CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Have we turned the corner? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202798)

Eug Cock 01-04-2014 02:40 PM

Have we turned the corner?

We had a little hiccup against SC State but overall we've looked pretty good/better in the last few games.

Are we seeing real improvement?

Still too soon to tell?

Is this Frank's system working?

I hope so and I can't wait to see us in SEC play!

CoverTwo 01-04-2014 02:41 PM

Re: Have we turned the corner?

Going to find out against Florida in the O-Dome.

FanofCarolina1 01-04-2014 03:03 PM

Still too soon to tell.

garnet_black215 01-04-2014 03:10 PM

We've seen some improvement, sure, but it's too soon to tell if we've turned the corner. We'll see how far we've come when we play the Gators.

Luke Skycocker 01-04-2014 04:31 PM

Yes we are improved. That being said, we're not going to be able to hang in there against Florida on the road

Eug Cock 01-04-2014 05:13 PM

Yeah...I'm not expecting to go whoop up on Florida necessarily.
I guess I'm asking if we're showing that we can be consistently competitive.
That is, playing close to our potential on a regular basis.

markp_vip 01-04-2014 08:14 PM

I think we need to see the first few games of the conference schedule to know.

baitandswitch 01-04-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eug Cock (Post 4047680)
We had a little hiccup against SC State but overall we've looked pretty good/better in the last few games.

Are we seeing real improvement?

Still too soon to tell?

Is this Frank's system working?

I hope so and I can't wait to see us in SEC play!

Our defense was atrocious against SC State. We gave up 17 offensive rebounds and were outrebounded overall. We allowed SCST to score 1.1 points per possession, which was the highest output their team has had all year. We can't play poorly against Florida and expect to be in the game.

I do think there has been improvement. I think L-Chat should see the floor a little more than he has as he's been extremely productive offensively and defensively. I'm very pleased with guard play and if we can get Sin to settle down offensively we will be a tough team to play for the lack of experience we have.

CockTail 01-05-2014 12:01 AM

I expect this team to be VERY inconsistent. I think we may get a surprise win here or there and potentially get blown out a few as well. This team is young, with a lack of scorers and shooters. We simply don't have enough talent to be .500 in the SEC.

We have turned the corner and and entered the freeway going in the wrong direction.

We still need two more years of recruiting and development.

baitandswitch 01-05-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockTail (Post 4048185)
I expect this team to be VERY inconsistent. I think we may get a surprise win here or there and potentially get blown out a few as well. This team is young, with a lack of scorers and shooters. We simply don't have enough talent to be .500 in the SEC.

We have turned the corner and and entered the freeway going in the wrong direction.

We still need two more years of recruiting and development.

I would change talent to development. We're not really so devoid of talent, that we can't beat teams in the SEC. Maybe to win a championship, but to be .500 in the SEC I think we just lack experience and development.

Frank Martin has shown he doesn't have to have the cream of the crop to win, you just have to fit his system and buy in to what he's teaching. He never fantastic recruiting classes at KSU, although he did have 2 five star recruits. He's already got one five star in Sin, and a legit shot at two more in Seventh and Dozier. He's recruited 2 top 150 players in Stroman and Blanton. With the talent we are getting he will have enough to work with to win in the SEC.:bballcoc:

Cockhornleghorn 01-05-2014 01:32 AM

Yes, we've improved, but no, we aren't ready to make a run for the conference title.

M.C. 01-05-2014 02:14 AM

no way we are gonna struggle big time in conference play maybe 3 wins max

TwoNotch Dreams 01-05-2014 03:06 AM

Depends on what your measure for improvement is.

If you want a comparison:

Offensive rating:

2012: 98.1 / 2013: 107.2 (+9.1)

Defensive rating:

2012: 102.3 / 2013: 99.0 (+3.3)

So, there are some strides being made. I'm not sure what to expect in conference play. We have one of the youngest teams in the conference, so we might be prone to losing a lot more. I'll say this though, our effort is much better overall. Defensively the players are making the right rotations, contesting shots, recovering to shooters, and trusting one another. On offense, the shot selection is better, we move the ball better, and we have better ball handlers and playmakers with the additions of Thornwell, Notice and Johnson.

I like our team going forward. We're not going to be world beaters this season, but they are definitely becoming more of a traditional Frank Martin team. I'm hoping for the best in SEC play.

ReadR00ster 01-05-2014 03:39 AM

When we get into the NIT. They we turned the corner.

Regalcock 01-05-2014 04:01 AM

We have a long way to go but I am encouraged and feel frank is the answer. He just needs time like SOS did. The football team had talent but no depth. The bball team was left with very little of either.

TheMule 01-05-2014 10:07 AM

Haven't turned the corner but I feel that we've started getting into the curve. Long way to go yet with many inconsistencies but there is at least improvement and it looks like the players are buying into the system