CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Micheal Shumacher Fighting for Life (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202562)

Travelin 12-31-2013 04:58 PM

Michael Shumacher Fighting for Life

Brain injuries from a skiing accident has this former F1 championship driver fighting for his life.

Quote:

Michael Schumacher has shown "slight improvement" after a surgical procedure but is not out of danger, doctors treating him have said.
The operation to remove the largest of a series of blood clots in the racing driver's brain took around two hours, and the coming hours are 'critical' according to medical staff in Grenoble, France.
Schumacher continues to be kept in an artificial coma after he suffered a severe head injury while skiing off-piste in the resort of Meribel on Sunday.
He was reportedly travelling at speeds of up to 60mph when the accident happened, and is thought to have been saved by his skiing helmet, which split on impact.
Rescuers were on hand within minutes and he was initially conscious after the fall before deteriorating into a critical condition.
Doctors have refused to give a prognosis for the 44-year-old Formula One champion.
http://news.sky.com/story/1188803/sc...ht-improvement

ucan'tlickourcocks 12-31-2013 05:16 PM

Re: Micheal Shumacher Fighting for Life

Prayers to the Schumacher family, and I hope Michael pulls through...... been a fan of his for many years!

Brings back sad memories of Ayrton Senna, RIP!

Travelin 12-31-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks (Post 4040411)
Prayers to the Schumacher family, and I hope Michael pulls through...... been a fan of his for many years!

Brings back sad memories of Ayrton Senna, RIP!

Unfortunately, it reminds me more of Colin McRae.

cack 12-31-2013 06:14 PM

Wow didn't even know about this. Hopefully he can pull through. For Americans to be talking about a F1 racer that tells you the career he had.

Travelin 12-31-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cack (Post 4040440)
Wow didn't even know about this. Hopefully he can pull through. For Americans to be talking about a F1 racer that tells you the career he had.

Seven Time F1 Champion. He dominated Formula 1.

Travelin 01-01-2014 08:45 AM

A journalist tried to enter his hospital room by dressing up as a priest.

Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, said one journalist attempted to gain access to the seven-time champion's room.
"Apparently a journalist dressed as a priest had tried to gain access to Michael's room," Kehm told Die Welt. "I wouldn't have ever imagined something like this could happen."
The journalist and publication were not named.
In Tuesday's press conference Gerard Saillant, one of the leading neurologists in Paris and a friend of Schumacher, asked the media to respect the need for the doctors to carry out their work without intrusion.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/s...yS7rdeu4DeP.99

Travelin 01-23-2014 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
22 JANUARY 2014 Michael Schumacher's family have thanked the retired Formula One star's fans for their support, as fears grow that he may be in a persistent vegetative state.

The father-of-two, who has been in an induced coma for four weeks following a skiing accident in France, may "never make a full recovery," according to new reports.

Michael's family have insisted that "he is a fighter" and wrote an emotional note on the former F1 world champion's official website.

"We are deeply touched by all the messages to get well soon for Michael, which still are being sent," said the statement. "That gives us strength. Thank you all so much! Thank you to the Fanclub in Kerpen, to 1. FC Köln and Schalke 04 but also to everybody else and other fan groups who are supporting Michael. We all know he is a fighter and will not give up!"

JerseyBird 01-23-2014 09:32 AM

Sorry to hear - thought he was doing better. You know if anyone can beat the odds, top athletes like him can

Cockypantherfan 01-23-2014 09:59 AM

Sad news

usc90grad 01-23-2014 10:06 AM

Anyone know if he was skiing off the course or on a managed slope?

Travelin 01-23-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4067954)
Anyone know if he was skiing off the course or on a managed slope?

He was skiing off-piste. Supposedly he had a rep for doing it, but in this case, he helped a fallen skier get back up and decided to cut through the off-piste part to get back on his original slope where there where exposed rocks. He hit one and his head hit another rock.

ucan'tlickourcocks 01-23-2014 10:15 AM

One of the greatest of all time!

If it had to happen, almost wish it could have happened behind the wheel of a race car.
For me at least, it would have made a little more sense.....

First Sonny Bono.....now Schumacher! Ski slopes can be deadly!

sc455 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

i am not one for the hazardous sports..i watch from the ski lodge. no mountainclimbing or trail riding..i know personal peeps who died doing that..i have diffrrent hobbies.

Travelin 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

Schumacher is currently being treated by doctors in the Grenoble University Hospital after hitting his head on a rock while skiing off-piste. His manager Sabine Kehm has confirmed that he remains in a “stable” condition, though it is not yet known whether he will recover from his injuries.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...o-long-in-coma

Schumacher’s condition remains stable but there is otherwise a wall of silence about his treatment from doctors at University Hospital in the French Alpine city of Grenoble.
Brain injury patients are placed into artificial comas to reduce the amount of oxygen that flows into the organ, thus making it work less and giving it time to heal.
However, such comas usually last for a maximum of two weeks and experts are starting to doubt whether the driver might ever recover sufficiently to be brought back to consciousness.
Jean-Marc Orgogozo, professor of neurology at the University of Bordeaux, said: “Every day, every week he is in a coma the chances decline that the situation is improving.”
Yesterday the Austrian news website Format.at reported: “For more than three weeks now Schumacher lies in a medically induced coma at the University Hospital in Grenoble.”
It says the “severe damage” he suffered to his brain in the ski accident on December 29 could leave him in a permanent vegetative state, also known as Apallic Syndrome.

usc90grad 01-23-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4067961)
He was skiing off-piste. Supposedly he had a rep for doing it, but in this case, he helped a fallen skier get back up and decided to cut through the off-piste part to get back on his original slope where there where exposed rocks. He hit one and his head hit another rock.

Thanks. I was wondering how the heck he could suffer such massive injuries on a groomed sloop while wearing a helmet.

Tragic story. Dude took huge risks for a living so hard to fault him. But personally I would never ski in areas like that.

Master Bedroom 01-23-2014 01:20 PM

That was some bad deja vu from reading that story. I will say do not count this man out yet. I can tell you from personal experience that as bleak as this situation seems this man still has a chance to live life again. My mom was in a coma for 37 days and in the Neuro ICU for 45+ days after she suffered a traumatic brain injury July 21, 2013...I just helped move her into her own apartment last week! Brain injuries are some of the most trippy and bizarre injuries out there and I can promise you that his family is going through absolute HELL right now. Peace, love, and any good vibes I have to those involved.

Travelin 01-23-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Bedroom (Post 4068153)
That was some bad deja vu from reading that story. I will say do not count this man out yet. I can tell you from personal experience that as bleak as this situation seems this man still has a chance to live life again. My mom was in a coma for 37 days and in the Neuro ICU for 45+ days after she suffered a traumatic brain injury July 21, 2013...I just helped move her into her own apartment last week! Brain injuries are some of the most trippy and bizarre injuries out there and I can promise you that his family is going through absolute HELL right now. Peace, love, and any good vibes I have to those involved.

Glad your Mom made it! That's great!

Master Bedroom 01-23-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4068212)
Glad your Mom made it! That's great!

Thanks, really appreciate it. She may never be quite the "same" again..and she deals with emotional issues almost daily...but she is alive and working everyday to get her life back.

Lonnie 01-23-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4068080)
Thanks. I was wondering how the heck he could suffer such massive injuries on a groomed sloop while wearing a helmet.

Little known fact about helmets. The "impact speeds" where they are actually protective are fairly low (less than 20 mph). Much lower than the speed of the average intermediate skier (about 35+ mph). It has also been shown that skiers/snowboarders engage in riskier behavior when helmeted than when not (superman syndrome). When helemted, they ski faster, ski steeper terrain, and take more risks (closer to objects, etc) than when not helmeted.

To wit,

Quote:

When your head hits an object, the likelihood of concussion can be measured in G force of the deceleration. You get a possible concussion at 95 g’s, certain concussion at 150 g’s, and serious injury or death at 275 g’s.
In the United States, ski helmets are certified to the ASTM F2040 standard for snowsports helmets.

This article refers to a study where they tried to emulate a real-life skiing accident and measure G forces on a helmet “protected” head. The testing was done as if the skier was moving at 30 kph, 18.6 mph. Such moderate speed is frequently attained by nearly any skier.

During the study, measured force at 18.6 mph was 333 g’s when the helmet/head hit a wooden post. That’s significantly above the threshold for serious injury or death. What is more, G force when the head hit hard icy snow was still up at 162 g’s.
This is why as an employee in the snow sports industry for almost 15 year (I took a sabbatical several years ago), I feel an obligation to educate and inform people about the TRUTH about ski/snowboard helmets. They have a lot of benefits, don't get me wrong, but to think that they are a panacea for any fall you make take while "skiing normally" is flat out wrong.

FWIW, I've been knocked unconscious and received a concussion from a collision with a 9 year old girl. She was fine. Ironically she hit me right under the chin with her helmet, which knocked me out. I've also been over 60 miles an hour on skis (GPS measured). I would classify myself as an expert skier and my "average" cruising speed on groomed blue runs is about 40-45 mph (which is only slightly higher than the average skier, BTW). I own two helmets, but most of the time, I choose not to wear one. This is mainly because of the reduction in my peripheral hearing which I use to sense skier/boarders coming up from behind me.

Edit: I should also add that the data presented above applies only to ADULTS and that kids are much safer in a helmet. Helmets do add some increased level of protection for adults as well, proved that you DO NOT modify your behavior when you wear one.

Travelin 02-14-2014 09:17 AM

Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, lying in a coma in a French hospital since a December skiing accident, has overcome a lung infection, German daily Bild reported on Friday.
The newspaper had reported two days earlier that Schumacher had contracted pneumonia last week, but it said on Friday that the infection in fact had happened earlier and "this week no longer spells an acute danger".
"Therefore Schumi has already won the fight against pneumonia," said the top-selling daily, using the popular nickname for the 45-year-old German racing driver.
Schumacher has been in intensive care in Grenoble University Hospital since his December 29 accident in the Alpine resort of Meribel in which he hit his head against a rock in an impact strong enough to crack his helmet.
After surgery to reduce bleeding and bruising he was placed in a medically induced coma and his body temperature lowered to reduce the risk of further damage.
Schumacher's spokesman said on January 30 that the drugs used to keep him in a coma were being reduced with a view to bringing him back to consciousness.
His family said on Thursday he was "still in a waking up process" which could take a long time.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/schumacher-...5.html#rO0RgHO