CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Preseason game/Playoff idea. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203049)

rioninusc 01-10-2014 07:56 PM

Preseason game/Playoff idea.

I could type up a huge paragraph, but will show y'all with next years schedule what could be the possibility if a 24 team playoff existed.

First there are 2 preseason games, They are our 2 lowest paid games usually 35 bucks for USC they still will be like home games, but wouldn't count against rankings, or chance at the playoff.

This playoff takes the conference champs as automatic bids, and 14 at larges depending on rankings. First 3 rounds are at the higher seeds stadiums, Last 2 rounds are like the 4 team playoff. Extra pointers, and how you folks like it or hate it is welcomed. I think this is the best because you get 8 tough teams a week off because they earned it, and 16 teams that will have to fight through adversity to win it all. Of course the conference champs aren't guaranteed the top 10 seeds, it's just they are a guaranteed bid.

Here is the next season as an example of how the season would play out.

Preseason

Aug 9 ECU
Aug 16 Furman

Season

Aug 21 TAMU
Aug 30 UGA
Sep 6 Vandy
Sep 13 Bye
Sep 20 Mizzou
Sep 27 UK
Oct 4 AU
Oct 11 UT
Oct 18 Bye
Oct 25 UF
Nov 1 South BAMA
Nov 8 Clemson
Nov 15 Conference Championship
Nov 21-22 First round of 24 team playoff, top 8 get bye week.
Nov 28-29 Second round 16 teams
Dec 6 Third round 8 teams
Dec 31 bowl Team #2-3
Jan 1 bowl Team #1-4
Jan 12 NCG.

uscfreek88 01-10-2014 10:08 PM

Re: Preseason game/Playoff idea.

19 games for a college team is pretty brutal, i just dont see how large playoffs like this can work b/c of the # of games it would take to finish the tournament out

i think 8 is going to be where it ends up at

Thenardier 01-10-2014 11:05 PM

That would be a lot of games.

SC Tag 01-10-2014 11:12 PM

Yeah you would definitely either have to pay players or let them go to the draft their sophomore years if this were even to be considered.

rioninusc 01-11-2014 02:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscfreek88 (Post 4055055)
19 games for a college team is pretty brutal, i just dont see how large playoffs like this can work b/c of the # of games it would take to finish the tournament out i think 8 is going to be where it ends up at

I think it will end up at 8 as well, but the fcs champion, and runner up, play 17 games a year with no bye weeks. So that is the ultimate brutal Imo.( this playoff follows the same format as the FCS) This is my dream scenario, and it's not like every team plays 19 games it would take a #9-24 seed to make it to the final game, and play in their conference championship. So most likely 17 to 18 games played by the champ/runner up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4055099)
That would be a lot of games.

Yep, but imagine the added weeks of College football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Tag (Post 4055103)
Yeah you would definitely either have to pay players or let them go to the draft their sophomore years if this were even to be considered.

I think the first problem was when the season games was extended from 9, to 10 ,to 11, and ended up at 12. Even when retaliation was met before the games per season increased.

How about this:

- Get rid of the 2 preseason games all together. So 10 games a season.

-16 team playoff, same style, conf champs get in, 6 at large teams, but no bye weeks for top seeds. Motivation for higher seeds is to play potentially weaker competition on the way to the NCG.

14 games, or 15 games depending if the champion/runner up played in their conference championship game.