CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Maddux & Glavine first ballot HOF (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=202977)

spareparts 01-08-2014 03:43 PM

Maddux & Glavine first ballot HOF

Gather round, children, and let me tell you about the GREATEST PITCHING ROTATION OF ALL TIME.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...2014-announced

I once saw Maddux pitch a game at Fulton County Stadium that lasted about one hour and twenty minutes. He was just mowing down people, getting them out on first-pitch grounders and I think his pitch count was one of the lowest in MLB history. I honestly think we only went to the concession stand once because the game was so short. After the game was over, he told the media something to the effect of, "it was really hot out there and I just didn't feel like being out in that heat all day."

Dude was IN FRICKING CREDIBLE.

Glavine, for the record = alien space being.

bigdawg77 01-08-2014 03:44 PM

Re: Maddux & Glavine first ballot HOF

Cockytalk Cooperstown vacation? Maddux, Glavine and Bobby all going in

Thenardier 01-08-2014 03:47 PM

Woooo "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas also got in, War Eagle.

Regalcock 01-08-2014 03:53 PM

Well deserved! Mad dog and glavine were surgeons on the mound.

Cockypantherfan 01-08-2014 04:17 PM

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz might go down as the best pitching trio in MLB history. I absolutely loved being able to watch these guys pitch while cheering for the team they play for. Well deserved indeed.

markymark550 01-08-2014 04:27 PM

Definitely well deserved for Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas. As a Braves fan, I'm glad to see Maddux and Glavine along with Bobby Cox get inducted to the HOF in the same year.

Sucks for Craig Biggio though. Fell 2 votes short of induction. I think it's a farce that he wasn't elected last year or this year. Dude's a no-brainer candidate imo.

warriorchief 01-08-2014 04:31 PM

I've seen Glavine and Maddux pitch countless times when I was younger. I was spoiled enough to go to at least one game a month with my siblings. I've witnessed some masterful performances by both over the years. I always thought Maddux was some kind of magician. He didn't have the power to blow you away, but he was an absolute genius, and had the accuracy of a sniper.

Was always convinced you could place a strike-anywhere match on a stand at home plate, and Maddux could throw a pitch and light it.

spareparts 01-08-2014 04:42 PM

Maddux is probably the most amazing pitcher I have ever seen live, and that includes some serious names and quite a few playoff and WS games by others. He was seriously amazing live

35-21 01-08-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4052564)
Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz might go down as the best pitching trio in MLB history. I absolutely loved being able to watch these guys pitch while cheering for the team they play for. Well deserved indeed.

I grew up worshiping those guys, but I think that award has to go to Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, and Mike Cuellar of the early 70s Orioles.

Congrats to Greg, Tom, and Bobby.

Lowcountry Gamecock 01-08-2014 05:07 PM

Smoltzie will be in there soon enough with them, I loved watching them on summer evenings as a young man who was absolutely in love with the game of baseball.

Cockypantherfan 01-08-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorchief (Post 4052590)
I've seen Glavine and Maddux pitch countless times when I was younger. I was spoiled enough to go to at least one game a month with my siblings. I've witnessed some masterful performances by both over the years. I always thought Maddux was some kind of magician. He didn't have the power to blow you away, but he was an absolute genius, and had the accuracy of a sniper.

Was always convinced you could place a strike-anywhere match on a stand at home plate, and Maddux could throw a pitch and light it.

His back door pitches were ridiculous. I've seen so many hitters take strike 3 looking at a pitch that seemed outside, but at the last second would catch the plate.

COCKYWOOD 01-08-2014 05:46 PM

:clap::clap::clap: Both well deserved and going in with the Coach makes it even better ! :wink::wink::wink:

bigdawg77 01-08-2014 05:47 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/6/1/2/6422...F_saydozgf.gif

markymark550 01-08-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4052662)
His back door pitches were ridiculous. I've seen so many hitters take strike 3 looking at a pitch that seemed outside, but at the last second would catch the plate.

Yeah, both his 2-seam fastball and circle change would do that. All you would see is the hitter's knees buckle, then a dejected walk back to the dugout.

SC Sandlapper 01-08-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4052603)
Maddux is probably the most amazing pitcher I have ever seen live, and that includes some serious names and quite a few playoff and WS games by others. He was seriously amazing live

Ditto, he carved people up like nobody I have ever seen, amazing movement on the ball and you could tell he was several steps ahead of the people he faced. I knew he and Glavine would get this, and so will Smoltzie when his time comes, absolute no brainers for Cooperstown.

Regalcock 01-08-2014 08:13 PM

Maddux was just as good against lefties as righties due to the back door breaking ball y'all just mentioned. It would look like he was throwing right at the lefty and then the ball would break back on the inside of the plate. Just nasty.

donbgamecock 01-08-2014 08:28 PM

I was at Wrigley field on opening day the year after Maddux left the cubbies for the Braves. I was a bleacher bum rooting for the Braves. The fans all hated him for bailing out on them. He pitched a 3 hitter and the Braves won 1-0. I almost missed the game but my brother convinced me to postpone my business meeting and go with them. I am so glad I did. It is the most memorable baseball game I ever went to.

warriorchief 01-09-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4052662)

Exactly, then just stand there thinking "man... REALLY?!?!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4052698)
Yeah, both his 2-seam fastball and circle change would do that. All you would see is the hitter's knees buckle, then a dejected walk back to the dugout.

I swear that's baseball's version of a 'Walk of Shame', especially when Maddux made you look just stupid staring at a backdoor pitch that comes back and skims the edge of the plate.

GamecockNeal 01-09-2014 08:36 AM

Who cares...big hurt for life!!!!!! This was like the best day of my life.

ChuckyCock 01-09-2014 10:20 AM

And this commercial still cracks me up.

Congrats, guys. Thanks for spoiling us for so many years.