CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   has shaw passed lattimore as (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203082)

sc455 01-12-2014 01:04 AM

has shaw passed lattimore as

the most popular gamecock?

ConwayGamecock 01-12-2014 01:11 AM

Re: has shaw passed lattimore as

I don't have a problem with both being side by side.....also wouldn't mind adding a few more to the group over the next immediate years...

trapper82 01-12-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4056257)
the most popular gamecock?

There is a level you reach were you can't be passed, you can only be joined. Lattimore and Shaw are both there.

CarolinaGnB521 01-12-2014 01:20 AM

This question is nothing more than the opinion of an indivual poster. However, people will forever love and cherish every moment they ever witnessed of Lattimore. Every word he ever spoke to media, and every image of him will last forever. Such a humble, quiet guy with a work ethic that no one will ever forget. No one will ever stop caring and loving Marcus Lattimore.

But, at the same time, I don't think it's really on the same scale. People love Marcus because of who he is, and what he did. They love him even more for his strive for greatness and willpower to never give up. Marcus Lattimore built a fanbase across the entire nation. While some of it my be built off the heartache of his injuries, I believe in Gamecock Nation most of it was built off his characther.

Shaw is a different story completely. He was a leader on the field even when he wasn't on the field. People like to think that Garcia and Shaw had some type of rivalry which isn't true. They just weren't close friends like Shaw and Thompson. Shaw will forever be loved and remembered by Gamecocks for his W's, and his character. A QB that didn't get in trouble for once and did all the right things, said all the right things. He failed to light up the stat book in terms of yards or attempts, but not only did he get the job done, but he got the job done well. As a 3 year starters and 4 year player he has the best career ever as a QB for the Gamecocks - and he was one of the most valuable players in the country, not only at his position, but in College. He didn't win any awards or get the nominations/recognition he deserved but he just did all the right things.

So in my opinion - which is mine - I think Shaw did pass Lattimore as the "most popular Gamecock" but it would be hard for him to pass Lattimore as the "most loved". But to each his own, and they are both tremendous young men and Gamecocks, and we couldn't have been luckier to have them both.

Garnet/Black Fan 01-12-2014 01:20 AM

I honestly didnt think it was possible to get any better, character-wise, as Marcus Lattimore. That guy is incredible and i believe he started something here at USC, Connor Shaw followed suit, and now we have a TEAM that is chocked full of high character guys. I will forever believe that ML is the catalyst of the team we have today, and our coaches are always looking for guys like him! With that i have to say Marcus is ahead of Connor in that aspect, albeit not by much at all.

MWard 01-12-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper82 (Post 4056266)
There is a level you reach were you can't be passed, you can only be joined. Lattimore and Shaw are both there.

^this:clap:

M.C. 01-12-2014 01:42 AM

i have a bunch of favorites and they are both on my list

Regalcock 01-12-2014 02:13 AM

I think Gilmore doesn't get the credit he deserves for being a start to the change in our team character but those two took us to another level of team accountability.

CarolinaGnB521 01-12-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regalcock (Post 4056296)
I think Gilmore doesn't get the credit he deserves for being a start to the change in our team character but those two took us to another level of team accountability.

Neither does Alshon Jeffery, or if you were to come around these boards in 2009/2010, Eric Norwood anymore. I mean, seriously, anyone who turns around to face the band during the alma mater has to get some love, right?

uscsandstorm85 01-12-2014 03:19 AM

They are both part of a group that started the question why not us.

Gamecocks1137 01-12-2014 03:45 AM

They are two of the best in my book. I am glad they chose to put on the garnet and black, and honor it with every step they took attending our great university.

BlueHerons 01-12-2014 05:43 AM

Why does it have to be one or the other? Love them both.

BigSteven34 01-12-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

This is one of the most truthful and poignant things I've read on here.

MizzouTrav 01-12-2014 08:43 AM

From a national stand point....it seems this argument should be between Clowney & Lattimore.

Carolina4Life 01-12-2014 09:56 AM

I don't understand why everybody is shocked that we had and still have players that are class acts. They're coached under Spurrier, it's the way things are ran.

yazoo 01-12-2014 10:24 AM

Melvin Ingram was another great leader. Honestly, all these players have different personalities and are worthy of respect.

Dizzy01 01-12-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

This is true but we also must accept the reality that no matter how well loved a player is now new guys constantly come and they are replaced by the next flavor of the month.

lilhornet 01-12-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regalcock (Post 4056296)

Spurrier will tell you that the 2009 class is really what started the change for South Carolina Football. Stephon Gilmore, Devonte Holloman, D.J Swearinger, Alshon Jeffery, Damario Jeffery.

Spurrier_Superior_One 01-12-2014 11:37 AM

This temptation comes up over year with such and such player are the best/greatest/popular Gamecock but you cannot compare one player to another because each player brought something different. A couple of examples who is the greatest Gamecock that would be simple that would be George Rogers since he has the Heisman or who is the best QB is Tommy Suggs, Todd Ellis, Stephen Garcia, Connor Shaw. Tommy Suggs is the only QB who won a conference title, Todd Ellis the best stat QB, Garcia being the first QB to beat UGA, UF, UT, and Clemson in the same season, first to QB to beat #1, then you got Connor Shaw the QB with the most wins. Let each player contribution stand on its own merit there is no need to make comparisons because different players meant different things to different people.

Stuck in Virginia 01-12-2014 11:51 AM

I like them both but Shaw surpasses in my book because he stayed all four years and completed a degree. It is college and the degree should be the ultimate goal. Too many go on to pro, get injured and then what? If you don't have the degree, you've got a life problem. Athletic scholarship students should include a basic course in finance so they are better prepared in case of career ending injury.