CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Texas booster Red McCombs bashes Charlie Strong Hire (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202949)

eightohhthree 01-07-2014 10:56 PM

Texas booster Red McCombs bashes Charlie Strong Hire

I couldn't believe the Audio when I heard it. This is why Texas is the most hated program in college football. The entitlement is sickening.

They act like the biggest NFL coaches and college coaches are going to drop everything they are doing and start duking it out because the job in Austin is open.

Personally I thought the Strong hire was very good, but apparently the some of the folks in Austin don't think so. We all know about Strong though, Red McCombs says he thinks that Charlie "would be a good position coach", and that the hire was "a kick in the face".

Im positive that 80% of their fan base, including this booster don't realize that Charlie is a proven commodity in the SEC with a decade worth of work. Charlie has earned everything he's gotten, and I hope he proves the ALL wrong. Im sure he will.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ie-strong-hire

garnet_black215 01-07-2014 10:59 PM

Re: Texas booster Red McCombs bashes Charlie Strong Hire

Welcome to Austin, Charlie.

uscsabres 01-07-2014 11:17 PM

McCombs obviously has a problem with having a head coach that's so melanin-enriched. This has nothing to do with his abilities as a coach.

Lalli25 01-07-2014 11:30 PM

This guy is an idiot. If he and the boosters are so football savvy then he should know Strong has been a coordinator for over 10 years and a head coach for 4 years. So no he shouldn't be a position coach. I don't know if it is racism or what but this guy is a fool. The thing about Strong, is he has been screwed over by schools because of his race and then by others for being married to a white woman.

Strong earned the Texas job and I hope he shows this booster how dumb he is and then leaves Texas high and dry. It would make me so happy if he kick ass over the next 2 years and then ditched them for at he NFL or some other college job.

b381l 01-07-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightohhthree (Post 4051815)
I couldn't believe the Audio when I heard it. This is why Texas is the most hated program in college football. The entitlement is sickening.

They act like the biggest NFL coaches and college coaches are going to drop everything they are doing and start duking it out because the job in Austin is open.

Personally I thought the Strong hire was very good, but apparently the some of the folks in Austin don't think so. We all know about Strong though, Red McCombs says he thinks that Charlie "would be a good position coach", and that the hire was "a kick in the face".

Im positive that 80% of their fan base, including this booster don't realize that Charlie is a proven commodity in the SEC with a decade worth of work. Charlie has earned everything he's gotten, and I hope he proves the ALL wrong. Im sure he will.

The real question is how far down the original list was Charlie. Maybe we have all over thought this Texas job.....with clowns like this, what makes this job so great.

catdaddy66 01-07-2014 11:48 PM

They want a kiss a$$ but Charlie isn't what they envision as being the schmoozer or sycophant to lead them.

Barry_gamecock 01-08-2014 12:08 AM

Texas is about to start raking in number 1 recruiting classes. I would also wager a national title for Texas within 5 years.

JohnnyB21 01-08-2014 12:18 AM

He'll be kissing his ass in a year or so.

roosterdude21 01-08-2014 12:35 AM

Strong has the skills. I hope he proves them all wrong and then bolts on them in 2-3 years. "...Mike Jooooooones"

b381l 01-08-2014 12:58 AM

Charlie is a football coach not a PR guy....I'm not sure how well that's going over with some of their wealthy alums.

Goofyboy 01-08-2014 01:07 AM

Hey, it's Texas. Amazing how rich alumni sometimes think their money and donations allow them to trump the decisions of people tasked with doing the job. Big ego owners of pro sports teams have often found their meddling to be counter-productive.

Acockolypse Now 01-08-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game.
Holy shit being Texas AD must suck.

Clowneygotcha 01-08-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightohhthree (Post 4051815)

Wonder what they would have said if they Hired Spurrier. THIS IS AWESOME.. is something that comes to mind.. too bad for them lol

usctiburon03 01-08-2014 01:25 AM

With Red's comments aside, Strong was a very underwhelming hire for Texas. Doesn't mean for one second that he won't do well, because he probably will, but it is a long way from a home run hire.....maybe more like legging out a double because the outfielder took too long getting the ball back in to the cutoff man.

Goofyboy 01-08-2014 01:59 AM

From what I've seen of Strong, he's more of a player's coach and a hard worker than a kisser of important hindparts or a schmoozer. Maybe that doesn't play in Texas.

b381l 01-08-2014 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4051961)
From what I've seen of Strong, he's more of a player's coach and a hard worker than a kisser of important hindparts or a schmoozer. Maybe that doesn't play in Texas.

this is exactly what I'm thinking too.....

Roosterboy 01-08-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscsabres (Post 4051837)
McCombs obviously has a problem with having a head coach that's so melanin-enriched. This has nothing to do with his abilities as a coach.

That was my thought.
Texas got a damn good coach in Strong...I expect them to be competing for national titles again very soon. NOt next year, but in three years, Texas will be back.

Roosterboy 01-08-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyboy (Post 4051961)

I gurantee it will start playing when he start winning and kicking the crap out of Oklahoma.

Regalcock 01-08-2014 02:26 PM

Hope he has one really good season and bolts for the nfl.

usc90grad 01-08-2014 02:54 PM

Strong is a good coach with a lot of potential. But you don't land gigs at TX based on potential. I think the booster should be pissed at the Texas AD and not Strong.