CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   1999 We've come a LONG way (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203021)

Barry_gamecock 01-09-2014 11:16 PM

1999 We've come a LONG way
 
In 1999 we lost every single game.
Our SEASON total for points was 87.
We scored over 10 points in a game just TWO times.
Against NC State, East Carolina, Mississippi State, and Florida
combined we scored 6 points.

This season we scored 70 against Coastal in one game.

I was just reflecting on the past. Never forget the fans tearing down
the goal posts because we beat New Mexico State to end the draught.

garnet_black215 01-09-2014 11:17 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Thankfully I only vaguely remember those days.

roosterdude21 01-09-2014 11:23 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Brad Scott. Big loser douche

Barry_gamecock 01-09-2014 11:31 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Holtz was our coach that year following Brad Scotts one win campaign (but perhaps you only meant to blame him for the condition he left the program in)

rrsandersjr 01-10-2014 01:32 AM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock (Post 4054198)
In 1999 we lost every single game.
Our SEASON total for points was 87.
We scored over 10 points in a game just TWO times.
Against NC State, East Carolina, Mississippi State, and Florida
combined we scored 6 points.

This season we scored 70 against Coastal in one game.

I was just reflecting on the past. Never forget the fans tearing down
the goal posts because we beat New Mexico State to end the draught.

That was the first year that I remember the "that's another Carolina first down" cheer...we cheered first downs because that was about all we could cheer about.

Acockolypse Now 01-10-2014 02:30 AM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I was in the stands.

Cheering.

TKE226 01-10-2014 09:48 AM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I was a sophomore during the 1999 campaign. Haha my first two years we were 1-21. And I was there every game.

roosterdude21 01-10-2014 10:14 AM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock (Post 4054224)
Holtz was our coach that year following Brad Scotts one win campaign (but perhaps you only meant to blame him for the condition he left the program in)

Yep. He was captain of the ship when it was run aground

RockRocks787 01-10-2014 01:57 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I remember those days. Back when some games could still only be heard on the radio.

JaxcockFL 01-10-2014 02:34 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
We got killed on the OL.

We did not allow the taters to celebrate at midfield when they won.

anyone remember the Zero bars that they threw?

cack 01-10-2014 02:34 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Which goes back to prove, Lou Holtz did just as much for our University/Program, as Steve Spurrier is doing. Lou Holtz was the guy to get us out of the dumps and get people talking about South Carolina Football in a positive way. He wasn't the guy we needed to stand against the powers to be or improve facilities, but he was the guy we needed on Saturdays to get us on the right path. I remember in the early Spurrier years people used to blast Coach Holtz because of his final season, and some of the (minor) issues he left behind. To me, Lou Holtz deserves just as much praise for where our program is now, as Steve Spurrier does.

Lonnie 01-10-2014 03:04 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4054363)
I was in the stands.

Cheering.


Quote:

Originally Posted by TKE226 (Post 4054444)
I was a sophomore during the 1999 campaign. Haha my first two years we were 1-21. And I was there every game.

:clap:

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 03:26 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cack (Post 4054674)
Which goes back to prove, Lou Holtz did just as much for our University/Program, as Steve Spurrier is doing. Lou Holtz was the guy to get us out of the dumps and get people talking about South Carolina Football in a positive way. He wasn't the guy we needed to stand against the powers to be or improve facilities, but he was the guy we needed on Saturdays to get us on the right path. I remember in the early Spurrier years people used to blast Coach Holtz because of his final season, and some of the (minor) issues he left behind. To me, Lou Holtz deserves just as much praise for where our program is now, as Steve Spurrier does.

I agree.
The only thing Lou did wrong was that he stayed on too long.
He should've left after the second outback bowl and given the program to one of his assistance (I think Charlie Strong was still on staff), or Skip. Of course, if that happened, we probably don't get Spurrier.

CarolinaGnB521 01-10-2014 03:39 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cack (Post 4054674)
Which goes back to prove, Lou Holtz did just as much for our University/Program, as Steve Spurrier is doing. Lou Holtz was the guy to get us out of the dumps and get people talking about South Carolina Football in a positive way. He wasn't the guy we needed to stand against the powers to be or improve facilities, but he was the guy we needed on Saturdays to get us on the right path. I remember in the early Spurrier years people used to blast Coach Holtz because of his final season, and some of the (minor) issues he left behind. To me, Lou Holtz deserves just as much praise for where our program is now, as Steve Spurrier does.

There are people on this board that still blast Lou Holtz.

BlueHerons 01-10-2014 06:25 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I remember those days and was there tearing down the goal post. I remember crying from the relief that the horrible time was over and I wasn't the only one in the stands crying.

Saying we've come a long way is an understatement.

treyno2722 01-10-2014 07:54 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I remember the night we lost to Vandy and that was when Vandy was awful. The score that night was 11-10. I knew they wouldn't beat Tenn, Florida or Clemson after that. Those were the days when I could listen to the games on the Internet, for free!

boowilliam4 01-10-2014 08:37 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4054363)
I was in the stands.

Cheering.

I was nine years old and my parents stayed four quarters for every single home game. I'm thankful they made me stay and watch until the last play, Helps me realize and appreciate how far we've truly come.

5lbYardcock 01-10-2014 08:44 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
I was drunk as hel but was still at most of the games.

SwampFox 01-10-2014 09:12 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Brad Scott.
A lot of folks believe Sparky Woods was the worst coach we ever had, but at least Sparky did not completely destroy the program like Fatso did. Porky Scott had no business on the sidelines as anything other than the water boys coach.

He was only hired by Bowdin at Moo U for inside information, and because he could call markers due from certain people at USC for additional info, which he was known to have done at least once. After he outlived his usefulness to the Taters, he was thrown out with the rest of the trash.

BlueHerons 01-10-2014 09:16 PM

Re: 1999 We've come a LONG way
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampFox (Post 4055001)
A lot of folks believe Sparky Woods was the worst coach we ever had, but at least Sparky did not completely destroy the program like Fatso did. Porky Scott had no business on the sidelines as anything other than the water boys coach.

He was only hired by Bowdin at Moo U for inside information, and because he could call markers due from certain people at USC for additional info, which he was known to have done at least once. After he outlived his usefulness to the Taters, he was thrown out with the rest of the trash.

Wasn't he with Clemson for ten years? He was useful with inside information for that long?

He isn't coaching anywhere else?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.