we were planning on using a FB substantially versus Wisconsin. We're just going to have to wing it against a top-10 run defense and hope for the best. Although last year Michigan supposedly had a top-10 pass defense, and we threw all over them, so we'll see.....

Lonnie 12-31-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4040319)
power run will be somewhat ineffective against Wisconsin, they practice against on of the best OLs in football.

With one of our BEST blockers out (Mclaurin) Shaw's scramble and the pass is our best threat in this game.

This. We're not going to be able to really run it up the gut vs wisky anyway. Our best bet is to get those guys moving latterly, which is where we have the advantage.

Losing Byrd was about 10x more worrisome than Connor McLaurin.