CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   dawn staley (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203025)

M.C. 01-10-2014 01:55 AM

dawn staley

What are the chances that she would leave for another program?

Im sure teams are gonna come after her with the job she has been doing..

I really hope she turns them all down

ConwayGamecock 01-10-2014 02:59 AM

Re: dawn staley

Well, Staley was targeted by Ohio State this off-season, and by her Alma Mater Virginia a couple of years ago, and she said no to both.

I have said before that with Pat Summitt's retirement, that Dawn Staley could very easily become the new Head Coaching face of the SEC for women's basketball, and even beyond. She's building something very special here at USC, and the program is well on it's way to becoming an elite program in the sport.

It's not like the results are proving to her that there is a glass ceiling at South Carolina preventing her from achieving the greatest of goals: in fact, it's really been the opposite. She is not only leading the USC program to the greatest success it's ever had, and bringing in the best recruiting classes it's ever had: she's leading it to the greatest success SHE'S ever had and bringing in the best talent that SHE'S ever had as a head coach. IMO everything that can be accomplished anywhere else in women's basketball can be accomplished at USC, unless we're talking about her going to another program that someone else has already built up and ready for her to ride it to glory. I don't think she's interested in her career going that way....

Cockhornleghorn 01-10-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4054351)

Dawn has already turned down her alma mater (Virginia) and Ohio State. I think she's here for the long haul.

FlorenceCock 01-10-2014 03:03 AM

The other two above me beat me to it. She has already been come after by several big time programs and turned them down. It is really important to her to keep her mother who is in poor health in Columbia where she is from so she can have the support group of her family around her to help take care of her. If she turned down UVA then you can pretty much be sure she isn't going to go anywhere else.

Regalcock 01-10-2014 03:35 AM

I think she loves ray tanner also.

GamecockNeal 01-10-2014 03:48 AM

We are now becoming big time. We dont lose coaches, we take them.

Ahmad 01-10-2014 05:47 AM

One thing that could turn her away is her frustration with not being able to host a NCAA tournament game. It affected the team last year by having to travel.

TwoNotch Dreams 01-10-2014 10:46 AM

Unless it was a dream job at a program that's known for winning NCAA titles, I can't see her leaving for a while.

She's done a tremendous job with the program.

scfastpitch 01-10-2014 11:46 AM

As has been pointed out , Dawn has family members nearby . Not only does her Mom live here , but she has a sister , I think , that's not too far away . She is always tweeting about doing things with her nieces and nephews . On the matter of the NCAA tournament , in 2015 the NCAA is supposed to go back to "merit-based" hosting for the first two rounds . So if we are in the top 16 we would host . For subsequent rounds I would love to see the city of Charlotte bid .

DJCatfish 01-10-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfastpitch (Post 4054533)
As has been pointed out , Dawn has family members nearby . Not only does her Mom live here , but she has a sister , I think , that's not too far away . She is always tweeting about doing things with her nieces and nephews . On the matter of the NCAA tournament , in 2015 the NCAA is supposed to go back to "merit-based" hosting for the first two rounds . So if we are in the top 16 we would host . For subsequent rounds I would love to see the city of Charlotte bid .

Does the fact that it is "merit-based" mean that it doesn't count as a predetermined host and thus isn't subject to the NCAA ban?

http://www.dailygamecock.com/article...aa-tournaments

gsquare 01-10-2014 12:12 PM

Don't believe the state of South Carolina can host basketball because of the flag & the NAACP. You reap what you sew. Hope the rebel flag is worth it to you. Ignorant to most

CockTail 01-10-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Dawn Staley

If we don't start capitalizing her name she may leave. :thumbsup:

GamecockInHell 01-10-2014 12:24 PM

THe NCAA ban is stupid. Politics has no room in college athletics.

scfastpitch 01-10-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4054554)
Does the fact that it is "merit-based" mean that it doesn't count as a predetermined host and thus isn't subject to the NCAA ban?

http://www.dailygamecock.com/article...aa-tournaments

That's correct . It will be just like baseball , with the top 16 seeds hosting the first weekend .

Edit - Actually I think baseball only seeds 8 , but women's basketball will seed 16 .

Luke Skycocker 01-10-2014 12:41 PM

Yep, they just changed the rules from predetermined to merit based so we should be able to host starting next year

ReadR00ster 01-10-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsquare (Post 4054564)
Don't believe the state of South Carolina can host basketball because of the flag & the NAACP. You reap what you sew. Hope the rebel flag is worth it to you. Ignorant to most

I don't think people who care about that, care about the effect on college sports programs.

markp_vip 01-10-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsquare (Post 4054564)

So is Kanye West also banned from singing the National Anthem at NCAA Tourney events due to his use of flag in his clothing line?

Carolina4Life 01-10-2014 02:06 PM

If she does get hired away, I say let's go after Dennis Rodman.

lfowens 01-10-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4054351)

I think she feels like a USC national championship is on the horizon. This recruiting class is one of the best in the country already and they are still trying to land the #1 recruit in the nation (from a SC high school). So I think the incoming class along with the young players on board are going to keep Dawn at USC - and a legit run at a national championship for several years!

Nureye 01-10-2014 05:03 PM

I can't see her leaving anytime soon...if at all. If you've been to any games this season you can see that she has built a team that is just on the cusp of greatness. And with the recruiting class she has coming in next season we may be closer than ever before to being at the top.

Women's bball, more than any other sport, is determined by who has the better (tall) athletes on the floor. Dawn is starting to stockpile those athletes, and I think she will want to reap the rewards of her efforts over the years.