CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   PC sales down (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203040)

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 04:09 PM

PC sales down

I was going to buy another laptop for the wifey, until I experienced Windows 8, I wont buy another until they come up with something better, may have to become one of those Apple people, haha

Quote:

Personal computer sales sank even further during the holiday shopping season, capping the steepest annual decline in PC shipments since desktop and laptop machines began to appear on people's wish lists decades ago.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/...ntcmp=features

FlorenceCock 01-10-2014 04:12 PM

Re: PC sales down

I believe it has more to do with the popularity of tablets.

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4054735)
I believe it has more to do with the popularity of tablets.

it could be, but winders8 aint helping either

uscfsu23 01-10-2014 04:30 PM

What did you hate about Windows 8? Just curious bc I have been running it for almost a year with no issue. My wife and kids also run it with no issue. Just wondering what you hated about it.

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscfsu23 (Post 4054746)
What did you hate about Windows 8? Just curious bc I have been running it for almost a year with no issue. My wife and kids also run it with no issue. Just wondering what you hated about it.

i have trouble moving around and finding stuff

you kinda have to move around the billboards

like, it seems there are 4 clicks just to power off

(i purchased a Dell for my kid early last year with windows 8)

i recently received a new work laptop, i know our IT guys wont touch it, we are still running some kind of XP professional

i have Vista on this one :woo:

:lol:

The Yancey 01-10-2014 04:49 PM

Win 8 is great for tablets. I don't care for the metro screen on desktops though. It really caused corporate customers to hold off. Third party apps like StartX allowed you to have your familiar desktop back while keeping the under the hood improvements. Win 8.1 was a big step forward. The update to it coming in April should give a mature experience. I expect corporate to get on board then.

sandstorm2001 01-10-2014 04:55 PM

You know you can still get windows 7 on a PC right? I just built a PC less than a year ago and I put 7 on it.

Antiochus 01-10-2014 04:56 PM

Windows 8 got a lot of hate due to the fact that many people hate relearning how to do stuff, but it is a better OS. It's fast and stable.

COCKYTALKIN 01-10-2014 04:57 PM

Windows 8 is extremely annoying. I use that laptop as seldom as I possibly can.

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiochus (Post 4054770)
Windows 8 got a lot of hate due to the fact that many people hate relearning how to do stuff, but it is a better OS. It's fast and stable.

yep

Captain9Dragons 01-10-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN (Post 4054771)
Windows 8 is extremely annoying. I use that laptop as seldom as I possibly can.

yep

rioninusc 01-10-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4054764)
Win 8 is great for tablets. I don't care for the metro screen on desktops though. It really caused corporate customers to hold off. Third party apps like StartX allowed you to have your familiar desktop back while keeping the under the hood improvements. Win 8.1 was a big step forward. The update to it coming in April should give a mature experience. I expect corporate to get on board then.

Is this what came out to get the old desktop back? because I was hearing Microsoft was also going to release an update to get the old desktop back.

GoonSquad 01-10-2014 05:16 PM

I believe sales of PCs are down because more people are learning how much cheaper it is to build your own.

eightohhthree 01-10-2014 05:22 PM

I personally find Windows 8 to be annoying on my laptop. It is a touch screen, and I almost never touch the screen, because I generally use keyboard shortcuts anyway.

While I'm sure Windows 8 is great (and completely necessary) for the Surface and Tablets, I find it annoying when I brush against my mouse and it cylces through apps.

I downloaded Classic Shell to give me feel of Windows 7.

rioninusc 01-10-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonSquad (Post 4054798)
I believe sales of PCs are down because more people are learning how much cheaper it is to build your own.

Not just cheaper, but better quality, depending on what you get of course.

scfanz 01-10-2014 05:31 PM

Windows 8 is extremely annoying. If I had know what Windows 8 was, then I would not have bought this particular laptop. Having to relearn an operating system is ridiculous.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:32 PM

I think Windows 8 is the main reason.
Luckily I still have a laptop that runs Windows 7 (which I like).

I refuse to buy a Mac though...they are WAY overpriced in my opinion (though I use one at work).

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiochus (Post 4054770)

I hate it because it is meant for cell phones and tablets...but I don't want my computer to have the appearance of a tablet...I hate compartmentalized layouts...I like big, open layouts on my screen, and Windows 8 ain't it.

I'm sure the system works just fine, but the presentation and layout are just a pain in the ass.

Microsoft should've continued building off Windows 7, which worked in my opinion, but did have its gliches.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonSquad (Post 4054798)

I'm leaning to do that myself next purchase.
Also, it may be cheaper to just build it and upgrade in the long run.

The Yancey 01-10-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4054795)
Is this what came out to get the old desktop back? because I was hearing Microsoft was also going to release an update to get the old desktop back.

Yes, that was 8.1.