CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   as of now, who is in the cb 2 deep for (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203012)

sc455 01-09-2014 02:49 PM

as of now, who is in the cb 2 deep for

2014?

CarolinaGnB521 01-09-2014 03:25 PM

Re: as of now, who is in the cb 2 deep for

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4053656)
2014?

I'm hoping for:

CB1 - Rico McWilliams ; Ali Groves
CB2 - Ronnie Martin ; Sidney Rhodes

But that's not including any incoming freshman. We're thin at CB right now obviously.

bhs04 01-09-2014 03:31 PM

Think they're moving Jamari back to CB. Not sure how long it'll last, but I would say he would be higher on the depth chart than Rhodes would be if true.

CarolinaGnB521 01-09-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhs04 (Post 4053704)
Think they're moving Jamari back to CB. Not sure how long it'll last, but I would say he would be higher on the depth chart than Rhodes would be if true.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. You're right though, he'd be higher than Rhodes, possibly higher than Martin. Staff had lots of praise for J. Smith when he was at CB this past fall camp.

He wants to play where he will get on the field - and obviously there is a better chance at CB than RB, so I assume he'll stay.

CB1 : Rico McWilliams - Ali Groves
CB2 : Ronnie Martin OR Jamari Smith - (3) Sidney Rhodes

Roosterboy 01-09-2014 03:41 PM

CB1: Rico McWilliams, Ali Groves
CB2: Ronnie Martin, Jamari Smith

I also think we move a safety to corner, possibly TJ Gurley or Chris Moody. Heck, give Jasper Sasser a shot at CB.
(Gurley was a CB at Cairo, and Moody could be a big, physical corner if he has the hip flexibility)

JT21 01-09-2014 04:10 PM

Don't think Gurley and Moody are ideal athletically for CB. The same goes for Brison Williams, even though he's supposedly worked some there prior to the bowl game.

Certainly the incoming freshman will have every opportunity to come in and play right away, if not start.

Roosterboy 01-09-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT21 (Post 4053756)
Don't think Gurley and Moody are ideal athletically for CB. The same goes for Brison Williams, even though he's supposedly worked some there prior to the bowl game.

Certainly the incoming freshman will have every opportunity to come in and play right away, if not start.

You may be right.
It all depends on who we bring in.

CarolinaGnB521 01-09-2014 04:47 PM

Vic leaving, Ahmad transferring hurts us badly. Not saying I wish either would've stayed, they got to do what they got to do. But ideally we'd want them back obviously.

Hopefully an incoming freshman can have an impact.

Cockypantherfan 01-09-2014 04:55 PM

CB is for sure a scary position for us next season. Spring / fall camp will be really interesting to see who emerges. I expect two incoming CBs to log significant snaps during their freshman season.

4gamecockfb 01-09-2014 05:04 PM

im thinking lammons, green and smith would all play their first year. Harris Jr. I think will need to bulk up a little and will prob. rs

usctiburon03 01-09-2014 05:24 PM

It's kinda scary that Martin may be a starter. I really think if we weren't so short on CB's, he would fit the bill as somewhere who helps "make the numbers work."

Cockypantherfan 01-09-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb (Post 4053830)
im thinking lammons, green and smith would all play their first year. Harris Jr. I think will need to bulk up a little and will prob. rs

And unless I am thinking of someone else, I think he has to rehab an injury.

bhs04 01-09-2014 06:27 PM

Darin smalls tore his ACL. I think Harris jr. Had a hamstring problem but he'll be fine.

Everything I've seen on Harris is that he is one of the most technically sound cb's coming into college and if he had ten more pounds on him he would be graded much higher.

If he comes in and shows some cover skills, I bet he gets playing time with our depth issues.

conwaycock2 01-09-2014 09:13 PM

The situation is bad enough that B. Williams will receive lots of reps at CB according to Ward. He wants Williams to be ready in an emergency situation so that tells you something.
Williams looks much, much better suited to safety, at least to me, (which means absolutely nothing) than CB but Ward knows what he's got & will make the best of the hand he's holding.

4gamecockfb 01-09-2014 11:12 PM

A lot is riding on who signs with us in early February. There's enough talent there with some recruits to beat out some guys that are already on the team.

cockofstono 01-09-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4053722)
CB1: Rico McWilliams, Ali Groves
CB2: Ronnie Martin, Jamari Smith

I also think we move a safety to corner, possibly TJ Gurley or Chris Moody. Heck, give Jasper Sasser a shot at CB.
(Gurley was a CB at Cairo, and Moody could be a big, physical corner if he has the hip flexibility)

IMO Pass Defense was light years better when Gurley
was playing Free Safety. So I like him there but he
might be a good CB..

4gamecockfb 01-09-2014 11:15 PM

I like gurley and moody playing safety. Personally I don't think either have the speed to play cb

b381l 01-09-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usctiburon03 (Post 4053872)
It's kinda scary that Martin may be a starter. I really think if we weren't so short on CB's, he would fit the bill as somewhere who helps "make the numbers work."

exactly.....I don't to see him back next season.

4gamecockfb 01-09-2014 11:27 PM

Is Martin really that unimpressive?

b381l 01-09-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb (Post 4054220)
Is Martin really that unimpressive?

I think injuries have certainly been a major factor.....the rest, I don't know.