CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203018)

JaxcockFL 01-09-2014 07:51 PM

Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:

(CNN) -- The death threats, Mary Willingham expected.
More shocking is that the University of North Carolina is now disavowing her research as a whistleblower -- research that showed between 8% and 10% of the school's football and basketball players are reading below a third-grade level.
UNC issued a statement Wednesday night saying it did not believe Willingham's account of a basketball player who could not read or write
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/nca...html?hpt=hp_c2

2000grad 01-09-2014 08:00 PM

Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Mess with the money and you go hoffa

JaxcockFL 01-09-2014 08:07 PM

Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Yep, those baby blue hoodlums are going to beat her with their penny-loafers.

BleedsGarnet 01-09-2014 08:26 PM

I wouldn't cast stones people.

I still think it should be a requirement that random tests be given to all student athletes and they be monitored by outside sources to determine if said "athlete" can actually learn in a college environment. I know of at least two people who were denied scholarships to South Carolina during my tenure that would have done great things in the name of our university. Instead those two scholorships were given to eventual dropouts or student athletes that had trouble reading at a 3rd grade level.

This happens in all schools including Clemson, you think Watkins, Hopkins, Spiller, or Ellington legitimately made it in?

Better yet, look at the Mythological "Harvard, or Yale, or Stanford". There are people currently attending, and will graduate based on things other than their education. It's a PC sham in most Ivy league schools now. MIT, CalTech, and similar schools may be an exception due to their Technological Specialties and not being able to BS such a degree as you can a "Lawyer (who hasn't passed a bar/Community Organizer) type of person.

JaxcockFL 01-09-2014 08:30 PM

As I wrote elsewhere, I have no problem casting stones at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill because of their insistence that they were doing it the "Carolina way." They have looked down their noses at the rest of the collegiate world and should enjoy the hell out of the crap sandwich that they have made.

Spurrier_Superior_One 01-09-2014 08:34 PM

So says a school that allowed student athletes to pass classes that never existed.

taylorssc 01-09-2014 11:59 PM

She should steer clear of anybody in Bermuda shorts until this blows over.

GoldenSpur7 01-10-2014 12:05 AM

http://sportshoopla.urecipescom.netd...s/facepalm.gif

Acockolypse Now 01-10-2014 02:47 AM

The assassin that gets her will be wearing Duck Heads.

OldPat 01-10-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4054371)
The assassin that gets her will be wearing Duck Heads.

Guess that's why they call him the Duck Head Dork; hear he's a real bad boy.
Hear they sent him after Scooter Girl(Bobby P's playmate). Haven't heard anything 'bout her lately. Hmm, I wonder...
Gotta save Deano's souffle for baby blue posterity; Can't have no stompin' feet makin' it fall.

me4USC 01-10-2014 04:57 PM

People are intelligent in different ways. I don't think you can standardize intelligence, nor do I think athletes with learning disabilities should be denied access to their sport on a collegiate level. I have no problem with a football player who has dyslexia receiving a football scholarship as long as he goes to class and does his best. He may have to have his tests read aloud to him. There's nothing wrong with that. I once had a student who was 16 in the third grade. He was failing everything, but I knew he answered questions in class. He wasn't stupid. When I took him aside and read the tests to him, he made B's. He knew the material, but he couldn't read the questions. He owns a trucking business now.

The dyslexic athlete probably will never graduate, though he may have a shot at the NFL. He is being prepared for a job at which he can excel. That's a good thing.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Biocockanics 01-10-2014 05:04 PM

Strange...people here are roasting UNC for it, I promise USC has student-athletes that wouldn't make it in college either

so does UGA, LSU, CCU...all colleges do it.

JaxcockFL 01-10-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4054782)
Strange...people here are roasting UNC for it, I promise USC has student-athletes that wouldn't make it in college either

See post 5

Do all colleges do it while saying they do if the "Carolina Way"? I don't recall USC patting themselves for doing it better while doing it the same way.

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 05:58 PM

some of those UNC players were grading themselves and signing the professors name for classes that never existed, yikes i dont think every school does that

Quote:

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. -- A former professor at the center of an academic scandal involving athletes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been charged with a felony, accused of receiving $12,000 in payment for a lecture course in which he held no classes.
A grand jury on Monday indicted Julius Nyang'Oro with a single felony count of obtaining property by false pretenses.
Nyang'Oro was chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. He resigned from that post in 2011 during a campus investigation that found certain classes in the department that instructors did not teach, undocumented grade changes and faked faculty signatures on some grade reports.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-no-show-class

sandstorm2001 01-10-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4054782)

You also don't see us providing someone the info to prove it and then calling them a liar when it goes public.

sandstorm2001 01-10-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me4USC (Post 4054772)
People are intelligent in different ways. I don't think you can standardize intelligence, nor do I think athletes with learning disabilities should be denied access to their sport on a collegiate level. I have no problem with a football player who has dyslexia receiving a football scholarship as long as he goes to class and does his best. He may have to have his tests read aloud to him. There's nothing wrong with that. I once had a student who was 16 in the third grade. He was failing everything, but I knew he answered questions in class. He wasn't stupid. When I took him aside and read the tests to him, he made B's. He knew the material, but he couldn't read the questions. He owns a trucking business now.

The dyslexic athlete probably will never graduate, though he may have a shot at the NFL. He is being prepared for a job at which he can excel. That's a good thing.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

If they have a learning disability that can be proven and diagnosed I think exceptions can be made as they can and are for non-athletes. I also don't think 10% of any schools athletes have learning disabilities that severe so the point you're making isn't really valid.

MWard 04-22-2014 09:01 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/us/unc...html?hpt=hp_t3

unc whistle blower, Mary Willingham, announces her intent to leave unc because of a hostile work environment.

"A whistle-blower whose research on athletes' literacy caused a firestorm of controversy at the University of North Carolina is leaving, she told CNN on Monday.
Mary Willingham said it's her choice. She said she hasn't yet turned in a final letter of resignation but simply informed her boss that she plans to leave before the end of the semester.

"It's been a hostile work environment the entire year," Willingham told CNN. "I stuck it out because I wanted to make good on promises to my students, but it has not been fun."

UNC did not immediately respond to CNN's requests for comment.

Willingham was one of the original UNC staff members to publicly call attention to a system of "paper classes" at UNC. She told the The News & Observer newspaper in nearby Raleigh that athletes were pushed into classes that required very little work and no attendance." -from the article.

Looks like she got processed for speaking out.

roosterdude21 04-22-2014 09:09 AM

Who read her comments to the players?

MWard 04-22-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterdude21 (Post 4140323)
Who read her comments to the players?

Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/4/9/...caa-title-team

She basically calls out the 2005 * National Championship team as most of them were AFAM majors.

OldPat 04-22-2014 11:07 AM

Today we know the foundation of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success was Papa Sam Gilbert.
Today we know the price of Cam Newton's father's integrity.
Today we know scandal-plagued UNC is the most lawless institution in NCAA history.
Today we know the NCAA & Mark Emmert are a paper tiger.

A few moments ago I accessed my browser, typed in 'UNC scandal' and hit enter. A few moments and 2.4 million hits later, more answers.

Today the color of delusion is powder blue.
Today it doesn't matter that the NCAA doesn't have a pair because the court of public opinion has decided to do your job for you.
Today both UNC & the NCAA have become laughingstocks in the eyes of the American people.
And finally, today Mary Willingham matters because she showed us more integrity than UNC & the NCAA combined.

Dr. P, I can't believe we don't have a place for a woman like her if she'll re-locate.