CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Eats (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Stir-Fry (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202862)

hellraiser24 01-06-2014 01:29 PM

Stir-Fry

I recently received a wok from my white elephant gift exchange at work. I have little experience cooking stir-fry myself, but would love to try any recipes you might have. Does anyone have a good one they are willing to share? Thank you.

Cockypantherfan 01-06-2014 01:36 PM

Re: Stir-Fry

Just seeing the headline when I got on Cockytalk and not checking what area the thread was in, I thought this was a new nickname for Elliot Fry or something. Lol..

hellraiser24 01-06-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4049509)
Just seeing the headline when I got on Cockytalk and not checking what area the thread was in, I thought this was a new nickname for Elliot Fry or something. Lol..

:lol:

The Yancey 01-06-2014 01:40 PM

Is it electric or conventional?

hellraiser24 01-06-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4049519)
Is it electric or conventional?

It's a carbon steel wok made by IMUSA and says it works on both gas and electric. Link

MeesterFriendly 01-06-2014 02:19 PM

The cool thing about a Wok is that you can stir fry just about anything. Generally it is a mixture of meat & veg with a light sauce. Try this, works every time

Choose your fresh veg, cut all in approximately the same size.
Buy a pound or less of fresh shrimp depending on how many are eating

First heat your wok to rocket hot, as hot as you can go. Add about a tablespoon or two of canola oil & immediately add the veg. toss veg for a couple of minutes never ever walking away from it. Remove the veg when tender but still has a bite. Put another tablespoon or so of oil in wok & throw in shrimp, toss around until about half done & add some Soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil & I always like to add a teaspoon of hoisin sauce, use some chicken stock to loosen it a bit then throw your veg back in. If you want it to be a thicker sauce just take some corn starch mixed with water & add until consistency you want. Remove & eat.

hellraiser24 01-06-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly (Post 4049568)
The cool thing about a Wok is that you can stir fry just about anything. Generally it is a mixture of meat & veg with a light sauce. Try this, works every time

First heat your wok to rocket hot, as hot as you can go. Add about a tablespoon or two of canola oil & immediately add the veg. toss veg for a couple of minutes never ever walking away from it. Remove the veg when tender but still has a bite. Put another tablespoon or so of oil in wok & throw in shrimp, toss around until about half done & add some Soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil & I always like to add a teaspoon of hoisin sauce, use some chicken stock to loosen it a bit then throw your veg back in. If you want it to be a thicker sauce just take some corn starch mixed with water & add until consistency you want. Remove & eat.

Thank you for those simple instructions. I have some shrimp in the freezer that I will thaw this week and strir-fry for dinner. I have little experience creating sauces, so your recommendation of chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, and corn starch was helpful.

uscbrasco 01-06-2014 02:40 PM

I know its blasphemy, but some of the store bought stir fry sauces are pretty decent as well.

Just follow the above instructions for your favorite veggies and protein and add sauce...

Frosty 01-06-2014 02:45 PM

find an asian grocery store and get a bottle or 5 of garlic oil, I use my wok foe cooking just about everything thats quick

The Yancey 01-06-2014 03:11 PM

I don't particularly care for most stir fry stuff. Sometimes I do some things like onions and broccoli or fried rice in the wok though. Grab a small bottle of sesame oil. Use it for flavoring. For high temp stir frying go with peanut, canola, or grapeseed oil.

sporkgod50 01-06-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly (Post 4049568)

you can also take this same procedure and sub in terriyaki sauce for soy for some flavor variety. I just made one with orange juice and asian chili paste as the sauce. the great thing about woks and stir fry is that unless you are an incredibly picky person you can usually find a sauce/meat and vegetable combo that you'll like and it is about the fastest way you could cook anything.

ra742002 01-09-2014 03:39 PM

CRISPY ORANGE CHICKEN recipe....google it!

The Yancey 01-09-2014 04:56 PM

Grab a free sample of Komodo teriyaki sauce here: http://www.komodosauces.com/pr/teriyakisample/