CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cedrick Cooper to DE (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203041)

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 04:37 PM

Cedrick Cooper to DE

GCC is reporting Cedrick Cooper is moving to DE.

Not sure how this is going to work....unless he is going to really put on weight.
Listed at 213...maybe closer to 220 now...but he is going to have to put on at least 20 pounds this off season.

CarolinaGnB521 01-10-2014 04:40 PM

Re: Cedrick Cooper to DE

Could turn out looking like a good move. With the talented young freshman we have at LB, Coop might see the field more at DE.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 (Post 4054752)
Could turn out looking like a good move. With the talented young freshman we have at LB, Coop might see the field more at DE.

That is the plan...to get him on the field.
Just not sure how he will do at DE...but, you have to get your best athletes on the field, and he is one of our best athletes.

garnet_black215 01-10-2014 04:44 PM

If he's able to add about 25-30 pounds, he could be really good there.

CoverTwo 01-10-2014 04:50 PM

He played there in the bowl game, pointed it out last week.

usc1 01-10-2014 04:51 PM

The DE spot for us is like the Island of Misfit Toys.

garnet_black215 01-10-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoverTwo (Post 4054765)
He played there in the bowl game, pointed it out last week.

How do you see this move working out? Assuming, of course, he adds the necessary weight.

CarolinaGnB521 01-10-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4054766)
The DE spot for us is like the Island of Misfit Toys.

Sooo true. Hopefully it works out.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet_black215 (Post 4054767)
How do you see this move working out? Assuming, of course, he adds the necessary weight.

It worked for Melvin Ingram...but Melvin was also 260 pounds and got too big to play LB. He was also 230 when he came to USC.

It is hard to gauge Cooper simply because he hasn't been on the field that much with his injuries. I've heard he is a vicious hitter and is good against the run...so it could work. He will have the chance to start immediately if he can get between 235-240.

Gamecocks321 01-10-2014 05:08 PM

I tell you what, DE depth isn't a concern anymore. Now with Coop, that gives us (Dixon, Harris, English, Washington, Ritchie, Thomas, and Sawyer) and if we land Wideman and Caldwell, that will give us 10 DE's in 2014. But I'm sure they would have to RS Ritchie and may another player.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 (Post 4054788)
I tell you what, DE depth isn't a concern anymore. Now with Coop, that gives us (Dixon, Harris, English, Washington, Ritchie, Thomas, and Sawyer) and if we land Wideman and Caldwell, that will give us 10 DE's in 2014. But I'm sure they would have to RS Ritchie and may another player.

I do know there are concerns Ritchie may have to go JUCO.
But on roster, it looks promising.
I still think Dixon starts at one, and if Thomas gets in he will start at the other.
Then, let Cooper, Harris, Washington and English battle it out for second string...could also run a mean rabbit package.

Q: Has English redshirted yet? just thinking maybe he could benefit from a RS to gain weight.

Wiz Khalifa 01-10-2014 05:12 PM

Could be a great move for him. I always thought from a physical standpoint that he was better on the DLine or as a pass rushing LB. I would love to know his wingspan because it has to be quite impressive. Coop's knuckles almost drag the ground. lol. I think that will be a great move for him and our team.

Gamecocks321 01-10-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterboy (Post 4054792)
I do know there are concerns Ritchie may have to go JUCO.
But on roster, it looks promising.
I still think Dixon starts at one, and if Thomas gets in he will start at the other.
Then, let Cooper, Harris, Washington and English battle it out for second string...could also run a mean rabbit package.

Q: Has English redshirted yet? just thinking maybe he could benefit from a RS to gain weight.

Yeah, I heard that about Ritchie. As for English, yeah he RS his first year. He's going to be RS SO this year. Also, I forgot about Gerald Turner. So I think it's safe to say we're LOADED at DE, but many are young, inexperienced, and/or undersized. Should make for an interesting off-season. But yeah, I agree that Dixon/Thomas will be our starters and if we get Caldwell, I fully expect him to crack the two deep.

Rh Gamecock 01-10-2014 05:23 PM

Imo i believe he is closer to 225 hard to imagine him only being 205.

Cockypantherfan 01-10-2014 05:26 PM

He better eat anything and everything in sight from now until the season and bust his ass in the gym if he wants to add that much weight.

usc1 01-10-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 (Post 4054804)
Yeah, I heard that about Ritchie. As for English, yeah he RS his first year. He's going to be RS SO this year. Also, I forgot about Gerald Turner. So I think it's safe to say we're LOADED at DE, but many are young, inexperienced, and/or undersized. Should make for an interesting off-season. But yeah, I agree that Dixon/Thomas will be our starters and if we get Caldwell, I fully expect him to crack the two deep.

I'm not sure that goes hand in hand. If you think we're loaded at DE then check out the rosters at every other SEC school and Clemson. Don't take me for being negative, just being realistic here.

Roosterboy 01-10-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock (Post 4054809)
Imo i believe he is closer to 225 hard to imagine him only being 205.

That is what I'm thinking...probably closer to 220 right now....just wonder how much is good weight since the injury. But, if he can up his meals and really hit the gym hard (which he will have a team dietitian and S&C) I think he can get to a good DE playing weight.

USCBASEBALL1 01-10-2014 05:40 PM

Personally don't think he will be a factor at DE but its worth a shot being he has been passed by younger LB's. I would expect this to be Coopers last year at SC unless he really improves.

GarnetSwarm1990 01-10-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4054814)
He better eat anything and everything in sight from now until the season and bust his ass in the gym if he wants to add that much weight.

You can say the same thing about several of the DE's

Gamecocks321 01-10-2014 05:55 PM

They couldn't move Coop over to safety if he lost some weight?